Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta MRX Turbo

It's probably been covered later in the thread but someone was asking about tracking an st with a larger turbo vs. A hybrid. I'm sure a gt2554r is much less stress on motor for track day than a hybrid. Moving the torque peak up in rpm, a lot in the case of some. Is a big help. Also, you guys aren t doing things like monitoring manifold backpressure vs boost pressure, but I'm sure these hybrids with the giant wheels clipped to hell stuffed into that tiny hot housing are creating insane backpressure in manifold. Its just a healthier setup to have a real engineered turbo system. Not stuffing a 28 or 30lbs/min comp wheel into a turbo paired with an exhaust side that is insanely undersized. These little heads must really process incoming air. Because thats a recipe for surge. You have insane bqxkpressure vs,manifold pressure when your shooting for as close to 1:1 as possible. And yoyu have a very low but strong torque peak. Not to mention a hybrid will never have the durability of an off the shelf turbo from a major manufacturer. Bb turbos are especially durable if you are feeding them proper oil pressure and design your drain correctly. Keeping torque around 260 or so and moving it up the power band with a larger exhaust housing amdnhigh flow wheel that isn't causing insane pressure ratios, combined with other track appropriate upgrades, I think these little cars will do well with and a larger aftermarket turbo. But i wouldnt tracl a car with 300+ hp ona stock fuel system and lower end probably. Your just rinning too close to the limits dor a track. What is fine on the street isnt neccessarliy gonna work running wide open in 2 or 3 sesseions a day, or a whole weekend. The factory stuff is finished to a high quality. Has high end anti fatigue coatings and processes applied. But it's not stout stuff that can handle 300+ tq all weekend long at the track for years on end. I've had a blast in mine basically stock with pads,fluid, and drop in oil cooler and radiator upgrade. These little cars can definatly punch above their weight. Luckily they can carry their speed though, cause stock, if you ever had to slow down, it take half a lap to accelerate back up to pace! Im probably going to do the mountune turbo i think. Susoension im more worried about. These cars are not overly, stiff, but they transfer weight quickly and well and are so balanced to rotate. I even went back to the own Bridgestone because too much grip just brought out all the bad fwd traits. So im really going back and forth on suspension. I may just try a set of bilstein on stock springs first. That was long winded but to sum it up, the poor quality, super high drive pressures, and low rapid torque peak are all things that will hurt durability in long term high load situations like the track. Are far as susoension, their doesn't seem to be a lot of good info on good setups. I'm not into spending 20k on a set of coilovers for a car that was that much new. And most coilovers in the 1000 to 3000 range are garbage and overly stiff, especially for a car that gets it's speed the way the fiesta does.

Ah yes I should have mentioned I intend to get the mountune bov when I order the kit. I remember seeing someone mention in the x47 thread that they bought all of the associated gaskets from ford before they swapped their turbo, any thoughts on that or did most of you re use your factory gaskets?
Well im.sure the turbo comes as a retail Garrett turbo ina garrett box It will include it's return line gasket andnflange gasket. The vband connections don't use one obviously, the ford gaskets are probably fine to reuse, maybe hit each side with cooper spray to guarantee a nice seal. I believe it has all the adaptors to connect to factory coolant lines. Running new gaskets isn't going to hurt anything, but I for one, probably won't even bother with replacing 13k miles exhaust gaskets. One thing of do is verify wastegate crack pressure before installing. I know mountune is known for sending out complete high quality stuff, but I doubt they are opening the turbos and testing wastegates. If you've got the wrong wastegate option form a factory mistake, or badly adjusted. you could end up with a dangerous situratiin, or a car that is losing a lot of power from a wastegate that is bleeding exhaust way to early dude to insufficient closing pressure. Another thing mountune doesn't mention is anything about the feed line. Bb cartridges will die a quick death when fed the 20+ lbs that journal bearing are fed. It's important to follow garret manual on oil feed pressure and to test/verify and use proper restrictor if necessary to get appropriate oil pressure if a proper feed line isn't supplied. It's also worth the 50 to 80 bucks to run a feed filter. It's cheap insurance and should really be considered a mandatory part in my opinion. Sorry if all this was covered too. I just wasn't going to read 146 pages of the same stuff over and over and over.

Dude...paragraphs, seriously.

Placed my order with Mountune yesterday. My order included:
MRX with billet wastegate
mountune/turbosmart BOV kit
Full radium engineering catch can kit with drains
mountune intercooler with piping
mountune high induction hose (already have a panel filter)
mountune quick shift
mountune exhaust hangers

Then I ordered the whoosh catted DP and thermal 3" adapter to go with my Thermal exhaust already on the car.

I plan on running the car on pump 91 here at altitude if I can get 260-270whp out of it I will be happy for now. Excited to get it all in!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

mountune quick shift
mountune exhaust hangers

Then I ordered the whoosh catted DP and thermal 3" adapter to go with my Thermal exhaust already on the car.

I plan on running the car on pump 91 here at altitude if I can get 260-270whp out of it I will be happy for now. Excited to get it all in!
That's what she said...sorry couldn't resist!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

DaveG99

Has anyone dynoed one on e30 yet? I want to see the graph

Any 1/4 mile runs? I would like to know the mph in the 1/4 mile.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club

mountune quick shift
mountune exhaust hangers

Someone got there tax return huh? I'm a lil jelious ha ha. Cant wait for your opinion of the mrx and graphs.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

A great thread, although getting off topic on occasion.
Currently have a stock turbo with a GFB DV, and love that it has no sound.
I have all the bolt-ons and was seriously considering the X47R. Apparently Stratified, according to an E-mail doesn't know if, or when they will be selling them again.
I have lots of Mountune parts, and they all seem to be high quality and well fitting. I started reading this thread a couple of days ago, and have been impressed with the MRX owners reports. Especially, since a few have had other turbos on previously.
Unfortunately, I don't have the ability (any more) to undertake a such a job. Fortunately, I don't live too far from Mountune. I was think of getting the Quaife differential installed by them at the same time. I was hesitant to have the trans taken apart by a trans shop that wasn't familiar with the Fiesta.
Do the guys that have the MRX installed, feel a limited slip is still beneficial without that big torque bump down low?
The MRX has a BOV. What does it vent to? Down the symposer hole? Does that go back to the plenum on the intake manifold?
Hopefully, it's fairly quiet? Not into hissing at every shift, I'm old.

I have all the bolt-ons and was seriously considering the X47R. Apparently Stratified, according to an E-mail doesn't know if, or when they will be selling them again.
I have lots of Mountune parts, and they all seem to be high quality and well fitting. I started reading this thread a couple of days ago, and have been impressed with the MRX owners reports. Especially, since a few have had other turbos on previously.
Unfortunately, I don't have the ability (any more) to undertake a such a job. Fortunately, I don't live too far from Mountune. I was think of getting the Quaife differential installed by them at the same time. I was hesitant to have the trans taken apart by a trans shop that wasn't familiar with the Fiesta.
Do the guys that have the MRX installed, feel a limited slip is still beneficial without that big torque bump down low?
The MRX has a BOV. What does it vent to? Down the symposer hole? Does that go back to the plenum on the intake manifold?
If you get mountune's BOV, it vents to atmosphere. Mine is "loud" if you are sensitive to it venting on every shift, as I bought a Mishimoto cold-side charge pipe to fit behind my mishimoto radiator. On my car, the BOV is mounted where a sound symp delete should go, as mishimoto provided the connections with the cold side kit. Since it is on the front there under the throttle body it might as well be a horn. It might be quieter if you bury it somewhere else.

If you get a recirculating "style" mechanical bov, you can run a vacuum line into the air box and it will significantly quiet things down. Or you can just have it vent to the line, and have it zip-tied somewhere. Just having it blow off into a piece of line will quiet it down significantly.

Alternatively, you can zip tie a carved out foam cylinder to the BOV exit if you get a vent to atmosphere BOV (make your own filter to dampen the sound)...or a less jury rigged way would be to get a small K&N or tiny 1" or so intake to the BOV.

If you want, I can take pictures tomorrow of my BOV setup or maybe do a video...I am feeling generous. I am probably going to muffle my BOV at some point.

Sorry, missed half your question. Also, I "think" my BOV position is the best place to put it.

As far as the Limited Slip goes, if you have good 200 treadwear autocross tires, you should be OK in a straight line for 2nd gear. If you go even more aggressive, a limited slip has limited value in a straight line for 2nd and 3rd gear. It would help a bit in 1st, but all FWD cars have 1st gear issues. Ours is nothing like a FoST/Mazdaspeed3 even with a mild upgraded turbo like this where it spools up by 3.3k-3.8k (upgraded waste-gate for me, stratified tuned). I am running cheap ~$80 300/400-ish tread wear summer tires and it is very manageable in a straight line in 2nd gear. No real torque steer and it only gets mild wheel hop sometimes.

All that goes out the window if you want to turn and nail the throttle at the same time. The inside wheel will spin a bit, but this is the same issue the stock turbo has with all the low-down torque. I actually think it is easier to turn with this turbo, as 1st and 2nd is easier to modulate. However, I haven't ran an autocross yet, so I can let you know when I get there. PM me a reminder if you want. The limited slip has the most utility for tight track use and autocross.

I will upgrade my differential, but I am going to do it at the same time as the clutch and flywheel. Stock transmission holds up very well (at 62k miles right now), as I have 30k of autocross and spirited use while tuned, and about 1k since I've put the turbo on. Going to change the tranmission fluid, but overall the tranny has been fantastic for me once I got an AWR 88a rear motor mount from our lovely Whoosh Motorsports vendor that frequents this site.

If you get mountune's BOV, it vents to atmosphere. Mine is "loud" if you are sensitive to it venting on every shift, as I bought a Mishimoto cold-side charge pipe to fit behind my mishimoto radiator. On my car, the BOV is mounted where a sound symp delete should go, as mishimoto provided the connections with the cold side kit. Since it is on the front there under the throttle body it might as well be a horn. It might be quieter if you bury it somewhere else.

If you get a recirculating "style" mechanical bov, you can run a vacuum line into the air box and it will significantly quiet things down. Or you can just have it vent to the line, and have it zip-tied somewhere. Just having it blow off into a piece of line will quiet it down significantly.

Alternatively, you can zip tie a carved out foam cylinder to the BOV exit if you get a vent to atmosphere BOV (make your own filter to dampen the sound)...or a less jury rigged way would be to get a small K&N or tiny 1" or so intake to the BOV.

If you want, I can take pictures tomorrow of my BOV setup or maybe do a video...I am feeling generous. I am probably going to muffle my BOV at some point.
Thanks, that would be great.

Another thing I was thinking, with the engine putting out more power, would a taller gear ratio make first gear more usable?
I'm into 2nd very quickly and it would nice to take 1st a little farther. Since I'll have the trans apart, it wouldn't be that much more for gears. I know they make lower ones, haven't seen taller ones.

Another thing I was thinking, with the engine putting out more power, would a taller gear ratio make first gear more usable?
I'm into 2nd very quickly and it would nice to take 1st a little farther. Since I'll have the trans apart, it wouldn't be that much more for gears. I know they make lower ones, haven't seen taller ones.
Eh, I have seen shorter final drives (like pumaspeed has a 4.30 or the ST200 4.1 vs stock 3.80), but I have not seen anything for *individual* gears.

Honestly, first is a mess for all FWD cars unless you have soft compound tires...however tall or short first gear might be. If you are pulling the transmission apart anyway and can find a taller first for cheap, be my guest...it is a good idea. It would be the only feasible time to do something like that when you are already replacing other things.

Thanks, that would be great.

Pulled off some lines to get a better closeup picture. Don't know why more people don't place them here, location is fantastic. Will edit in a video link for the sound driving in traffic later.

Edit: It is a youtube thing -> [video]https://youtu.be/FJicPA-dAY4[/video]

It didn't dawn on me until lustabfast mentioned it that Mountune will install it as well if you want (I thought they just made/distributed the parts). This prompted me to give them a call and this is what they offer for anyone interested:

$1000 flat fee for install
Need your car for 2 days
Located in Carson, CA

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I should try it myself, I know I would save a ton of money but my back, knees and joints aren't what they used to be. I'm in the Seattle area and would love to find someone closer but there are two questions I have yet to satisfy:
1. A trustworthy shop for Fiesta Tuning
2. A shop that has experience putting on this exact car and kit before doing mine.

Maybe I'll make a vacation road trip out of it to get it done at Mountune. I've had good experience with Cobb Surgeline in Portland, but I don't think they've ever installed one.

It didn't dawn on me until lustabfast mentioned it that Mountune will install it as well if you want (I thought they just made/distributed the parts). This prompted me to give them a call and this is what they offer for anyone interested:

Need your car for 2 days
Located in Carson, CA

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I should try it myself, I know I would save a ton of money but my back, knees and joints aren't what they used to be. I'm in the Seattle area and would love to find someone closer but there are two questions I have yet to satisfy:
2. A shop that has experience putting on this exact car and kit before doing mine.

Maybe I'll make a vacation road trip out of it to get it done at Mountune. I've had good experience with Cobb Surgeline in Portland, but I don't think they've ever installed one.
$1000 seems steep.

Need your car for 2 days
Located in Carson, CA

$1000 seems steep.