Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #402
First 1000 miles on the turbo. Still running great.
Pulls like a damn freight train still!
Loving it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #404
A freight train pulls slow...a bullet train hauls...FYI.🕺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Awesome info man! I appreciate it. Great contribution to the community. We need more like you!

As a novice, how long did it take you and what were the worst parts? Any tips to share?

Thanks
Lots of headaches honestly. First one was me breaking the v-band clamp. I got it fixed by a local diesel mechanic though ao no biggy. Most of the headaches were me not putting things on in the correct order though. Thats just me being a rookie though. Id get something put on, and then Id have to take it right back off to put something else on first.

It took me probably 4-5 6 hour days for me and my buddy to get it all sorted out. It was a great experience though. I learned a lot about the car and just in general. As far as tips go Id say A) be patient, B) do your research (Deadhook has an install guide for a Garrett turbo, and though its not identical its helpful), C) ask the boys at Mountune plenty of questions. Theyre super helpful!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Or you could just ask Brura22...he seems to have all the answers on it all....feel free to Pm him and ask away. He's definitely the guy for your questions on it all! 🖒

Or you could just ask Brura22...he seems to have all the answers on it all....feel free to Pm him and ask away. He's definitely the guy for your questions on it all! ??????

He was quite helpful when I asked him a few questions. Fiestas gotta stick together!

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
My biggest trouble was getting the coolant lines and oil drain installed with the turbo. PIA. Also do not forget to order a bov!!! Reached out to Randy on the 4th of July and to my surprise he emailed me back. That is astonishing customer service![thumb]

Yeah the coolant lines were a bit of a headache for me too. I ended up having to buy a longer section of hose to run from the coolant overflow, not that thats a big deal. Agreed though their customer service is top notch! Randy sent me a new tune today at 0120 PST haha

curious as to what wastegate only boost is?
Bryan told me that base tunes start off on whatever psi load the wastegate is on. So for our c39 ,my wastegate has a 17psi spring. So my base pd tune saw a max of 17 psi off the bat .

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wouldn't a 18lb or 19lb. spring be more appropriate for usage on any of our turbos that aren't stock as that's when the wastegate starts to open?

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #415
11ish PSI is regular wastegate.
If you preloaded it, a few higher.

I've HEARD a good rule of thumb is half of your max psi should be what your zero'd out WG is..
According to self proclaimed performance gurus

Be aware that what ever spring you choose that is the lowest peak boost you can have ever for instance a preloaded 19lb will probably be around 20 to 21 pounds at the least.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
First drive out. Feels like boost comes on smoother at low rpms. Still on base map waiting for a few parts.

antarctica24

You're misunderstanding what we're saying. The spool characteristics of the mountune turbo are similar to a bigger power turbo like the 360r without the power to make up for it. The hybrid has a totally different powerband and one that is going to be much more usable and fun, especially on the streets.
I think you have to put this in perspective. Yes they are different, however, this is not an OTS 2554R. It has a custom 11 blade fan, and if you look at the graph supplied by Mountune, it is saying 275, my buddy in Raleigh just got the 2nd tune from Randy at Mountune and he is knocking on 300/300 on 93. Their waiting for the temp to come down to the 70's to do another run. Being the only car out here over 175,000 miles, I have a lot of driving on this car, with a stage 3 setup. All of the torque down low is a lot of fun,......fun spinning the wheels that is, blowwing off rubber, lots of torque steer. I guess fun is in the eye of the beholder. This turbo pull s like freight train all the way to 7000. And you can drive it. The way it spins up it is so much more manageable than my current setup and in my opinion more fun to drive. Im not saying the x47 or DHM's setup are bad, they each their place. This one was configured and designed by a company that has been doing this so much longer than the others and they started with a housing that had been around even longer. Sometimes you just have to go with experience. That doesnt mean the others are not capable of delivering great product. There are lots of customer reviews about how great their products are. But when it comes down to it, if your making 300 ft lbs of torque at 2500 rpm, and its not a rear drive car, you are having to manhandle the car. The mountune graph is the nicest smoothest looking turbo graph of everything that has been put forth so far and from a company that has decades of experience over everyone else in this segment and this brand. I had an x-47 right here, and I sold it and went with the Mountune.