Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Plastidip.... yey or ney?

Viau

Hi guys!

I will be wrapping the roof of my car soon. However, the only good place in OKC that can do the job said they can't wrap the front lip and the back flare. They said they had multiple customers wraps fall from these locations. He said he could plasti dip those areas. What do you guys think? Woud this be bad for the paint? yey or ney?

front lip.jpg

rear bumper.png

Plastidip is fine for the paint. I dipped my wheels and had no issues. I've blacked out chrome as well. Just make sure you lay enough layers down to peel off later if you get tired of it.

OP
Viau

Viau

Thread Starter #4
Nice! That looks really good. For the back bumper, would the heat of the exhaust would be a factor with the plasti dip?

Bluedrank

Nice! That looks really good. For the back bumper, would the heat of the exhaust would be a factor with the plasti dip?
That's a good question. I'm honestly not sure. I didn't do the back part.

I kept that the same color and did the velossa tech diffuser fins in red. That being said, I have seen a number of other cars here with that part painted in what I assume is plastisol. So I imagine it would be fine. Plus, even if it does damage a bit over time, it's incredibly easy to fix.

OP
Viau
Thread Starter #6
About to wrap the roof and plastidip the front and back fenders! I'll post picks when done!

Butterybunz

Plastidip is a great product in moderation. Make sure to apply a lot of coats for easy removal and durability. It stands up to heat very well.

AzNightmare

Hi guys!

I will be wrapping the roof of my car soon. However, the only good place in OKC that can do the job said they can't wrap the front lip and the back flare. They said they had multiple customers wraps fall from these locations. He said he could plasti dip those areas. What do you guys think? Woud this be bad for the paint? yey or ney?

View attachment 13980

View attachment 13979
The wrap installers in your area must not be very good... I don't understand why wrap in those specific areas would fall off. Being lower to the ground, those areas do get dirty easier and perhaps extra care in prep/cleaning is required, which the shop may have failed to do.

Anyway, plastidip will be a great alternative as long as a matte finish is what you're looking for.

codestp202

The wrap installers in your area must not be very good... I don't understand why wrap in those specific areas would fall off. Being lower to the ground, those areas do get dirty easier and perhaps extra care in prep/cleaning is required, which the shop may have failed to do.

Anyway, plastidip will be a great alternative as long as a matte finish is what you're looking for.

I agree, wrap should be more then sufficient in those areas, and would look much better then dip.
I do think you can get away with dip in those areas though.

AzNightmare

Well anything can be wrapped. So I didn't understand that part.

PlastiDip is easier to apply though, but that's the only advantage imo.
The material is kind of rubbery (grippy) so dust/dirt tends to stick onto it and it's hard to clean so it will never look as good as new again.
Removal is also a hit and miss, depending on the application and whether the plastidip got baked onto the body (where it'll peel in pieces instead).
It's also matte texture, so obviously wrap will be better if a gloss finish is what's desired.
I've even tried using PlastiDip glossifier before, and while it gives off a shine when new, it still has a rubbery feel which dirt will stick onto it. It is what PlastiDip is though.

I personally don't recommend PlastiDip, unless it's for blacking out an emblem, but that's my opinion. Cause I also like to DIY my wraps and prefer that method.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Do it! I PD'd mine a year ago....holding strong! Same two areas you are looking at, I think...

Actually I PD'd mine first, then applied 3 coats of paint to that. That way I can peel if I don't like the color. I didn't find a PD color that was the right grey so I did it this way in order to achieve the correct color.

PD is good stuff. I've used it on my last 5 or 6 cars, it has never failed me. On rims it peels around where the tire touches when cornering because of scraping. Other than that it's pretty durable.

I wonder if they say the wrap wont stick because of the texture of the plastic?

In any case, my advice with dip is to buy the name brand, not the Duplicolor or any other similar product. Lay it on relatively heavy (6-7 coats) and give it a full 10 minutes between coats.

OP
Viau
Thread Starter #13
thanks for the input guys. So here is the info. I live in Oklahoma in a really, really small town called Altus. I reached out to OKC to see if anyone could do the roof. Out of 4 businesses that wrap cars only one replied saying they would do it. I came to found out in OKC they don't do stuff like this, they do car wrapping but for commercial use (i.e. security companies, RV's , ads). They guys at Vinyl Vikings in OKC was able to do the roof and the front lip. Tyler the owner, was really honest and up front with me. They attempted to wrap the back fender, but the owner did not like the way it came out and decided to remove it and said that is better to do a quality job instead of a poor one. I will post some pics soon. I've been busy with life lol. But i will defensively PD the back fender. Jeff any tips on the covering of the plastic part on top of the back fender?

jeff

2000 Post Club
thanks for the input guys. So here is the info. I live in Oklahoma in a really, really small town called Altus. I reached out to OKC to see if anyone could do the roof. Out of 4 businesses that wrap cars only one replied saying they would do it. I came to found out in OKC they don't do stuff like this, they do car wrapping but for commercial use (i.e. security companies, RV's , ads). They guys at Vinyl Vikings in OKC was able to do the roof and the front lip. Tyler the owner, was really honest and up front with me. They attempted to wrap the back fender, but the owner did not like the way it came out and decided to remove it and said that is better to do a quality job instead of a poor one. I will post some pics soon. I've been busy with life lol. But i will defensively PD the back fender. Jeff any tips on the covering of the plastic part on top of the back fender?
Clean and dry everything very well first. Put a bag over the muffler so it doesn't get spray on it. Then get about 10-20 pieces of computer paper. Slide them in the crack between the part you want to PD and the honeycomb, overlapping one another several inches. Then bend up and use masking tape to attach to the bumper above. Do this all around making sure everything you don't want PD on is masked. Put a large piece of cardboard under the car so you don't get PD on the driveway/garage. Apply PD as the directions say to. Do several coats, IIRC it's 10 minutes between coats. Once final coat has been on about 10 minutes carefully take all the paper/tape/bag off. Do this very carefully or you might pull wet PD off. If you wait too long the PD could stick to the paper and then when you remove it it will tear. It sounds complicated but it's very easy. If you've never done it before it might take a few tries to get perfect depending on your taste. Just take your time to get it looking perfect (I'm a perfectionist). It's all about the time put into preparation. If you do end up getting overspray on anything it wipes off with a thumb or towel very easily.

Once it's finished and dries for a day you can wash it as normal, just don't scrub it with a brush or anything and it'll hold up for years.

Good luck!

AzNightmare

I also recommend watching YouTube tutorials for techniques on spraying PD. Videos will help 100x more than us trying to explain it.

And make sure the PD cans are room temp before using. (Probably not a problem during this time of the year). I learnt the hard way one time when I used PD that I left in the cold garage. lol

Plasti dip is great. Raail is another option that is popular for most that Liquid Wrap their vehicles. I have a group on Facebook called Peelable Automotive Paint. Feel free to join and ask questions. First I would recommend practicing on something before you spray your car. It will help with application as well as the end result. I have dipped at minimum 50 vehicles using both Plasti Dip and Raail. Both work great and peel easily as long as applied properly. Go on Youtube and look up Dipyourcar.com to watch tutorials on how to apply Plasti Dip.