Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wheel/Tire Combo for Rough Roads and Passengers?

Hey everyone, I drive 3000+ miles a month and I'm not too concerned about my own comfort (though it does help) on these awful California roads, but I sometimes drive co-workers and very important customers around and I've been told that it's a very uncomfortable vehicle to ride in, especially in the back. I also visit construction sites and other facilities in remote areas that don't always have paved roads. Also, I am a firm believer that less vibration and bumps = less failure of parts.

So my idea was to go with a smaller wheel diameter and a beefier tire, but I didn't want to lose too much of the car's handling ability. I am mainly thinking about a 16" wheel, but if anyone has 15" wheels, please fill me in on your experiences. As for brand and style, I'd like anything that is very durable and colored grey or silver. For tires, I really just don't know where to start, but I want something very versatile but still grippy on the roads.

If you want to soften ride and keep good handling, I would do the following:

1- 205/45-17 Firestone Indy 500 tires (slightly taller sidewall and will help cushion ride)- Appx $400 plus shipping from Tirerack.com

2- Bilstein B6 struts all around. http://www.ajusa.com/2015-Ford-Fiest...17cq29e09.html They will have softer compression and better low speed rebound which will soften ride but help car handle better and in a more controlled manner.

If you want to change wheels, go with a 16x7 and 205/50-16 Indy 500 tire....

That's it!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
In addition to the taller sidewall, wider (215) tires will help. Continental brand tires' sidewalls are reportedly not as stiff.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
If you want to soften ride and keep good handling, I would do the following:

1- 205/45-17 Firestone Indy 500 tires (slightly taller sidewall and will help cushion ride)- Appx $400 plus shipping from Tirerack.com

2- Bilstein B6 struts all around. http://www.ajusa.com/2015-Ford-Fiest...17cq29e09.html They will have softer compression and better low speed rebound which will soften ride but help car handle better and in a more controlled manner.

If you want to change wheels, go with a 16x7 and 205/50-16 Indy 500 tire....

That's it!
+1

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

OP
JFrye
Thread Starter #6
So I think I'm gonna go with Sport Edition SE-17 wheels. They are 16x7.5 with offset +42mm, so does that mean I will need to go with a 215? And will it even fit with stock suspension?

neeqness

1000 Post Club
So I think I'm gonna go with Sport Edition SE-17 wheels. They are 16x7.5 with offset +42mm, so does that mean I will need to go with a 215? And will it even fit with stock suspension?
Not many options I think in 215/50 16 and you may have to watch out for rubbing issues. But it really just depends on your preference. You could drop down to a 225/45 16 which should have no rubbing issues or keep the 205/50 16. Either tire will improve over oem. Just keep in mind that aftermarket shocks are also important because the tire alone won't usually make it comfortable enough. Bilstein B6 or Koni Str.T have been the go-to shocks so far on this forum for stock height although I will likely go against the grain here and use the B8s.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Going to 17" wheels which are 5 lb lighter per corner softened up my ride a lot. All else is stock, including the summer Potenzas. I knew saving unsprung weight helped, less weight to bang up and down over bumps, but I didn't think it would be this noticeable. The wheels are 17 x 7 TD Pro Race 1.2's, ~17.4 lb each, oem wheels are 22.5 lb, pretty heavy.