Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lightweight car is definitely where it's at

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey folks....

Obviously just my .02 here....haven't posted much lately but I had a thought I wanted to share....of course most people reading this have a FiST so you know this...drove my friend's new 2016 S3 yesterday and I have to say it felt kinda boring compared to my car. Now I'm custom tuned with all bolt-ons and stock turbo, maximizing the low end torque rush, but still...the Audi is way faster (292hp/280tq) and just goes like a beast, but I think my car still has more max torque and just feels more fun. The Audi is big (in comparison), heavy, and just feels so composed whereas the FiST is punchy, raw, scrappy, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'd trade in a second if offered (and sell the Audi, buy a FiST, keep the change) but as it was I chose the FiST over other options (Golf R mainly) for these reasons, and for half the price it's more fun still.

Anyhow I left the S3 and got in my car and rather than feeling like I had a lesser car I actually found myself appreciating anew the driving dynamics and attitude of the FiST. Kudos to [MENTION=3805]Tune+[/MENTION] for making it so fun.

Obviously as Fiesta ST owners we are biased but I can't help but agree. Last summer a couple of friends and myself would go for a rip into the mountains every couple of weeks. They drive a '12 STi and a '16 Golf R. I was completely stock and really couldn't keep up to them when they punched it, but despite being slower it felt so much more fun (we took turns swapping rides). I think it comes down to how most people inherently judge a vehicle's fun factor... it's all about numbers which is the wrong approach.

SPhilli911

I've always been about handling over power, that's why the Fiesta works for me. Having owned an '04 STI before the Fiesta for many years, I would say the Fiesta is far more fun, despite being way less powerful. It's definitely not about the numbers.

So much fun! I know it's not the fastest in a straight line, but it feels faster than it is banging thru the gears anyway. It really is like a street legal turbo go kart. The Twisties are where it's at with this car.

When I bought my FoST there were a lot of things I loved, and some I truly missed. I had a Balt SS and being 2900lbs with a LSD and pushing 300+WHP it was a beast. The handling was good but compared to the SVT Focus I traded in was not nearly as fun. Compared to those 3 vehicles the SVT always gave me the biggest smile in the twisties, the way the vehicle rotated with the throttle and the way the vehicle responded was amazing. The FoST was also very good but was a bit lazier then the SVT, also one thing I don't like (others will disagree) is the refinement, I like raw vehicles, the Balt was raw and so was the SVT, FoST not so much.

The FiST is like a much better built SVT Focus in my eyes, more refined yes but never lost any of the personality. It may not be the fastest but has amazing potential. The other thing to consider is the type of driving being done. I drive 90% around town and when I do go on the highway it may only be a few exits. I liked my FoST a lot and when I did a trip coming back from VIR my average speed was 95+ for 10 hours and although I concentrated the car liked it. A lighter smaller car will always be more fun on a back road, those long highway runs when you really push it for an extended period vehicles like a Golf R or RS come in their own and show the GT side of things a little better.

This is the reason why I have a FiST and not the RS, it's hard to argue a valid point of why I need a 3450lb vehicle with 380WHP when I can have a FiST that is 2700lbs and 280WHP, do the math and you will see how close power to weight actually is. The bonus is though, I enjoy lightness more then power, you feel lightness everyday, the power I would rarely use due to my surroundings. Unless your constantly accelerating into triple digits 200-300whp is enough in a sub 3000lb vehicle. When your just cruising around town at 35-45mph even lame roads can be enjoyable in a small light vehicle, and even my FoST got extremely boring on my commute. The FiST is a blast :)

Obviously as Fiesta ST owners we are biased but I can't help but agree. Last summer a couple of friends and myself would go for a rip into the mountains every couple of weeks. They drive a '12 STi and a '16 Golf R. I was completely stock and really couldn't keep up to them when they punched it, but despite being slower it felt so much more fun (we took turns swapping rides). I think it comes down to how most people inherently judge a vehicle's fun factor... it's all about numbers which is the wrong approach.
Curious what your friends thought of the FiST compared to their own rides.