Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Federal RS-RR

OP
B
Thread Starter #21
Sorry off the wall, missed that. It's a liability thing. They can't have it both ways but they will try. Is my guess.

Well yeah, otherwise they would have to sell the tires as off road only, which would be ridiculous for a tire with 140tw. Wouldn't even be worth importing those, no one would ever buy them.

Here's a picture of the stamp on a RSRR if you actually need to see it, the newer RSRR looks like it got a 200tw stamp too, probably to allow it to be used in street class autocross, TT and chump/lemons.

Canadianguy, why did you choose the RS-R over the RS-RR? I assumed that federal took RS-R and improved on it? Seems the RS-RR has a superior tire rating of 200 over 140. Thanks for your help. There isn't a lot of information out there regarding weather. Noise isn't a issue to me or treadwear. Mostly about good grip and price.
Don't look to much into that 200 tread wear rating. When Federal first released the RS-RR it had 140 stamped on the tire. At some point they figured out they could sell more if they stamped 200 on there, and so they did. They didn't change the compound, just the number. Bridgestone did the same thing with the RE71. If that wasn't such a popular competition tire it would probably also have a 140 rating.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Well yeah, otherwise they would have to sell the tires as off road only, which would be ridiculous for a tire with 140tw. Wouldn't even be worth importing those, no one would ever buy them.

Here's a picture of the stamp on a RSRR if you actually need to see it, the newer RSRR looks like it got a 200tw stamp too, probably to allow it to be used in street class autocross, TT and chump/lemons.

Cool, that is good to know. I wasn't doubting it but their legal wording of the type of tire brought up some confusion.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thanks for the input. Seems like I can get away with them here in Florida as long as I reduce speed. Any negatives with the RS-RR's? Tiggerbren? Thanks Canadian guy. I thought the Federals are like a super sticky summer tire that can do some track duty also. Not interested in a race tire.
IF they were as wide in tread width as the 595 Evos, they would be going onto my summer wheels even for street only use. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Cool, that is good to know. I wasn't doubting it but their legal wording of the type of tire brought up some confusion.
Nope, just their disclaimer to those who would come back to them crying about crazy fast wear, or the above mentioned freezing cold/snow/ice, and deep standing water use. ;)

I daily drive the RS-RR in Southern California. We had a pretty decent rain (for southern California that is) for a little here a few months ago and I did drive them in the rain. While you can drive them I did feel sketchy driving it in the rain anything above 40mph. Another issue I have with them and I know that they are a sticky aggressive tire, but the noise they make while driving for a dd is not something I want to deal with again. I am going to run them out and get something a bit more quite. Everybody that drives with me talks about it sounds like there is a street bike driving next to me the whole time. If you can get past the the grip is awesome for the price of the tires.

OP
B
Thread Starter #28
Lemon, how many miles have you gotten out of them? I have full bolt ons and a x37 on e30. I just wanted a tire I can rip in the short term.

I value all your opinions and experiences. It gives a well balanced and informed choice.

It does rain here in Miami. That is my biggest concern is hydroplaning. Some say no problem is you drive with sense. Others seem like it's a death sentence. All seem to agree it's loud. To daily or not for 10k miles or so? That's the conundrum. You guys are awesome.

RS-RR's here. I love them. I've run NT-01's in the past. Federals are louder than the NT-01's but the cold and wet traction is much much better. Obviously it's nearly impossible to get enough heat in an R-compound tire driving on the street, but they grip like mad. I love them and haven't been afraid to drive in the wet, puddles at speed included. I will buy again.

IMG_1925.JPG

I daily drive the RS-RR in Southern California. We had a pretty decent rain (for southern California that is) for a little here a few months ago and I did drive them in the rain. While you can drive them I did feel sketchy driving it in the rain anything above 40mph. Another issue I have with them and I know that they are a sticky aggressive tire, but the noise they make while driving for a dd is not something I want to deal with again. I am going to run them out and get something a bit more quite. Everybody that drives with me talks about it sounds like there is a street bike driving next to me the whole time. If you can get past the the grip is awesome for the price of the tires.
I have about 6k on them at the moment. Just rotated them. The ones that were on the front are barely above the wear bars and the rears look pretty much new, but now those are in the front. I have had an ported modified X-47 on Ca 91 on for about 500+ miles now, but havent gone through the rain lately. I would probably rotate them ever 1k if you want to get better life out of them.

OP
B
Thread Starter #32
Does it hook? The X47 has to be close if not more that 300 whp? You're the perfect person to ask since we have a similar set up. I wanted these to experience what the car can do off the line. Right now the first two gears are worthless.

Does it hook? The X47 has to be close if not more that 300 whp? You're the perfect person to ask since we have a similar set up. I wanted these to experience what the car can do off the line. Right now the first two gears are worthless.
Sourskittle has build me a Frankenstein X-47 (if you want to call it that) that should be hopefully punishing more then the standard X-47, have to wait till ron is done tuning it to dyno and see. It depends on the temp outside/ temp in the tires. Yesterday I was driving to see F8 and was messing around with the accessport traction control. With the traction control on and it set at the 6th setting I got no wheel spin and no light of spinning on the dash like it was trying to interfere in first or second gear (I did get a chirp when shifting into second for a second). Not sure if I am using the traction control system right. Under the same conditions later that night after the movie with a 10 degree difference in temp outside I got spin in second gear, but I also attribute this to the tires still being on the colder side.

OP
B
Thread Starter #35
Eleven and lemons, thanks for your perspective. I wanted a super sticky tire that wasn't a race tire, however I don't want to die for them. Seems the consensus is they are really loud. Fantastic dry grip. The wet driving seems to be iffy.

Lemons when you said sketchy did you mean you were hydroplaning all the time?

The price I was getting was $589 out the door installed. If anyone can recommend a tire that is just as sticky for the similar price I'm all ears.

$138 per tire installed.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Definitely NOT "as sticky" as the RS-RRs, but I'm guessing stickier than the whole 300-340 tread wear class of street tires (except maybe the costly Michelin PSS), the Federal 595 Evo is less coin than the RS-Rs and RS-RRs, and (hopefully since I plan to get them for my 1.2s) quieter than either of those.

It also has more cuts/sipes in it's tread pattern (much less slick than the other two Federals), so even though it will 'chunk' easier on a road course/autocross course, it will also handle deep standing water better, with fewer worries. [:)]

Eleven and lemons, thanks for your perspective. I wanted a super sticky tire that wasn't a race tire, however I don't want to die for them. Seems the consensus is they are really loud. Fantastic dry grip. The wet driving seems to be iffy.

Lemons when you said sketchy did you mean you were hydroplaning all the time?

The price I was getting was $589 out the door installed. If anyone can recommend a tire that is just as sticky for the similar price I'm all ears.

$138 per tire installed.
Not loud, at least initially. Just a nice hum. Wet driving experience here isn't iffy at all and I've driven in downpours.

onlinetires.com was $346.82 shipped and $64 install at Discount Tire. $410.82

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Yesterday drove in a downpour on a back road that have ruts in the road where all the cars drive and collect water. No issues at all. Hit a couple of deeper puddles hard which rinsed off the undecarriage but no loss of control.

OP
B
Thread Starter #40
Thanks for all your help. It's nice to get real feedback. I'm sold on them. These will be my next set no doubt. Hard to truly believe a salesman who Is trying to sell you on tires he wants to sell. He lost all credibility when I asked him if he has ever sold them and replied with a no. I appreciate you guys being able to give me real world feedback versus guesses.

215/40/17 online tires was $111.26 per tire and a total of $445.04, without shipping. As of today. Thanks again!