Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #281
Watching the meta in this community has been interesting. For those unaware, I'm talking about the undercurrent/unseen driving force in people's decisions on power modifications. In order:

The torque meta
The "too much lag" meta
The powerband meta
The spool meta
The hybrid meta

And now we seem to be entering a "lag is ok" meta. We'll see another hybrid/powerband meta before the year is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey, whatever makes people happy I guess [emoji3]

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Changes the driving dynamics of the car - too much lag for me.

I'm not out there to make max power in this car, all I want is to have the power when I want it. I drove a Civic SiR for 5+ years and it was boring until you got it to 5K and then it actually had some jam (yay VTEC!). Took all the fun out of it.

Good to know there are good options out there for people who want that 'magical' 300hp number though!

Watching the meta in this community has been interesting. For those unaware, I'm talking about the undercurrent/unseen driving force in people's decisions on power modifications. In order:

The torque meta
The "too much lag" meta
The powerband meta
The spool meta
The hybrid meta

And now we seem to be entering a "lag is ok" meta. We'll see another hybrid/powerband meta before the year is out.

I think many folks are just nervous with the recent hybrid issues. If money was no object, there would be no question where 90% of people who modify would be spending their money. I certainly know where I would be. It comes down to compromise. It seems the MRX is the middle-ground of the ATP kit and a hybrid (current offerings). In my opinion the MRX does what the ATP didn't. It's a big turbo solution that uses the OEM manifold but with better quality and better response being a 2554. Compared to a hybrid it theoretically should be more reliable and has a higher ceiling on pump than the hybrids. The sacrifice is response.

Of course all of this is speculation. The MRX is new and not all hybrids have had issues. Once we throw the Tune+/Vargas hybrid into the mix, no telling how things will turn out. However, I still don't think it will calm everyone's fears. The truth is, reliability can't be measured without time and use of the community. If a turbo lasts 30k miles versus 100k it will take the time to accumulate 100k miles to prove that point. A bolt on Garrett core is just not going to have the same risk as a modified OEM turbo, no matter who is making it. But it's also not to say that hybrids can't be made or won't be made that last 100k miles and keep smiling. All of this is just talk of course. I personally want to pull the trigger on a MRX, but I am still so intrigued by the upcoming Tune+ hybrid. Can I really live without that instant torque that I have grown to love?

I find myself searching for solutions that would help the MRX spool better for the street. I found an individual on a FB discussion that said his MRX went from hitting full boost at 3500rpm to 2800rpm by porting the manifold and preloading the wastegate. Will CpE be releasing their manifold soon? How would a Pumaspeed Quickspool manifold do? Will Mountune eventually release a manifold for this kit?

For some reason I had an earlier post that didn't complete.

The C39 I picked up fell through, so I am back on the market for another solution. :)

Still looking closely at the MRX.

I think many folks are just nervous with the recent hybrid issues. If money was no object, there would be no question where 90% of people who modify would be spending their money. I certainly know where I would be. It comes down to compromise. It seems the MRX is the middle-ground of the ATP kit and a hybrid (current offerings). In my opinion the MRX does what the ATP didn't. It's a big turbo solution that uses the OEM manifold but with better quality and better response being a 2554. Compared to a hybrid it theoretically should be more reliable and has a higher ceiling on pump than the hybrids. The sacrifice is response.

Of course all of this is speculation. The MRX is new and not all hybrids have had issues. Once we throw the Tune+/Vargas hybrid into the mix, no telling how things will turn out. However, I still don't think it will calm everyone's fears. The truth is, reliability can't be measured without time and use of the community. If a turbo lasts 30k miles versus 100k it will take the time to accumulate 100k miles to prove that point. A bolt on Garrett core is just not going to have the same risk as a modified OEM turbo, no matter who is making it. But it's also not to say that hybrids can't be made or won't be made that last 100k miles and keep smiling. All of this is just talk of course. I personally want to pull the trigger on a MRX, but I am still so intrigued by the upcoming Tune+ hybrid. Can I really live without that instant torque that I have grown to love?

I find myself searching for solutions that would help the MRX spool better for the street. I found an individual on a FB discussion that said his MRX went from hitting full boost at 3500rpm to 2800rpm by porting the manifold and preloading the wastegate. Will CpE be releasing their manifold soon? How would a Pumaspeed Quickspool manifold do? Will Mountune eventually release a manifold for this kit?
Full boost by 3500 doesn't sound laggy at all to me. I have seen a MRX dyno on FB that showed full boost under 4k. Does fuel, better than 91 Oct help with that?

Full boost by 3500 doesn't sound laggy at all to me. I have seen a MRX dyno on FB that showed full boost under 4k. Does fuel, better than 91 Oct help with that?
Tip in timing can be advanced more with higher octane fuels which does result in more initial torque. This does hand off to slightly quicker spool but it doesn't quite graph out that way. They work together to produce a fatter power band sooner. This is my experience from tuning NA LSX and turbo rotaries. I have no experience with ecoboost applications.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
They might as well, since the MRX cannot be 'stock appearing' anyway, (like the various hybrids can with a factory manifold) especially IF it can help the spool even more. ;) [:)]

I personally, did NOT buy this car for a very laggy, old school HUGE single MKIV, "come from behind win" type of experience, since I came from, and was used to that decent torque at low engine speeds, NA LSx power band in my recent past.

About the ONLY positive in pushing the power band slightly more northward (to me at least) is NOT lighting up the front tires immediately, which I for one, do not view as "cool". [nono]

They might as well, since the MRX cannot be 'stock appearing' anyway, (like the various hybrids can with a factory manifold) especially IF it can help the spool even more. ;) [:)]

I personally, did NOT buy this car for a very laggy, old school HUGE single MKIV, "come from behind win" type of experience, since I came from, and was used to that decent torque at low engine speeds, NA LSx power band in my recent past.

About the ONLY positive in pushing the power band slightly more northward (to me at least) is NOT lighting up the front tires immediately, which I for one, do not view as "cool". [nono]
Absolutely. Manifold design would help for sure. I for one think it would be a hot seller. If Mountune released a equal length manifold to work with their kit, I think folks would jump on it. Especially if it was offered as a package option. The issue with doing a non-proprietary manifold like a Pumaspeed quick spool is you are always going to have to deal with that damn adapter. You will have a nice equal length manifold going to an OEM flange, only to be adapted to the v-band. It's just janky. The manifold design must take into account the position to remove that adapter and go with a straight forward v-band while still allowing the downpipe and hard lines to align in OEM positioning.

As for lag, it's all about balance for me. I have lived in both worlds... 550whp LS3 stroker in my Rx7, 540whp 2-rotor in my Rx7. As long as spool is progressive, torque comes on strong and it revs quickly, I don't mind. 300ftlbs at 2200 rpm just isn't needed in a little FWD hatch. But I want it before 4k rpm...lol

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #289
The eBay tubular manifold is honestly great. Many have used it with awesome results.
Great welds, thick as hell tubing, same design as puma. 400 bucks

So it just dawned on me.... Pumaspeed specifically says their v-band version of their quick spool fits all ATP kits. ATP uses the same type of adapter as Mountune to fit the stock manifold. In fact, they look identical in size. Their downpipe adapters look to be the same as well. IF I could get Mountune to confirm their adapter's specs are in fact the same as ATP's, then I would likely have a winner. You can see how the v-band is moved farther out from the flange, taking up the space of where the adapter would be. A legit v-band long tube manifold for the MRX.

MRX

ATP

Pumaspeed V-band

So it just dawned on me.... Pumaspeed specifically says their v-band version of their quick spool fits all ATP kits. ATP uses the same type of adapter as Mountune to fit the stock manifold. In fact, they look identical in size. Their downpipe adapters look to be the same as well. IF I could get Mountune to confirm their adapter's specs are in fact the same as ATP's, then I would likely have a winner. You can see how the v-band is moved farther out from the flange, taking up the space of where the adapter would be. A legit v-band long tube manifold for the MRX.

MRX

ATP

Pumaspeed V-band
Isn't that 900 usd though?

DvC

yea the puma speed is 900$. I couldn't stomach the price. Here is the ebay one for half that price. Fit great and no issues for my 2860r

MRX

ATP

Pumaspeed V-band
Isn't that 900 usd though?

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #294
The Mountune vband adapter is larger in size. They made it less restrictive than the original ATP one.
From what I can tell atleast.. from installing it.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Yeah yeah I get this makes 300hp, I chase the drivability aspect more so. You said the x37 "falls on it a face" that is a a fallacy, in comparison, yeah it's not comparable to a bigger turbo such as this.

It's your money, and your car. Whatever makes you happy:)

Sent from my CIA monitored device

Meh, $900 isn't bad for a tig welded manifold like this. You get what you pay for. I paid $10k for my LS3 stroker...lol

Though, their website is indicating $721 shipped to the US. I think the exchange rate has changed since the dollar has strengthened. That puts the MRX with a SS manifold at $2521 tuned. I will be researching this further.

I would actually be really interested to see if anyone is running the eBay manifold with this turbo, and if the flanges will mount without modification; if so, I'll be scooping one up ASAP for my MRX kit (whenever it ships.)

I have some decent and winding roads around where I live - if it will help the community at all, I will attempt to take a few videos after the kit is installed and tuned, just so everyone can get an idea of the drivability in a spirited 'back road' driving scenario? I mean, I'll be hitting the road personally anyways, just because I want to see how it performs, and definitely don't mind sharing with you guys. [like]

If all goes well, I should be able to have the kit installed mid-July (as it's currently on back order [scream]) and hopefully fully tuned by then as well. It's already been ordered, so hopefully I'll be included in the next shipping batch.