Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dodge Demon

Just kind of wondering everyone's thoughts. I'm not a Hellcat fan but I think they nailed the Demon in terms of making something that really has never been done in a street legal vehicle. The platform has always held the challenger back and the Hellcat was a band aid that has no chance against the new ZL1. The Demon though, really has no competition but even so the numbers are impressive and taking an 11 sec car into a 9 second car truly deserves some credit.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/new-york-auto-show/news/a33203/how-the-dodge-demon-runs-9s-only-840-horsepower/

This is what all the Easter eggs meant, I would never of got some of these lol
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/new-york-auto-show/news/g6955/explaining-the-math-behind-all-those-demon-easter-eggs/

GAbOS

It's competition would be the Cobra Jet but that one actually got sign off from the NHRA and is more of a drag car thank road car. The Dodge will need a cage and harnesses before you can take it to a strip that cares about safety.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

OP
Crooked Letta
Thread Starter #3
It's competition would be the Cobra Jet but that one actually got sign off from the NHRA and is more of a drag car thank road car. The Dodge will need a cage and harnesses before you can take it to a strip that cares about safety.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
Yes, the COPO Camaro and Cobra Jet are both competitors but not street legal, not to mention very limited. I did kind of wonder why the Demon didn't have a roll cage but you can still run it, just slower cant reach 9's. Most likely some US crash testing BS is why.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Hats off for the non-mambie pambie extreme approach! As a FiST owner, I'm bang-for-the-buck. C5 twin-turbo corvette would be my route for something radical.

OP
Crooked Letta
Thread Starter #6
Hats off for the non-mambie pambie extreme approach! As a FiST owner, I'm bang-for-the-buck. C5 twin-turbo corvette would be my route for something radical.
For a drag car I would put snails on a vette. For a track car or toy build an LS7, all the power you need with out the risk of burning it down lol.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If I could afford a Demon, I'd put it on road course...out of spite.
Hey, with the 'correct' dampers/suspension, a decent diet, and the widest R7s one could fit all around, WHY not??!! [ohcrap] [burnout]

But my guess is that it would severely heat soak within a couple of laps from that HUMONGOUS (and probably over-spun with a tiny pulley) huffer sitting in the valley, regardless of how huge an intercooler/charge cooler they stuck in it. [:(]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
For a drag car I would put snails on a vette. For a track car or toy build an LS7, all the power you need with out the risk of burning it down lol.
^^^THIS.

Even though they look like one, neither the C6 ZR1, nor the current C7 Z06, are road course 'track cars' to me.
Supercharging and road courses just do not mix very well (I barely like turbos for road course use, even though they have proven themselves to be capable of being kept from heat soaking, when done carefully/properly).

Last edited:
Having organized events for the COPO and Cobra Jet, those cars are different animals - purpose-built drag cars. Both start as a body-in-white, have the full cages installed, then are built as race cars, not on the assembly line. In the case of the Cobra Jet, they're built by Watson Racing, a contractor to Ford. The Demon is a Hellcat Challenger with more go-fast parts put on it - basically many of the aftermarket parts you'd put on a Hellcat to make it a modified drag car, like a stouter rear end, drag radials, trans brake, etc, and some trick OEM stuff like the air conditioned intake. Out of the box, I'd bet that it's too fast by NHRA standards to run without a roll bar, hence the "illegality". What makes it cool, in my opinion, is that all of the work is done for you, and it's all under warranty. You can buy this thing and avoid all of the headaches of having the mods done afterwards.

I'd bet that due to the exclusivity, many Demons will be bought and put in collections. Talking with the guys who build COPOs and Cobra Jets, I'm told that between 10% and 20% of the cars built are actually raced, the majority going into collections. Kind of sad to think of race cars not being... raced.

My dream drag car would be 13-14 Mustang 5.0 with 6spd auto and torque converter. The power adder would be either vmp supercharger or twin turbos on some slicks.

Yup. When automatic 5.0s were hitting 10.8 with nothing but a Procharger and a good tune, they became the gotta have cars.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Yes, the COPO Camaro and Cobra Jet are both competitors but not street legal, not to mention very limited. I did kind of wonder why the Demon didn't have a roll cage but you can still run it, just slower cant reach 9's. Most likely some US crash testing BS is why.
It's sanctioning body rules. I believe anything below 10's requires roll cage and racing license.

OP
Crooked Letta
Thread Starter #14
It's sanctioning body rules. I believe anything below 10's requires roll cage and racing license.
Correct, but the question was why doesn't the Demon have a roll cage, not why it needs one. You can still run it to but as soon as you get into the 9's with out the requirements they cut you off.