Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Good vid. Closed track hahahha!!!
Yeah, kind of surprised that they chanced that on SoCal surface public streets where the LEOs are 'ears perked' attuned for ANY and ALL street racing type activities, with VERY dire consequences when caught. [dunno]

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #947
Yes, and so many on here called me out for not knowing the western/red state lingo/slang for desolate/empty roads with no police presence ("Mexico"). [???:)]
That's a worldwide term..
Used by 1320 videos primarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That's a worldwide term..
Used by 1320 videos primarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, so shoot me for NOT coming from the sport compact/import drag racing/riceboy world, and not having seen even ONE of said 1320 vids. [rolleyes] LOL

Last edited:

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
May I ask an additional question? What did you do to help control torque steer? Did the installation of an lsd help? Was their anything else that help you control your launches?
As a foreword there is never zero torque steer. Ill use minimal to describe near stock levels. I'll range upwards from there: noticeable and excessive. Excessive is the 2003 Eclipse GTS I had (it could change lanes at WOT if I let it).

I'll be 100% honest with you so take it as you will: I've only had one experience where I thought torque steer was excessive. A friend wanted to experience a launch, and I didnt turn off traction control. It was a quick and effective reminder to always turn it off. I turned it off and it didn't happen again.

Another situation I get noticeable torque steer:

Going WOT during merging actions and canted surfaces on cold Rival-S tires (which is stupid anyway). Once both drive tires are warm, it doesn't happen... It's predictable, and I can replicate it. I learned this after one experience and decided I would experiment with it because I needed to know the car. Cold tires + merge/canted surface = torque steer. Take away one of those factors and there's minimal torque steer.

The mods that might have helped: 6-point brace, coilovers (I set mine up for a slight rake), and possibly alignment. I noticed I had some noticeable torque steer after my coilover install. It was back down to minimal after the alignment. Lastly, I don't have an LSD.

I only have noticeable torque steer on cold summer tires. On slicks I don't have any. On all-seasons I don't have any...probably because they just break loose and cry.

Ish

Yeah, kind of surprised that they chanced that on SoCal surface public streets where the LEOs are 'ears perked' attuned for ANY and ALL street racing type activities, with VERY dire consequences when caught. [dunno]
I would NEVER participate in such activities[nono]. HENCE closed course. ESPECIALLY in Socal, where LEO'S have ears perked to such illegal activities [dictate]

antarctica24

As a foreword there is never zero torque steer. Ill use minimal to describe near stock levels. I'll range upwards from there: noticeable and excessive. Excessive is the 2003 Eclipse GTS I had (it could change lanes at WOT if I let it).

I'll be 100% honest with you so take it as you will: I've only had one experience where I thought torque steer was excessive. A friend wanted to experience a launch, and I didnt turn off traction control. It was a quick and effective reminder to always turn it off. I turned it off and it didn't happen again.

Another situation I get noticeable torque steer:

Going WOT during merging actions and canted surfaces on cold Rival-S tires (which is stupid anyway). Once both drive tires are warm, it doesn't happen... It's predictable, and I can replicate it. I learned this after one experience and decided I would experiment with it because I needed to know the car. Cold tires + merge/canted surface = torque steer. Take away one of those factors and there's minimal torque steer.

The mods that might have helped: 6-point brace, coilovers (I set mine up for a slight rake), and possibly alignment. I noticed I had some noticeable torque steer after my coilover install. It was back down to minimal after the alignment. Lastly, I don't have an LSD.

I only have noticeable torque steer on cold summer tires. On slicks I don't have any. On all-seasons I don't have any...probably because they just break loose and cry.
Ok, so that I am clear, you are saying, that it is the factory traction control, that is causing torque steer in some certain situations and I should turn it off?

I like this version of you, very helpful, non condescending, helping those of us who are new to these situations. It is very easy to like and have respect for you when you communicate like this. Coming from someone like yourself who has a lot of real world experience with this car, I really appreciate you taking the time and consideration to explain it to someone like myself, who has zero experience with a front wheel drive high horsepower vehicle. I am very grateful for your help.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Ok, so that I am clear, you are saying, that it is the factory traction control, that is causing torque steer in some certain situations and I should turn it off?

I like this version of you, very helpful, non condescending, helping those of us who are new to these situations. It is very easy to like and have respect for you when you communicate like this. Coming from someone like yourself who has a lot of real world experience with this car, I really appreciate you taking the time and consideration to explain it to someone like myself, who has zero experience with a front wheel drive high horsepower vehicle. I am very grateful for your help.
In all fairness, Hijinx is/was the only vender on this site that has answered all of my questions 100%

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran

I've always made it a habit to turn off traction control in my cars. Exception was the 06 Charger R/T Road and Track package (Super Bee ECU, bolstered Alcántara seats, suspension and exhaust without the labeling and serial number) I had. It was my first RWD car so at first I only turned it off occasionally to get a feel for how RWD reacts. Anyway, when I got my FiST, I did the same as normal...made it a habit to turn off TSC.

Story time: A couple years ago, I was with Rodmoe and noticed he had gone as far as sticking a label on his radio that said "TSC OFF." He said the car does screwy things if you leave it on. At the time he was 380/340 with 93 and meth, and I was 290/280 or so. Im assuming the scene I described in regards to TSC is what Rodmoe meant by screwy.

So, basically, yes. Since it uses the brakes to act as an LSD, and it can be pretty aggressive, once one tire breaks loose the car can get into a tug of war with itself as the output overpowers the brakes. With that said, the other situations I mentioned did not include traction control.

Words are often misunderstood online and it comes down to how receptive people are. I also lean heavily towards treating people how they treat me and others. That lends me toward being prone to misunderstanding and being misunderstood, which I am used to and I have no qualms about it. If you know more than me, I am teacheable (I actually read up on your audio thread for a couple pages to decide if I wanted to down the audio road). But, if see false bravado I attack/defend...that's just my nature. This is no different version of me.

I've always made it a habit to turn off traction control in my cars. Exception was the 06 Charger R/T Road and Track package (Super Bee ECU, bolstered Alcántara seats, suspension and exhaust without the labeling and serial number) I had. It was my first RWD car so at first I only turned it off occasionally to get a feel for how RWD reacts. Anyway, when I got my FiST, I did the same as normal...made it a habit to turn off TSC.

Story time: A couple years ago, I was with Rodmoe and noticed he had gone as far as sticking a label on his radio that said "TSC OFF." He said the car does screwy things if you leave it on. At the time he was 380/340 with 93 and meth, and I was 290/280 or so. Im assuming the scene I described in regards to TSC is what Rodmoe meant by screwy.

So, basically, yes. Since it uses the brakes to act as an LSD, and it can be pretty aggressive, once one tire breaks loose the car can get into a tug of war with itself as the output overpowers the brakes. With that said, the other situations I mentioned did not include traction control.

Words are often misunderstood online and it comes down to how receptive people are. I also lean heavily towards treating people how they treat me and others. That lends me toward being prone to misunderstanding and being misunderstood, which I am used to and I have no qualms about it. If you know more than me, I am teacheable (I actually read up on your audio thread for a couple pages to decide if I wanted to down the audio road). But, if see false bravado I attack/defend...that's just my nature. This is no different version of me.
I always turn off the traction control, braking the wheel is not an appropriate strategy. Since I got the M-Factory LSD installed torque steer has been totally manageable.

antarctica24

Words are often misunderstood online and it comes down to how receptive people are. I also lean heavily towards treating people how they treat me and others. That lends me toward being prone to misunderstanding and being misunderstood, which I am used to and I have no qualms about it. If you know more than me, I am teachable (I actually read up on your audio thread for a couple pages to decide if I wanted to down the audio road). But, if see false bravado I attack/defend...that's just my nature. This is no different version of me.
I started with a Fiero and stuffed a northstar in there rated at 300/300. Being a front wheel drive situation stuffed in the back to make it a rear wheel drive car, there was nothing special about how that car handled traction. When I did the Trans am, 822WHP, and 653 TQ at 2500, and GTO 1000RWHP I stuff a Detroit locker in there and got me a carbon fiber drive shaft and disabled traction control which removed any chance of wheel slippage. Can the default behavior of traction control be defaulted to off, and pressing the button turning it on?

I cannot ever imagine what it would feel like making 380hp in this car. There is something about driving the bigger chassis of the trans am or GTO that felt more secure and rear wheel dirve. I have not taking it out of the highway and had my way with the pedal as of yet, everything has been on back roads. The power comes on so quick and sometimes feels overwhelming in this car compared to stock. Im not saying I could not drive one making more power, but according to the Vdyno, as I am still in the tuning process im around 260/260, and it feels so dumb quick forceful and aggressive. Way over what I had with my stock stage 3, and were not even talking about 30hp increase and 20 ft tq down, which makes me think vdyno is not telling everything that is going on. This feels like way more than 20hp especially when the dynojet said I was making 230hp and 280tq on stage 3 stock turbo.

The current tune is making 27psi at 4K according to the tuning log from the access port, which is wayyyyy over what stock was doing and I am moving 27lbs of air at 6900RPM and Randy is just getting started with the tune and I am running 92 Oct as that is all is available here in the northwest except for Racing fuel. My friend with the exact same setup is further along in the process and he has hit 29lbs of boost and over moving over 30 lbs of air at 7K if I remember correctly. I dont want to take it to the dyno jet until he is done. Can you offer any comments on what I'm feeling here?

On my other note, I offer my apologies if it was my arrogance that got you coming at me like you did, Had I gotten my head out of my ass about the MAF earlier on, I might could have prevented a lot of bs. No one ever likes to admit their wrong, but that kind of arrogance gets people into trouble, referring to myself. Its much easier to accept that their are people that know more than you do about certain subjects and learning that its ok, is a process. Not being arrogant about what you know also is a process that I am working on. Their may be hope for you and I after all. If you ever need any opinions about the audio I am more than willing to help you in any way you could need.

Again thank you for your time and patience.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I started with a Fiero and stuffed a northstar in there rated at 300/300. Being a front wheel drive situation stuffed in the back to make it a rear wheel drive car, there was nothing special about how that car handled traction. When I did the Trans am, 822WHP, and 653 TQ at 2500, and GTO 1000RWHP I stuff a Detroit locker in there and got me a carbon fiber drive shaft and disabled traction control which removed any chance of wheel slippage. Can the default behavior of traction control be defaulted to off, and pressing the button turning it on?

I cannot ever imagine what it would feel like making 380hp in this car. There is something about driving the bigger chassis of the trans am or GTO that felt more secure and rear wheel dirve. I have not taking it out of the highway and had my way with the pedal as of yet, everything has been on back roads. The power comes on so quick and sometimes feels overwhelming in this car compared to stock. Im not saying I could not drive one making more power, but according to the Vdyno, as I am still in the tuning process im around 260/260, and it feels so dumb quick forceful and aggressive. Way over what I had with my stock stage 3, and were not even talking about 30hp increase and 20 ft tq down, which makes me think vdyno is not telling everything that is going on. This feels like way more than 20hp especially when the dynojet said I was making 230hp and 280tq on stage 3 stock turbo.

The current tune is making 27psi at 4K according to the tuning log from the access port, which is wayyyyy over what stock was doing and I am moving 27lbs of air at 6900RPM and Randy is just getting started with the tune and I am running 92 Oct as that is all is available here in the northwest except for Racing fuel. My friend with the exact same setup is further along in the process and he has hit 29lbs of boost and over moving over 30 lbs of air at 7K if I remember correctly. I dont want to take it to the dyno jet until he is done. Can you offer any comments on what I'm feeling here?

On my other note, I offer my apologies if it was my arrogance that got you coming at me like you did, Had I gotten my head out of my ass about the MAF earlier on, I might could have prevented a lot of bs. No one ever likes to admit their wrong, but that kind of arrogance gets people into trouble, referring to myself. Its much easier to accept that their are people that know more than you do about certain subjects and learning that its ok, is a process. Not being arrogant about what you know also is a process that I am working on. Their may be hope for you and I after all. If you ever need any opinions about the audio I am more than willing to help you in any way you could need.

Again thank you for your time and patience.
I have two thoughts: I think you're feeling the power to weight ratio. Also, you experienced your car for many miles before you upgraded the turbo. So, I think that maybe you were just very familiar with the party winding down between 4-5krpm. Now, the party is just hitting full swing and continuing that way to the end. If you go back to the Cyborg in the beginning (before we all got bamboozled),I think you'll see a lot of people with nearly the same experience. We were all floored that the car just kept pulling instead of face-planting, even though it was only 220-250whp. It was enough to be door to door with a stock S197 on a roll. Those were good days... But, anyway, at first it is overwhelming. Even though I'd gone from 200, to 220, 300, 320, 350, 380, 430+ (est by datalog when the engine blew) finally driving my fresh build at 425 was harrowing at first. Our cars are light enough that 20whp can make a difference and like modding any car, you'll come to be familiar with it.

As for vdyno... Unless you have datalogs on the same road, in similar conditions with your stock turbo setup, I'd ignore vdyno and trust my gut. If you do have them, plug them in there and just focus on the change.