Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tools for install

Hi fellow modders,

I am fairly certain if I searched I can probably find some or most of the answers, but I was hoping someone knows and can provide a list of tools needed to install the following parts:

GFB DV+
Engine and Transmission mounts
FSWerks short shift kit or similar
CP-e intake (or any intake)
CP-e Intercooler (or any intercooler)
CP-e Intercooler pipes (hot and cold) (or any pipes)

The reason why I ask because I know typically, manufacturers like to use similar sized bolts (ie: a chevy blazer intake plenum removal for cleaning really only needs a pair of needle nose pliers, one flathead, 8 and 10mm deep socket with a 3" extension on 1/4" ratchet).

Right now I pretty much lost most of my tools (from my mechanic days) and would like to build a small kit of necessities for the Fiesta ST, I only really have some random sockets, a 1/2" torque wrench, some random extensions, and the 13mm? gear wrench for oil changes.

I hope this thread can evolve into "type of mods, tools required" master list or maybe even links to install guides/videos.

Or maybe I am asking too much and should just use the search bar. But I feel many people getting into these cars can benefit from a tools per mod list... something they can find on one thread.

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to chime in and drop some knowledge here... and if this thread doesn't take off, I will probably make some time to search and post a tool list for the few mods I will be installing... I think the important thing to take away from a thread like this is the less common tools that will make life easier such as ball head allen wrenches instead of straight for short shift kit install (I recall reading that this makes a huge difference, I can be wrong...).

I also feel that even basic things like needing jacks and jack stand vs not necessary is important... I hope the experienced individuals will help out people like me that is relatively new to the platform.

Metric socket set, Torx bits, metric ratcheting wrench set, and ball-head allen keys (you might only need the 5mm).

For bumper removal a few ratchet extensions and at least one bend adapter.

Check youtube, there's alot of good tutorials with lists of tools needed.

The ball head allen is critical for the gfb. I didn't have one and it was a pain in the a$$.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
^this!!! If you don't have a ball head ur likely to strip the bolt. Ask me how i know

DangerMouse

The ball head allen is critical for the gfb. I didn't have one and it was a pain in the a$$.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
I tried without, didn't work. Went to home Depot and bought 3/8 drive extended ball socket allens. They were awful, just spun and tried to strip it.

I had to get creative and pull the intercooler piping and use extensions and swivels. Major pain in the ass.

Lowes has a sale on kobalt socket sets right now. I just picked up some 1/4" drive sockets.

I pretty much buy tools like I buy car parts, just keep stocking up on them, you will use them eventually.

OP
Manta Ray
Thread Starter #7
I tried without, didn't work. Went to home Depot and bought 3/8 drive extended ball socket allens. They were awful, just spun and tried to strip it.

I had to get creative and pull the intercooler piping and use extensions and swivels. Major pain in the ass.

Lowes has a sale on kobalt socket sets right now. I just picked up some 1/4" drive sockets.

I pretty much buy tools like I buy car parts, just keep stocking up on them, you will use them eventually.
Hmm!! It seems like (since I am replacing my hot charge pipe) I can combine installs (gfb dv and hot charge pipe in one go and save the effort?

what are common socket sizes for this car?
I'd like to see what I dont have to buy, since.. i blew my budget on parts. lol and its Ron's fault. :( lol

Just get yourself a good metric set. Lowes has em', Home Depot, Harbor Freight (which is where I get most of mine, their lifetime warranty is great!)

DangerMouse

Yeah definitely can do the charge pipe and gfb install at same time! Get a good 3/8 drive metric socket set, ratchet and an extension set. You could always buy a "kit" in a plastic case but personally I don't like having a bunch of cases full of tools. I prefer kobalt for my sockets and ratchets but husky is decent from home Depot.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-11-Piece-Metric-3-8-in-Drive-6-Point-Socket-Set/3652536

I have these and the extended sockets which I can't find online at the moment. I also prefer 6 sided as apposed to the 12 point sockets but either will do. I have both.