Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need some help choosing Coilovers.

Hey guys I need some help.

I have been looking into coilovers. Right now I'm leaning towards the MeisterR Zeta CDR+. Seems like a good setup as well as a good price.
I am also looking at the BC's as well as the KWs STX. I have done quite a bit of forum search and people seem to be pretty happy with all of the above. I should also mention i live in an area that loves to salt the crap out of their roads. The car is at least garage kept, but I'm looking to use lithium grease and a rust protection of some sort to help preserve them.

Basically I'm looking to increase handling without destroying ride quality. This is my daily driver and i want something i can adjusting dampening wise for the track on the weekends. I want something with quality thats going to last but i don't need a super aggressive track setup.

The analogy i like to use is I'm making a sandwich, and i want to use a quality knife with my sandwich. But I don't need to use a samurai sword to make my sandwich. But i also don't want to use a cheap plastic knife.

Everything i have done with this car has been quality parts. I want to continue that build philosophy.

Any advice is good advice, thank you for your help.

I installed the MeisterR coilovers a few weeks ago. Left them at the factory settings and I'm in love. The ride is much better and the look is fantastic! My girlfriend immediately noticed the change.

I too live in an area where they salt the roads. I sprayed the coils with fluid film before putting the tires on. Seems to have done a good job so far.

Planning to do some track events in spring once we get my friend's 240Z back up and running, so I can't comment on the track performance just yet.

Don't think you can go wrong with this setup. Plus Jerrick is a super nice, knowledgeable guy and is very quick to respond.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

After a month with my ST I have come to the conclusion that I need to address the harsh suspension. I like to maintain the responsiveness but do so with compliance that just isn't there with the stock shocks. Living in Utah I have to deal with shoddy roads but I also have great canyon drives and UMC at my disposal (an occasional track day). I'm looking at either Bilstein B6's or save up few more dollars and go with the MeisterR coilovers. Having upgraded suspension on a number of motorcycles with Penske shocks and reworked fork internals I know that magic balance can be achieved. For the motorcycle folks I have to say that this car reminds me so much of the Triumph Street Triple R, you just puts a big smile on your face.

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
seems like we're in the same boat. let me know what you choose.

I have BC Racing coils with Swift springs. Custom valved to 2jRacing spec. I love them, not too harsh, not too soft. Car is pretty neutral and predictable. I've owned pretty some expensive coilovers on other vehicles and these are very comparable.

For most people, it seems the BC racing setup, or the Meister R's work for their setups and driving habits. I'd reccomend those, the KW V1's, or the Bilstein setups for entry level coils.
Personally, I'll be running either KW v3's or some MCS 2-ways(lots of HPDE, Autox, and TT work).

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
Thats good input. I'm not looking to race everyday. It will just be my weekend warrior.
MeisterR is looking better and better.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have the BC setup as it was the best I could get back in 2014, 2jr race spec 6/5k springs, later changed to Swift 8/7k with linear rear springs which are much better than the original progressive BC springs, ride is damn good all things considered but I am on 15's which I highly recommend or at least 16's if you can find the right wheels. Lighter wheels will make the car ride better and let the suspension work better at the same time. I ran some very fast laps at MMP(now UMC) on the outer loop when on the 6/5k springs and first Cyborg turbo only making around 220WHP, enough it shocked some serious racers and a shop owner out there.

I would look into BC with Swift springs or MeisterR which seems quite good and makes me tempted to try them though I am happy with what I run(I needed more spring rate because I like to use springs when they work right instead of sway bars and I haul around 700lbs in the car fairly often)

I have had 3-way Ohlins, picked them over 3-way MCS which is damn good as well, 2-way Moton, etc...second time to have BC and both cars road and handled great and were very fast at MMP, I am staying with lower cost but good brands like BC and might try MCS in the future.

(Note: I priced out buying the new Miata, basic one, doing all my own mods like BBKs, LSD, 17x9 wheels, tuning of course or even an engine swap, and can get Single adjustable Ohlins for just over $2k which I would go with on that car)

Bilstein PSS B14's are a godsend. I've run numerous setups on a few cars over the years and my searching is over. These are incredible.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Glad you are happy with them:)

Spring rates, ride height adjustable or preset according to preload setting, etc....?

B14s, seem to be some of the best you can get from Bilstein, who also has a pretty solid name in the suspension world.
Definitely interested in your feedback after you have installed them. Suspension is the first upgrade I'm going for on mine and plan on it next month. Hopefully the Bilstein setup strikes a nice balance between response and compliance. Stock is just too harsh.

OP
C
Thread Starter #17
Definitely interested in your feedback after you have installed them. Suspension is the first upgrade I'm going for on mine and plan on it next month. Hopefully the Bilstein setup strikes a nice balance between response and compliance. Stock is just too harsh.
I definitely will

I love mine. I've been thru two sets on the FiST, 4 on my Miata, 2 on a Cherokee, 2 on a GTi, etc... This was my first Bilstein set and I'm sold. I think that had ?hlins had a setup for the FiST, I would have entertained it but I'm as happy as it gets with the B14's.

OP
C
Thread Starter #19
I love mine. I've been thru two sets on the FiST, 4 on my Miata, 2 on a Cherokee, 2 on a GTi, etc... This was my first Bilstein set and I'm sold. I think that had ?hlins had a setup for the FiST, I would have entertained it but I'm as happy as it gets with the B14's.
2 sets? how long should i expect to be able to use these?