Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Track day at Buttonwillow this weekend. Things I should know?

Hey everyone, to those who have tracked their First, is there anything I should know? I have read a bit about brake fade issues due to the torque vectoring. Also read about limp mode due to the water thin radiator. Anything else I should know? I already swapped brake fluid with Motul to hopefully help combat brake fade. Any tips would be greatly appreciated since this will be my first track event on this platform.

Thanks!

Like you've read, keep an eye on those coolant/oil temps on track, make sure ESC is off, learn something, have fun and most importantly drive the car home at the end of the day!

This platform is incredibly fun and forgiving to drive in stock form.

OP
eddietorr
Thread Starter #3
Like you've read, keep an eye on those coolant/oil temps on track, make sure ESC is off, learn something, have fun and most importantly drive the car home at the end of the day!

This platform is incredibly fun and forgiving to drive in stock form.
Awesome thanks for the response. I'm looking forward to a fun filled day. I forgot about turning off esc lol.

When you park your car after a session don't use the e brake. Start the day out with less air pressure in your tires than your ideal psi. And flipping the headrest backwards helps when wearing a helmet.

OP
eddietorr
Thread Starter #5
When you park your car after a session don't use the e brake. Start the day out with less air pressure in your tires than your ideal psi. And flipping the headrest backwards helps when wearing a helmet.
I dont use the ebrake when running up canyons so I figured that would be the same. Ill be monitoring my tire pressure after each session. Can you remove the headrest from Recaros? I tried and failed.

Yes you can, I didn't think they would come out either but someone on here explained that there is a tiny release you have to press in on the other rod... and the emergency key in the fob is the perfect size to poke it with.

OP
eddietorr
Thread Starter #7
Yes you can, I didn't think they would come out either but someone on here explained that there is a tiny release you have to press in on the other rod... and the emergency key in the fob is the perfect size to poke it with.
Well Ill be... Thank you so much!

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I dont use the ebrake when running up canyons so I figured that would be the same. Ill be monitoring my tire pressure after each session. Can you remove the headrest from Recaros? I tried and failed.
I think he meant that after a session, don't park with the ebrake on; Your brakes will be hot.

Last edited:
He is referring to not setting the ebrake when you park the car after a session to avoid brake pad transfer to your rotors. I am not sure if you understood that based on your response.

Also, I would recommended leaving the ESC on for the first couple sessions until you figure out the track with this car, It might save your a$$.

And to help avoid overheating, run the heater on the high setting and point the vents out the window.

OP
eddietorr
Thread Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I knew what he meant about the ebrake, sometime I fail to English :)

I have no idea how the car will be on the train k to esc on in the beginning is a good idea [MENTION=5255]KyleS[/MENTION]. Also the running the heater is a very good point. Thank you everyone who has responded. I'm a bit nervous but I know I'll have a good time. I get super paranoid about breaking stuff so I want to make sure I have my bases covered.

I did not need to remove the headrest. I wear size L helmet.

Do you has Cobb AP? If so, expect to see 250 degree oil temps during the session. Don't freak out, it is perfectly normal for track day oil temp. Car won't limp.

I am not sure at what temp will cause the car to limp. But I know when I was running at 250 degrees and checkered flag came out, I cooled down rest of the lap and by the time I was back into the pits and parked, oil temp had dropped down to the normal 210.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Also, your brakes get sooo hot. Fluid swap and a set of racing pads really help. If you are still running stock pads, I do not know the limitations of stock pads because I have never tracked them. Maybe others can chime in on how well the stock pads hold up...

Siestarider

The 2014 OEM pads work fine on track with cooling ducts and good fluid. I was getting about 10 trackdays per set of fronts, maybe 12-14 on rears. But that is with ESC off and Quaife LSD.

OP
eddietorr
Thread Starter #14
Thank you everyone who had some input for me. As for Buttonwillow yesterday, the weather was absolutely perfect. Coolant temps peaked at 225, most of the time it hovered around 210. The brake flush with motul helped a ton, never felt any brake fade. OEM tires are stickier than I thought but I still feel like I could do much better with a better tire.

I started the lead/follow laps at a 2:45 and ended the day with a 2:25, not too bad for my first time out with this car on a new track for me. It's also a great feeling to beat out Porsches and WRX's in an underpowered car. Lol. A driver in a Carerra in my lead/follow group complimented my car and said I was quick! That one felt great. All in all it was a great day!

Thank you everyone who had some input for me. As for Buttonwillow yesterday, the weather was absolutely perfect. Coolant temps peaked at 225, most of the time it hovered around 210. The brake flush with motul helped a ton, never felt any brake fade. OEM tires are stickier than I thought but I still feel like I could do much better with a better tire.

I started the lead/follow laps at a 2:45 and ended the day with a 2:25, not too bad for my first time out with this car on a new track for me. It's also a great feeling to beat out Porsches and WRX's in an underpowered car. Lol. A driver in a Carerra in my lead/follow group complimented my car and said I was quick! That one felt great. All in all it was a great day!
I had a very similar experience on Saturday. A lot of fun.

Ford Community Posts