Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Thoughts on adding resonator to Mountune cat back

What do you guys think about adding a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator to the Mountune cat back? I went on a short road trip last weekend and found that doing 75-80 mph for prolonged periods of time got pretty annoying.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Don't see any harm as long as flow is not hampered too much. It already has a Helmholtz resonator in the muffler. I did find that it will mellow after a few heat cycles. Right now it's very nice and only "loud" when under wot. Highway is more road noise than it

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
I do find that it is fine around town. I just don't want to mess up what the Helmholtz resonator is doing since its length is tuned to kill certain frequencies.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
What do you guys think about adding a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator to the Mountune cat back? I went on a short road trip last weekend and found that doing 75-80 mph for prolonged periods of time got pretty annoying.
Sorry to bump this, but did you ever try this? I just installed a Cobb Catback and have a similar issue between 80-85 on the highway and was considering adding a resonator.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Great thread. I just did a 700-mile interstate road trip and noticed some drone around 80mph. I hadn't noticed any before but really until now I hadn't been at 80mph for any sustained speed. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, but this makes more sense since others are experiencing it.

Really at normal speeds it sounds terrific. I suspect even the "quiet" exhausts like Cobb and Mountune are going to have some drone at such speeds. However since I don't travel that far or at that speed for a sustained period of time often it's no big deal.

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
Great thread. I just did a 700-mile interstate road trip and noticed some drone around 80mph. I hadn't noticed any before but really until now I hadn't been at 80mph for any sustained speed. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, but this makes more sense since others are experiencing it.

Really at normal speeds it sounds terrific. I suspect even the "quiet" exhausts like Cobb and Mountune are going to have some drone at such speeds. However since I don't travel that far or at that speed for a sustained period of time often it's no big deal.
I decided it's not worth doing anything about since this car is mainly for comuting and I hardly ever do any sustained driving above 70 mph.