Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #641
Sounds logical!

What's the limiting factor? It won't bolt up? The rod too long / short?
They just don't make it. The ATP one will be just fine.
A WG is a WG to me, as long as the spring holds pressure then it's all the same

I think they do but you would need new springs for it since it is only 7psi. But then you could have a variety of springs for testing.

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Pro...rrett-GT2860RS-Disco-Potato-7-PSI-Black.html#

If you click the applications tab under the picture on that link, it has specs on the actuator rods. It looks very similar to the MRX actuator.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I don't believe so. I think that is a picture of Typhoons GT2554 that I requested a picture of. But I still think the mrx and the one he showed a picture of use a GT28 sized actuator.
It does look similar. The extension on the Mrx is threaded but still has that same piece in the middle.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
That doesn't help at all... I was asking WHY a Turbosmart WG couldn't be adapted to use on the MRX. I know they don't make one for this application (learned that earlier) but really, we're all in for custom modifications anyways.

I bet it's just the rod difference, but then again, I'm no expert!

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #645
That doesn't help at all... I was asking WHY a Turbosmart WG couldn't be adapted to use on the MRX. I know they don't make one for this application (learned that earlier) but really, we're all in for custom modifications anyways.

I bet it's just the rod difference, but then again, I'm no expert!

Who knows. Probably the bracket and rod.
Email turbosmart and ask about a 2554 IWG. They'd probably know.

I certainly agree on the lack of specs. If all the things you asked for help a customer determine what is the best turbo for them, I'm thinking they should be sharing that information. When I order my tune I will take your list and ask for it. You make a good argument for the billet weighing more. If you access to the parts weigh them out and let's see what it says. I would be really curious.

Mountune claimed 275/275. Weve made 300/300. I think with some meth e30 or equilivant 335 is certainly doable based on what randy is speculating. Only time will tell.

What would an upgraded wastegate give me?
I think 300/300 is very respectable. If perhaps the turbo has more in it, a stiffer wastegate will not only allow you to hold peak boost longer but also possibly make more peak boost pressure and horsepower. In theory people could be running into the is of the wastegate being forced open by the exhaust gases.

Back in the day, turbine housing A/R's were spec'ed per application because internal wastegates were a new technology and added expense. So they would spec a larger A/R exhaust housing when the application needed more power (but lose transient response and spool) and a smaller A/R for when they wanted less power (quicker spool, but higher back pressure which limits peak boost, and peak wheel speed). With the advent of wastegates, it allows you to run a smaller turbine housing to obtain that quick transient response but not overspeed the unit or create too much backpressure and heat. They also serve as a safety device in that it will be forced open if the actuator ever loses vacuum reference or possibly has a leak. In tuning you can try to demand 40psi, but if the wastegate actuator just doesn't have enough spring pressure to keep the wastegate closed under High boost, then it will just automatically start bleeding exhaust gasses which in turn limits peak wheel velocity if the turbine housing can support it.

In testing it showed that on the BorgWarner EFR turbos twin port wastegate flappers, there is so exhaust force exerted onto the wastegate assembly that even if the spring in the actuator can hold it, the bracket supporting the actuator was bending allowing it to open prematurely. Now this was this was an EFR unit that a company was building a kit for and made their own wastegate actuator bracket and not one that came from Borg.

These are the specs for a turbosmarts 2860 wastegate. Edit: never mind not sure how to upload their photo at the moment.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I think they do but you would need new springs for it since it is only 7psi. But then you could have a variety of springs for testing.

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Pro...rrett-GT2860RS-Disco-Potato-7-PSI-Black.html#

If you click the applications tab under the picture on that link, it has specs on the actuator rods. It looks very similar to the MRX actuator.
Testing will not be fun on this turbo. The WG is impossible to adjust without removing the turbo.

I think 300/300 is very respectable. If perhaps the turbo has more in it, a stiffer wastegate will not only allow you to hold peak boost longer but also possibly make more peak boost pressure and horsepower. In theory people could be running into the is of the wastegate being forced open by the exhaust gases.

Back in the day, turbine housing A/R's were spec'ed per application because internal wastegates were a new technology and added expense. So they would spec a larger A/R exhaust housing when the application needed more power (but lose transient response and spool) and a smaller A/R for when they wanted less power (quicker spool, but higher back pressure which limits peak boost, and peak wheel speed). With the advent of wastegates, it allows you to run a smaller turbine housing to obtain that quick transient response but not overspeed the unit or create too much backpressure and heat. They also serve as a safety device in that it will be forced open if the actuator ever loses vacuum reference or possibly has a leak. In tuning you can try to demand 40psi, but if the wastegate actuator just doesn't have enough spring pressure to keep the wastegate closed under High boost, then it will just automatically start bleeding exhaust gasses which in turn limits peak wheel velocity if the turbine housing can support it.

In testing it showed that on the BorgWarner EFR turbos twin port wastegate flappers, there is so exhaust force exerted onto the wastegate assembly that even if the spring in the actuator can hold it, the bracket supporting the actuator was bending allowing it to open prematurely. Now this was this was an EFR unit that a company was building a kit for and made their own wastegate actuator bracket and not one that came from Borg.
Exactly my point. I think the WG is getting pushed open after the intial hit of the tubro causing the pressures to dip.

antarctica24

Ok so we need to figure out what the wastegate we have is good for, and what our options are. It sounds like what your saying is we want one that will hold more boost but not at the expense that the psi is bending the wg rod, right?

As for the larger elbow, I see that diesel trucks benefit from this and cyborg and the x-47 have an option for the large elbow. Why is this not an option on the Mountune turbo? Would the system benefit from having it in your opinion? Is it a myth in your opinion? Or are we just talking about 2 hp gain?

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #650
Ok so we need to figure out what the wastegate we have is good for, and what our options are. It sounds like what your saying is we want one that will hold more boost but not at the expense that the psi is bending the wg rod, right?

As for the larger elbow, I see that diesel trucks benefit from this and cyborg and the x-47 have an option for the large elbow. Why is this not an option on the Mountune turbo? Would the system benefit from having it in your opinion? Is it a myth in your opinion? Or are we just talking about 2 hp gain?
Lmao have you seen the elbow on the MRX? It's fucking massive, like the biggest I've seen.

As far as WG goes it's already figured out.
The current WG is 11 psi, preloaded holds about 14 psi when zeroed out.
Preloaded WG held boost better up top. Confirmed.

Get yourself a 22 psi WG and you'll be just dandy.
The only reason to get a lower than 22 psi spring WG would be to run lower than 22 psi of boost when zeroed out. Which really is pointless cause we have a 3 port EBC to control boost...

Anyways, a 22 psi WG WILL hold boost better up top. Our current WG starts to creep open way too early and drop at the end, the 22 psi WG won't even think about starting to open until you're damn near redline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #651

That elbow is larger than all hybrids.. then has a coupler that allows the stock size/aftermarket intakes to bolt up. Which is exactly what the hybrids do.
No room for improvement

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #652
OKAY HERE WE GO.

Official Announcement from Mountune.

They have an optional upgraded Wastegate option in testing and HAS been in testing for several weeks now.
The guys over there DO read these forums and they're listening.

They see what everyone is complaining about with the units and are working on an upgrade!

Cheers

Correct in regards to the wastegate. I am not sure if it will bend the rod, bracket or just be completely fine. Adding a stiffer wastegate may in fact do absolutely nothing also! The stock MRX turbo may be maxed out from either total compressor flow capability and or turbine exhaust flow and the actuator they provide could be perfect that sized turbo.

On your second question, are you asking in regards to the larger intake elbows? If so, honestly I am not well qualified on answering that question but I will throw ideas out. From what I can tell, the MRX uses around a 3 to 3 1/2 compressor inlet with re circulation/surge ports built in. I think it will support well into the 400+ horsepower with that size if it had the compressor wheel for it. I think the elbow on the X47 probably smooths the transition from the intake assembly tube diameter to the size of the compressor inlet of the X47. I speculate that it is both for fitment and for airflow improvement properties. If an intake is designed poorly and creates to many vortices or not enough going into the compressor inlet, making the air be choppy and unstable it can hamper performance. In all honesty, at this horsepower level, I bet the gains would be negligible, but again don't take my word on this. That statement is pure speculation, my research and knowledge on this mainly stems from reading on cylinder head intake and exhaust port designs and I am not sure it translates into the world of turbochargers.

OKAY HERE WE GO.

They have an optional upgraded Wastegate option in testing and HAS been in testing for several weeks now.

They see what everyone is complaining about with the units and are working on an upgrade!

Cheers

Thank you for communicating that with us Brura22. I hope they hop on here and communicate their results with us. That would be awesome!

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #655
Correct in regards to the wastegate. I am not sure if it will bend the rod, bracket or just be completely fine. Adding a stiffer wastegate may in fact do absolutely nothing also! The stock MRX turbo may be maxed out from either total compressor flow capability and or turbine exhaust flow and the actuator they provide could be perfect that sized turbo.

On your second question, are you asking in regards to the larger intake elbows? If so, honestly I am not well qualified on answering that question but I will throw ideas out. From what I can tell, the MRX uses around a 3 to 3 1/2 compressor inlet with re circulation/surge ports built in. I think it will support well into the 400+ horsepower with that size if it had the compressor wheel for it. I think the elbow on the X47 probably smooths the transition from the intake assembly tube diameter to the size of the compressor inlet of the X47. I speculate that it is both for fitment and for airflow improvement properties. If an intake is designed poorly and creates to many vortices or not enough going into the compressor inlet, making the air be choppy and unstable it can hamper performance. In all honesty, at this horsepower level, I bet the gains would be negligible, but again don't take my word on this. That statement is pure speculation, my research and knowledge on this mainly stems from reading on cylinder head intake and exhaust port designs and I am not sure it translates into the world of turbochargers.
I've seen an x27 make 29 psi with a 17 psi WG.
I don't think this thing is anywhere near limits.
I really do think we're hitting WG problems.

Although it's not really a PROBLEM. Cause I'm still making crazy good power IMO [emoji854]

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
OKAY HERE WE GO.

Cheers

Alright so this is good and it pisses me off at the same time. What about the people who already bought? Do we just get screwed? I feel kind of special though, being the one who diagnosed this problem! LOL Mountune if you are reading this you are welcome. Now take care of the people who bought the first 20 or so units with the weak gates.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I've seen an x27 make 29 psi with a 17 psi WG.
I don't think this thing is anywhere near limits.
I really do think we're hitting WG problems.

Although it's not really a PROBLEM. Cause I'm still making crazy good power IMO [emoji854]

A re-tune will be in order. THe new gate will diminish the WGDC ALOT!!!

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #658
Alright so this is good and it pisses me off at the same time. What about the people who already bought? Do we just get screwed? I feel kind of special though, being the one who diagnosed this problem! LOL Mountune if you are reading this you are welcome. Now take care of the people who bought the first 20 or so units with the weak gates.
I believe, not from what I've been told, just guessing from the way they worded it, it'll be an optional upgrade.
Not something that we got screwed on.
It'll just be an option to purchase when you buy the kit.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Yeah, good luck with that[thumb]

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I believe, not from what I've been told, just guessing from the way they worded it, it'll be an optional upgrade.
Not something that we got screwed on.
It'll just be an option to purchase when you buy the kit.

It's a BS money grab. I wouldnt trust a gate they sent out. Ill test one out for them but im sure as hell aint paying for it.

Yeah, good luck with that[thumb]
I know. It's bs.