Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

17' FiST steering/suspension tracking issue.

Noticed yesterday that my car has a tendency to wander on rain-grooved roadways. The tracking problem varies depending on how straight the grooves are in the road surface. Can be quite severe and almost nauseating on anything more than a few miles.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I think this just may be a characteristic of the FiST in general. It definitely has a tendency to follow the imperfections of a road.

You could try setting your alignment up a bit more toe in to decrease wander.

OP
H
Thread Starter #5
I guess wander might not be the best word for this. It will move laterally a few inches back and forth multiple times per second. The roadway surface is similar to this image, but the grooves are not straight. There are ripples in it from side to side, and the car will follow the ripples.

Light car, tall, narrow track. It will tend to follow the road ripples. As mentioned earlier, check front toe. If it is 0 or a little toe out, put about 1/16 to 1/10 toe in to make it track a little straighter. Or not drive on that road in the rain:)

Oddly enough, I've found that too much toe-in makes this car full of wanderlust.
Too much toe in is not good for many reasons. Small amount of toe in usually keeps your car from trying to turn left or right in a straight line like toe out ( or zero toe with road imperfections) will do for you...

I have driven a lot of cars that do this, if you look at the OE tire you will see why it grabs those grooves, then add in the physical size and weight of the car and you are going to follow them even more. Even my heavy convertible does it when I have tires with the big grooves in them, but a set of tires without them and the car just ignores them for the most part.

I agree with sentiment. Mine does it as well, but not nearly as bad as my old civic hatch. It would dance FEET, not inches back and forth on freshly grooved pavement.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Same here, car tracks in the direction of any linear road imperfection. God forbid if I'm WOT and there's an imperfection, because the car will yank in that direction. It's just a small car with small wheels. Maybe when the time comes, you could change to a different tire; could help.