Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

antarctica24

Thank you for your response. I can't believe that mountune did not include a note or something telling you it needs to be adjusted before installing. That is really shitty IMO. [mad] I mean this is the wastegate specifically made for the mrx turbo. It should be properly adjusted when it is shipped to a customer. Am I crazy for thinking this? If its a 17lb spring you should bolt it on to the mrx turbo and it should make 17psi. I would think that adjusting the preload different than how it is shipped for the purpose of increasing boost that the minimum peak boost pressure would be over 17psi. Please tell me I don't have to take the turbo off again to adjust the preload. Or should I just leave it alone because I will still make enough boost once the wgdc is increased? I need to get this figured out asap since I am getting my car dyno tuned this coming friday.
I’m going to have to side with you on this. I was told when I got the wastegate that the preload needed to be set and I got instructions to set it but after I installed it on tune 1 I never saw more than 14.37lbs of boost. So I assumed I did it wrong, so I took the turbo out again, called Tyler at Mountune and had him walk me through it, reinstalled the turbo and still not seeing more than 14.37psi on tune 1. Burma22 says he didn’t do anything to his and he is seeing 16-17lbs.

I am really struggling to understand why I’m not seeing more than 14.37 on a wastegate with a 17lb spring and I completely agree it is utter caca to send this thing out and it not already be adjusted and when they gave me instructions they were cryptic at best. Where I live should not matter. Boost made in the engine is boost made in the engine. Burma22 lives at 4500ft I live at 1800. The only other piece here is the fmic. I’m using the map fmic and I could see a much larger fmic causing the car to not make the same boost numbers but my fmic is not that much bigger than stock and certainly not any bigger than the Mountune fmic.

Not the level of quality and service I have come to expect from a company like Mountune.

I’m going to have to side with you on this. I was told when I got the wastegate that the preload needed to be set and I got instructions to set it but after I installed it on tune 1 I never saw more than 14.37lbs of boost. So I assumed I did it wrong, so I took the turbo out again, called Tyler at Mountune and had him walk me through it, reinstalled the turbo and still not seeing more than 14.37psi on tune 1. Burma22 says he didn’t do anything to his and he is seeing 16-17lbs.

I am really struggling to understand why I’m not seeing more than 14.37 on a wastegate with a 17lb spring and I completely agree it is utter caca to send this thing out and it not already be adjusted and when they gave me instructions they were cryptic at best. Where I live should not matter. Boost made in the engine is boost made in the engine. Burma22 lives at 4500ft I live at 1800. The only other piece here is the fmic. I’m using the map fmic and I could see a much larger fmic causing the car to not make the same boost numbers but my fmic is not that much bigger than stock and certainly not any bigger than the Mountune fmic.

Not the level of quality and service I have come to expect from a company like Mountune.
Dang, I'm really sorry to hear this bud. This definately strikes fear into me getting one now. I really dislike the location of the WG. I know there's not a lot of options for them but when we have to pull off the turbo just to get to the damn thing. I hope you get everything sorted out.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #1,307
Starting a 93 tune with Randy next week at sea level.
I’m finally moving out of New Mexico. I’ll post up results when we’re done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, I'm on the 5th revision and vdyno is saying 263hp @5722, and 264tq @4125 on 93oct and stock WG. Got a revision last night, but gonna wait till Wednesday when I get new rotors and pads in and on.

Mountune Mrx turbo upgrade with billet wastegate
Mountune turbosmart bov
Cp-e cai
Depo racing intercooler
Depo racing catted dp
Thermal r&d exhaust
Denso itv22 plugs
93 octane fuel
70 degrees F
25.6 psi

Last edited:
I'm shifting at 6500. Rev limiter is set at 6600. Not sure why the graph doesn't go higher. Rpm kills engines. This is my daily driver and I want it to last.
7000rpm isn't sh*t for these engines. If anything, they NEED more cam/spring and RPM. Look at the geometries, they're really good! Spin that thing out, you still have lots of power to make without putting it on the ragged edge.

7000rpm isn't sh*t for these engines. If anything, they NEED more cam/spring and RPM. Look at the geometries, they're really good! Spin that thing out, you still have lots of power to make without putting it on the ragged edge.
You'll have to prove this one. Sorry, but that's not something that can be taken without credit. I revved my 2.4 4g69 to 7k, but that's because it's proven to. The 1.6 in these fiestas are a little newer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/ford-ecoboost-1-6l-analysis-turbocharged-direct-injection-ccvtc/

Start comparing them newfangled geo met trees to some other high strung engines and you'll see this thing can handle WAY more "stress" than what the factory gave them. The cam specs are super puny, almost hilariously small. A camshaft and spring upgrade, in my opinion, should be the next step after a tune/intercooler/ turbo upgrade. Spinning 7000rpm on all factory components is nothing. Not worth it with the baby OEM turbo, but even something slightly larger can take advantage of the additional RPM, if sized properly.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
We are slightly under-square (stroker) in bore/stroke ratio from the factory, so doesn't that also limit the ultimate top revs these engines can scream to as well? [dunno]

We are slightly under-square (stroker) in bore/stroke ratio from the factory, so doesn't that also limit the ultimate top revs these engines can scream to as well? [dunno]
Look at the Rod/Stroke ratio. It's right in line with the old D series Honda engines and they rev to 8k like it's nothing. Airflow/fuel is what ultimately limits revs.

Most all Honda engines are undersquare. Piston speed is more "important" than rod/stroke ratio. Honda gets around it by usually using long-ish connecting rods to keep piston speed down. There's lots of other factors as well.

The particular engine in question is begging for more RPM to keep making power.