Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My wife just neutered me.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
So, I have a CP-E intake, DHM crashbar with Race Intercooler and Accessport incoming within a week or two. It is also warming up so I can put my summer tires back on and I want to try my hand at autocross that is coming up soon.

Then my wife signs us up for Safeco Righttrack.. where we put a tracker on the OBDII port and it keeps tabs of my accelerations/hard braking. And it cannot be removed. And it has to be installed for the next 3 months.

3 Hellish months of me having go-fast parts I cannot use.

Sigh.

zanethan

I say put it on and drive like you stole the thing. That'll teach her to buy into such silly things as insurance driving monitors.

On a more serious note, maybe they've changed how the program works, but my mom tried one and it "saved" her $7 a month but they charged her $20 a month to use the stupid thing.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #6
Yup. We can save from 5% to 30% depending on how many miles I drive, time of day, and how aggressive I am (minimum 5% savings). The dongle only has to be installed for 3 months before we mail it back, but the discount is for the life of the policy. I will double check, but I do not think there is a charge for the dongle (unless I chuck it out the window)

Edit: No charge.
http://www.safeco.com/righttrack/faq

Last edited:
I had progressive SnapShot installed for a while. It just plugged into the OBD port. I would unplug mine whenever I wanted to play around, they never said anything and I still got the discount. I did forget to plug it back in once and a couple days later they sent an email to check if it was functioning properly. I plugged it back in and all was well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Those things are such BS. I've seen them do more harm than good - the problem is it operates in a vacuum. Have to serve to avoid a cat? DOCKED. Someone cut you off and you slam on the brakes? DOCKED. The whole idea is asinine when you consider most collisions happen close to home and at close speed. People hammering the gas causes about as many problems as automatic weapons.

Those things are such BS. I've seen them do more harm than good - the problem is it operates in a vacuum. Have to serve to avoid a cat? DOCKED. Someone cut you off and you slam on the brakes? DOCKED. The whole idea is asinine when you consider most collisions happen close to home and at close speed. People hammering the gas causes about as many problems as automatic weapons.
Agreed... Mine reported hard brakes and would BEEP at me every time I pushed the brake pedal "to hard"... I guess they would prefer me to rear-end the fucktards that pull out in front of me....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Zormecteon

IIRC, at least the one dongle that Progressive uses measures all that stuff, but the biggest effect on your rates is how hard you BRAKE, and at what speeds.
That's their measure for "aggressive" driving.... I haven't heard about parameters for other insurance companies.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Nice marketing but I won't submit to unreasonable searches. It's gotten to the point that they don't charge you less for using it, they charge you MORE for NOT using it.

Conditions conducive, while I like to have fun with the accelerator, very, very, very rarely have I found it necessary to hard brake; even considering some of the piss-poor timing management on some of the area's traffic lights. Most of the time I'm able to coast the last many feet to a standstill.

They always talk about how they're "saving" people money but the reality is, company profit margins, CEO bonuses and expense accounts, continue to skyrocket year, after year, after year, after year. They got a skyscraper in every major city, a name on many stadiums, fund election campaigns with a lobbyist on every congress person. Congress people have been busted submitting laws that are the verbatim of what an insurance company handed them. They're not "saving" anyone any money. Do some simple numbers and you'll realize what I mean.

I would rather be charged according to my driving record and loss history. All this snap shot crap is very arbitrary.

Nice marketing but I won't submit to unreasonable searches. It's gotten to the point that they don't charge you less for using it, they charge you MORE for NOT using it.

Conditions conducive, while I like to have fun with the accelerator, very, very, very rarely have I found it necessary to hard brake; even considering some of the piss-poor timing management on some of the area's traffic lights. Most of the time I'm able to coast the last many feet to a standstill.

They always talk about how they're "saving" people money but the reality is, company profit margins, CEO bonuses and expense accounts, continue to skyrocket year, after year, after year, after year. They got a skyscraper in every major city, a name on many stadiums, fund election campaigns with a lobbyist on every congress person. Congress people have been busted submitting laws that are the verbatim of what an insurance company handed them. They're not "saving" anyone any money. Do some simple numbers and you'll realize what I mean.
Well actuarialy speaking - the data gives them more points to find correlations thus they're able to adjust your rate closer to where it should be. If they're doing their tables right (believe me they are) then everyone is paying more for insurance that it actually costs the company to insure said person. That being said the CEO will quickly find a way to jack the rates up on everyone NOT using the dongle.

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #16
Get you're dongle out of her purse.
lol

On a side note, got the yellow wrench light yesterday, dunno if it is somehow related. Dropped it off at the dealership to get it looked at. Of course they closed early because of NCAA basketball.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Well actuarialy speaking - the data gives them more points to find correlations thus they're able to adjust your rate closer to where it should be. If they're doing their tables right (believe me they are) then everyone is paying more for insurance that it actually costs the company to insure said person. That being said the CEO will quickly find a way to jack the rates up on everyone NOT using the dongle.
In actual reality, they attempt to price the product to make a profit on everyone. That's not how insurance is supposed to work. [MENTION=2262]scotman[/MENTION] has it right. There is NEVER an excuse to charge you less, only charge you more. Perfect driving record but bad credit? Ding. That's just one of infinite examples. The more data you give them, the more excuses they have to ignore your loss history and driving record. That's how the game works.

I could expand the argument even farther!

Insurance companies make the argument that they have assumed a great risk by insuring our vehicles. That's true. But that physical risk of loss is eroded by depreciation. The property damage and personal injury risk is pretty much constant over the term of a policy. Why is it then, I gotta ask, that the rate we pay does not significantly drop if we choose a higher deductible? Doing that says we are accepting a larger portion of responsibility for what damage is done to our cars. I have one thousand dollar deductible. I suck up every penny of cost on minor scrapes and bruises. I would love to get twenty five hundred dollar deductible. Insurance companies don't offer any policies like that. And I suspect they never will. I am willing to stand up and say I will cover my mistakes up to that price point! The industry has zero interest in a true shared risk arrangement. It would mean they have to be reasonable.