Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

HAHA I know right. Fact is, they sold a shit gate to people not designed for this turbo really.
I wouldn't say it is a shit wastegate, because for most, it is probably perfect and more importantly it is safe, reliable, ect. Now if you had put the turbo on just coming from a stock turbo and it made only 20 more whp than stock and the wastegate was the cause then yes, by all means flame on. But for the people who want slightly more its a good addition and the people who want ALOT more, mainly people who frequent a forum like this, it definitely leaves something to be desired.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #662
I wouldn't say it is a shit wastegate, because for most, it is probably perfect and more importantly it is safe, reliable, ect. Now if you had put the turbo on just coming from a stock turbo and it made only 20 more whp than stock and the wastegate was the cause then yes, by all means flame on. But for the people who want slightly more its a good addition and the people who want ALOT more, mainly people who frequent a forum like this, it definitely leaves something to be desired.
That's what I'm saying. I'm still making the power and MORE than what was advertised with this kit.
I honestly don't feel screwed at all. I got what I paid for and what was advertised!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I agree to an extent. Most people who look into a turbo upgrade are looking for power. I see what you are saying about the demographic.

As long as I make around what Brura made. I'll be happy. Now if they wanna send me an upgraded WG to test out for free I'd do it. I don't really wanna take it all apart again but it is pretty simple after completing it.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #668
I am so confued at this point. Do you guys need a longer rod, a stiffer rod or both? [shhh]
We need a stiffer spring/WG.
Rod has nothing to do with this other than length to work on the turbo lol

I am so confued at this point. Do you guys need a longer rod, a stiffer rod or both? [shhh]
Well personally im sure some females I have been with would have wished for both at some point in time! But in terms of the MRX, I think just a stiffer wastgate spring inside of the canister would make everyone aware of exactly what this turbo is capable of instead of the 275-300whp figures early testing has shown on the stock arrangement.

Ish

It's like Call of Duty releasing a new game that's similar to their old games with "ok" maps for 60 dollars, then a few months later they release a DLC maps for 20 dollars. Which are better than the old maps lol. I hated that shit..

It's like Call of Duty releasing a new game that's similar to their old games with "ok" maps for 60 dollars, then a few months later they release a DLC maps for 20 dollars. Which are better than the old maps lol. I hated that shit..
Nothing is worse than the release of Battle Front 1 star wars. "Here people buy this game with zero campaign mode and also pay us 100 more dollars to get the DLC that we will release in 8 months."

antarctica24

Lmao have you seen the elbow on the MRX? It's fucking massive, like the biggest I've seen.

As far as WG goes it's already figured out.
The current WG is 11 psi, preloaded holds about 14 psi when zeroed out.
Preloaded WG held boost better up top. Confirmed.

Get yourself a 22 psi WG and you'll be just dandy.
The only reason to get a lower than 22 psi spring WG would be to run lower than 22 psi of boost when zeroed out. Which really is pointless cause we have a 3 port EBC to control boost...

Anyways, a 22 psi WG WILL hold boost better up top. Our current WG starts to creep open way too early and drop at the end, the 22 psi WG won't even think about starting to open until you're damn near redline.

Sent from my iPhone
I sont think the wastegate is what is making or breaking the power on this car. I think I'm this case it's the intake, piping, and fmic. It's all about moving as much air as possible, right? This car has a built in boost controller and the wg is holding boost then the bc takes over. If the boost controller wasn't part of the system then I think you would be right. If a upgraded wastegate would benefit or was needed Mountune would offer one and so would atp. It's money. You wouldn't sell the turbo then say we don't want you to make anymore power. Randy has already said we were flowing more air than any other fiesta st he's tuned so far. The wastegate may be a factor on a car without a boost controller but not this car.

it seems people want more, but in all fairness the MRX is delivering on advertised gains no?
More than actually. But there is more to be had and the wastegate seems to limit it.

I sont think the wastegate is what is making or breaking the power on this car. I think I'm this case it's the intake, piping, and fmic. It's all about moving as much air as possible, right? This car has a built in boost controller and the wg is holding boost then the bc takes over. If the boost controller wasn't part of the system then I think you would be right. If a upgraded wastegate would benefit or was needed Mountune would offer one and so would atp. It's money. You wouldn't sell the turbo then say we don't want you to make anymore power. Randy has already said we were flowing more air than any other fiesta st he's tuned so far. The wastegate may be a factor on a car without a boost controller but not this car.
Sure the name of the game is Volumetric Efficiency+Thermal Management = HorsePowwwwaaaaa. The easier the air goes in and out, the better off you are. I would not disagree that on some of these peoples cars there could be some areas where volumetric efficiency could be enhanced. But the general rule of thumb is that you never try to run more than double the boost pressure than what the wastegate spring is rated at. So people have been saying that the MRX is an 11lb spring, then 22psi will be roughly around its limits +/-. Since there is alot of variances of results based on the actuators diaphram size and spring size that can create slight variations in results.

Think of the wastegate as a door. If you put a 100 pound of weight behind the door keeping it closed, but only have 50 pounds of force pushing the door, the door wont open. But if you exceed 100 pounds of force against that door, then the door will open. No matter what electronic nannies you have to control the wastegate, if the exhaust force and or backpressure exceeds the springs strenght, it will open whether it wants to or not. I would assume the 11psi actuator used from Mountune was originally used for the fact that if there is ever an issue and the turbo starts only running wastegate pressure that it will never exceed safe limits that the engine and tuning can handle. If people start running a 22psi actuator, there will be no more safety cushion, so if there is ever a point the turbo runs on only wastegate pressure, the turbo may go into full overspeed chaos mode and hurt the engine, or itself.

Here is something from Gale Banks who is a really knowledgeable guy when it comes to turbochargers.

http://bankspower.com/techarticles/show/15-How-a-Turbo-Wastegate-Works

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #676
Did you read the other posts I made?
Mountune has an upgraded WG in testing for this turbo.... sooo clearly they think it'll benefit and they PLAN to offer one.

The Intake and elbow are NO issue. DHM made 400+ with the same elbow and Intake pipe size.

The WG literally explains the "problem" or limit.

It's delivering on its promise, people just want more.

Adam agrees the WG isn't on par with the turbos capabilities.. Does that convince you?

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #677
OKAY HERE WE GO.

Official Announcement from Mountune.

They have an optional upgraded Wastegate option in testing and HAS been in testing for several weeks now.
The guys over there DO read these forums and they're listening.

They see what everyone is complaining about with the units and are working on an upgrade!

Cheers

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #678
I'm amazed people are critical of Mountune testing a new WG.
The turbo delivers on all its advertisements and more.
They're recognizing that there's more to be had and offering it up...
I don't think it's an effort to just get money. More like giving the customers what they want, even though they already held up their promises with the original performance numbers [emoji23]

I agree, i stopped playing COD when it became Halo with the jumpy shit lol.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Need to research turbos a bit more.

Did you read the other posts I made?
Mountune has an upgraded WG in testing for this turbo.... sooo clearly they think it'll benefit and they PLAN to offer one.

The Intake and elbow are NO issue. DHM made 400+ with the same elbow and Intake pipe size.

The WG literally explains the "problem" or limit.

It's delivering on its promise, people just want more.

Adam agrees the WG isn't on par with the turbos capabilities.. Does that convince you?
I made the point about the WG a long way back.