Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FSWerks short shifter installed; AC not working. Any relation?

So I installed my FSWerks short shifter kit earlier this morning. Had to drive the car short distance to where I did the install and the AC was working fine at that time.

Took me a total of about 45 minutes, not a tough install overall but definitely a small space to work in. Took the car out for a test drive to make sure it's all good and I noticed my AC is no longer working. It will blow air no problem, but will not get cold and has a smell to it. No CELs or anything of the sort, and nothing leaked out from the bottom of the car during or after the install.

I took everything back apart to check and see if I may have left something disconnected on accident but I can't seem to find anything.

Any thoughts? Is their anything anywhere in the area of the shift linkage where the short shifter kit was installed that could have messed up the AC? I can't tell if the problem is related, or if it's just a really bad coincidence.

-Matt

Bad coinkydink. There's nothing AC related near the shift linkage IIRC

OP
R
Thread Starter #3
Yea, I have a feeling the two are not related. Took it to a local mechanic to have a look at it and maybe recharge the AC if needed.

-Matt

OP
R
Thread Starter #4
So local mechanic took a look at it. He said that it's an electrical problem. When the AC is turned on in the cabin, it's sending the signal but the circuit is not being closed and the compressor is not turning on (he said relay/ground to be more specific). He said applying power directly to the compressor starts it, so it's not the compressor itself. Sadly I'm finding it hard to believe that my install this morning didn't have something to do with it. I'm worried that maybe a wire or connector might have gotten pulled out perhaps when I was reinstalling the lower portion of the intake box? I know their are a lot of electrical connections near the battery, though again I didn't see any random wires hanging or ripped out when I took everything apart the second time. And on top of that, all of those wires and connectors are wrapped pretty tightly, so I don't see how they could get snagged. And I didn't uninstall the battery tray/battery when installing the short shifter either.

Any thoughts on what I could take a look at/start troubleshooting? Trying to do what I can to avoid having to take it to the stealership, especially because they might deny a claim based on mods regardless, but that might end up being the only possible option.

Edit: Another forum member sent me some info (Thanks again D!) and pointed me to this thread: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6543-Installed-short-shift-kit-now-Air-conditioner-blows-hot-air which talks about the exact same issue, with a few different members stating they had it. It seems like their AC problems resolved themselves over time. I'm going to give it a day or so to see if mine resolves itself in the same manner.

-Matt

Last edited:
OP
R
Thread Starter #6
On the tail end of my drive to work today, it seems that the AC has started working again. For the entire drive it wasn't, however after driving about 15 miles and getting off the freeway, I stopped at a liquor store and when I started back up, it was working. I'll have to test later on this evening after work to be sure, and I'll update this post with the result. Very bizarre situation overall, but I'll be ecstatic if it's resolved for good lol :).

-Matt

OP
R
Thread Starter #8
Well then, we know what fixed it, don't we!
Shh... I was definitely not buying alcohol at 6:00am before work... >_>...

Lol actually I got a bag of chips to go along with my Subway sandwich for lunch haha.

Oh, and confirmed my AC is now working again. So for anyone who finds this post via in the future after installing an engine side short shift kit, your AC is most likely not broken. Just drive it for a day or so and it should start working again.

-Matt

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Shh... I was definitely not buying alcohol at 6:00am before work... >_>...

Lol actually I got a bag of chips to go along with my Subway sandwich for lunch haha.

Oh, and confirmed my AC is now working again. So for anyone who finds this post via in the future after installing an engine side short shift kit, your AC is most likely not broken. Just drive it for a day or so and it should start working again.

-Matt
Great to hear! Wonder if there is a "timer" somewhere that after disconnecting the battery the AC is off for a while until the ECU understands the battery is good. Maybe part of our smart charge system...

OP
R
Thread Starter #10
Great to hear! Wonder if there is a "timer" somewhere that after disconnecting the battery the AC is off for a while until the ECU understands the battery is good. Maybe part of our smart charge system...
That's the interesting thing that I want to point out for future people that run into this problem. This actually occurred without disconnecting the battery. When I did the install, I didn't touch the battery at all. The only time the battery was disconnected was after the problem had already started and the mechanic I took it to disconnected it.

The only theory I read in the other thread is that maybe disconnecting the MAF sensor while the system still has power might cause the problem in some way. Otherwise, I can't think of a single reason why it would happen. Either way, it did resolve in it's own, so I'm happy about that lol.

-Matt

I just installed my fs werks short shift, a few minutes ago. Took it for a drive and also now my ac is not working[:(!]

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I just installed my fs werks short shift, a few minutes ago. Took it for a drive and also now my ac is not working[:(!]
Albeit the worst time not to have AC, but it'll work again soon. I've thought about doing this in the fall for this reason.

Yup it's so hot and no ac !![?|]
Hopefully it resolves by itself !
But the FS werks short shift itself works great !! It should have come like that from the factory. I have it set to 25% reduction.