Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mishimoto radiator installed, looking for a slightly smaller oil filter

So, new radiator install done. I absolutely love it and would definitely recommend. but now i have even more of an issue getting that oil filter out. I have even less room, does anyone have any recommendations on different oil filters?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
My only suggestion would be to get their oil cooler to get rid of the heat exchanger and you will have way more room. I'm debating doing that as my efforts to create a filter relocation kit failed.

There is a trick to it. You have to move the black AC line out of the way to the SIDE of the new aluminum fan shroud. It'll rest there wedged next to the side of the shroud and back of the radiator until your done giving you plenty of room. Just remember to un-wedge it after your done.

Does anyone have a cp-e cold side pipe with this radiator?
I have the Mishi radiator. I tried to fit one the cp-e pipe on mine, and it won't fit. I have the Mishi pipe now, and it fits perfectly.

As for the OP's original question, I still run the larger FL400s filter with this radiator. It's a tight fit, but if you're slow and careful, it'll work.

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Does anyone have a cp-e cold side pipe with this radiator?
I do but it's super tight and it was not fun to get it installed. I had to remove my oil filter so I could get past it then I ran into an interference issue. It was tight between the Mishimoto fan guard and part of the transmission housing where the starter mounts. See pics below noting the red circled areas. The picture shows the OEM charge pipe but this is just so you get a better idea of where it gets tight.

E164231_EUR_580.gif E166299_EUR_580.gif

So I ended up filing the the lower edge of the trans case that was making contact so I could gain a few extra mm of space. I installed the charge pipe and re-installed the oil filter and situated it so I had about 3mm of space on either side of the charge pipe. I ended up scratching the heck out of the charge pipe getting it installed but finally got it to a spot I was satisfied. I've been monitoring it periodically because I figured the engine will move under hard acceleration and may cause the charge pipes to move around as well. It hasn't rubbed off any more paint so I think the clearance is ok for now.

I was taking a second look tonight and I think I found a way to gain about a 1/4" more space. I could take off the Mishi fan guard completely and run without it. I don't think it's going to hurt anything if I do. Then I would definitely have enough space to give me peace of mind about any rubbing issues. I could also do a little more filing on the trans case area as well. I may do this on my next oil change.

VirtualRonin

Active Military
There is a trick to it. You have to move the black AC line out of the way to the SIDE of the new aluminum fan shroud. It'll rest there wedged next to the side of the shroud and back of the radiator until your done giving you plenty of room. Just remember to un-wedge it after your done.
I agree, this is what I end up doing as well. It's still tricky to remove but I figure I'll get better at it over time.

I do but it's super tight and it was not fun to get it installed. I had to remove my oil filter so I could get past it then I ran into an interference issue. It was tight between the Mishimoto fan guard and part of the transmission housing where the starter mounts. See pics below noting the red circled areas. The picture shows the OEM charge pipe but this is just so you get a better idea of where it gets tight.

View attachment 13889 View attachment 13890

So I ended up filing the the lower edge of the trans case that was making contact so I could gain a few extra mm of space. I installed the charge pipe and re-installed the oil filter and situated it so I had about 3mm of space on either side of the charge pipe. I ended up scratching the heck out of the charge pipe getting it installed but finally got it to a spot I was satisfied. I've been monitoring it periodically because I figured the engine will move under hard acceleration and may cause the charge pipes to move around as well. It hasn't rubbed off any more paint so I think the clearance is ok for now.

I was taking a second look tonight and I think I found a way to gain about a 1/4" more space. I could take off the Mishi fan guard completely and run without it. I don't think it's going to hurt anything if I do. Then I would definitely have enough space to give me peace of mind about any rubbing issues. I could also do a little more filing on the trans case area as well. I may do this on my next oil change.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to thread jack but I just wanted to know what I was getting into before i attempt this install. Might be easier but more expensive to buy new charge pipes. I'd have to relocate the tial bov to the hot side. If a company makes a tial flange on the hot side.

OP
C
Thread Starter #9
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to thread jack but I just wanted to know what I was getting into before i attempt this install. Might be easier but more expensive to buy new charge pipes. I'd have to relocate the tial bov to the hot side. If a company makes a tial flange on the hot side.
No worries, this is good info.

I'm trying a different oil filter to see if that will help for the next oil change. I'm also considering the Mishimoto oil cooler. I don't know if anyone has much experience with it. I mostly have a question with how you will get the used oil out of the oil cooler during an oil change.