Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Federal RS-RR

Size: Federal 595 RS-RR 215/40ZR17 87W on stock rims.

I have been unable to get a straight answer from companies selling these. I have gotten a yes and a no.

The question is this: can I use these as a daily driver?

Federal sells them as a high performance tire. I take that to mean a summer tire. Not a race tire since they sell them as well.

I wanted to see if anyone on the forum has used them as a daily. My concern is driving them in the rain. Thanks for your time.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Technically they are not DOT legal and competition use only. The only thing that would stop me is the climate/weather, it rains too much here even during the summer so I had to go with a Performance Summer tire on my new wheels. If you are in Miami where it's almost always warm all year then I wouldn't worry about it.

Agreed...only thing to really consider is rain and the tires ability to manage water evacuation. Been considering a set since bridgestone refuses to make an Re71r in a 205/40 or a 215/40. Miami can be very wet, as can cincinnati with our weird Miami Valley micro climate. Consider carefully.

OP
B
Thread Starter #4
Agreed...only thing to really consider is rain and the tires ability to manage water evacuation. Been considering a set since bridgestone refuses to make an Re71r in a 205/40 or a 215/40. Miami can be very wet, as can cincinnati with our weird Miami Valley micro climate. Consider carefully.
Exactly. This is part nobody can answer. All about if I can drive it in the rain or not. One company says yes and the other says no. Federal makes it seem like a sticky summer tire. I haven't seen anything stating it is for competition only. Has a 200 tire wear rating.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's not any more of a pure competition/race tire than any of the other 200 tread wear offerings out there, and it HAS TO BE DOT street legal in order for it to be legal in whatever/S autocross.

I know you get VIOLENT downpours in Dade County, but just how much deep STANDING water is the result??

I have not driven down there for at least 40 years, {had relatives there} so I forgot what the roads are like as per drainage capabilities, but the absolute HARDEST rain I have EVER experienced in my 62 years on this globe was driving on 95 through the Daytona Beach area, and the ONLY time in my driving life I HAD TO pull over and stop for not being able to see an inch past the windshield!!)

These tires would be fine on just wet, or very shallow standing water, but I would think twice if you MUST drive through DEEP standing water. ;)

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
The big difference between the RS-R and RS-RR is the compound. The pattern is just for show and as deep and wide in both. I have The RS-R and they are fine in wet and very wet. As it gets more wet drive to the condition. I have had no issues in heavy rain with 50 degree temp even standing puddles. In the rain the evacuated plenty good I feel even better then Bridgestone stock. When temps are dry have not been able to break them. Even a right hand turn from one street to another doing a second gear pull. They stayed composed and gripped. My recommendation get the RS-R over the RS-RR if you can. But the RS-RR do look real nice in person.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
For whatever that's worth, I have driven in the pouring rain on BF Goodrich Rival-S - that essentially had turned into slicks (wasn't paying attention, evidently). The FiST (which in my case has close to 240 hp by my guesstimate) was yawing like crazy, the traction control struggling to keep it straight. Bottom line - no treads, no driving in the rain.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
For whatever that's worth, I have driven in the pouring rain on BF Goodrich Rival-S - that essentially had turned into slicks (wasn't paying attention, evidently). The FiST (which in my case has close to 240 hp by my guesstimate) was yawing like crazy, the traction control struggling to keep it straight. Bottom line - no treads, no driving in the rain.
Very true but the RS-R and RS-RR and not slicks nor racing slicks hey have deep wide groves almost 1/4" inch. With the pattern they evacuate water very well. I was surprised how well the RS-R faired even cold. The water was on the road yet I had traction brake and power. I was trying to find the limit to k ow it but it was not easy to find and be safe. With that I am happy.

I got blindsided by a snowstorm a few weeks ago during a 10 hour drive on my rs-rr's. Was driving through slush for about an hour. I reduced my speed and had no problems.

OP
B
Thread Starter #10
Thanks for the input. Seems like I can get away with them here in Florida as long as I reduce speed. Any negatives with the RS-RR's? Tiggerbren? Thanks Canadian guy. I thought the Federals are like a super sticky summer tire that can do some track duty also. Not interested in a race tire.

Technically they are not DOT legal and competition use only. The only thing that would stop me is the climate/weather, it rains too much here even during the summer so I had to go with a Performance Summer tire on my new wheels. If you are in Miami where it's almost always warm all year then I wouldn't worry about it.
FYI the first part of that statement isn't true but the second is. The tires are DOT stamped for highway use and have a treadwear rating of 140 which is the same as a lot of other performance street tires. A lot of the extreme performance tires don't do that great in standing water. My Direzza Star Spec IIs were pretty terrible in standing water, but I've heard the same of RE71R and Rival S too. In anything less they were great.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thanks for the input. Seems like I can get away with them here in Florida as long as I reduce speed. Any negatives with the RS-RR's? Tiggerbren? Thanks Canadian guy. I thought the Federals are like a super sticky summer tire that can do some track duty also. Not interested in a race tire.
They are sticky street tires. That is why I did get the RS-R. like I said I like them a lot but drive to the road conditions when it is raining heavily and you will be fine.

Depending on what you are looking for in a tire there could be negatives. They're the loudest tire I've run. They hum steadily starting at 25mph. You can also feel more road vibration compared to OEM tires. Personally I'm having fun with loud, stiff tires, but I know that some people are looking for a better balance of performance and comfort. If you're looking to do some track duty I think it's worth it to give them a try. The price isn't bad for the tire.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Depending on what you are looking for in a tire there could be negatives. They're the loudest tire I've run. They hum steadily starting at 25mph. You can also feel more road vibration compared to OEM tires. Personally I'm having fun with loud, stiff tires, but I know that some people are looking for a better balance of performance and comfort. If you're looking to do some track duty I think it's worth it to give them a try. The price isn't bad for the tire.
That is very interesting. I hear the hum as well on the RS-R, the interesting part is that they were switched off from winters and I find them WAYYYY quieter. LOL guess i don't remember the OE. Still, like you, windows down sunroof open I really don't mind.

OP
B
Thread Starter #15
Canadianguy, why did you choose the RS-R over the RS-RR? I assumed that federal took RS-R and improved on it? Seems the RS-RR has a superior tire rating of 200 over 140. Thanks for your help. There isn't a lot of information out there regarding weather. Noise isn't a issue to me or treadwear. Mostly about good grip and price.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
FYI the first part of that statement isn't true but the second is. The tires are DOT stamped for highway use and have a treadwear rating of 140 which is the same as a lot of other performance street tires. A lot of the extreme performance tires don't do that great in standing water. My Direzza Star Spec IIs were pretty terrible in standing water, but I've heard the same of RE71R and Rival S too. In anything less they were great.
"Description: Proven on the circuit, the 595RS-R is highly acclaimed and much demanded for drifting, sprinting and track-day applications. The sleek design and ultra high performance of the 595RS-R makes it the number one choice for those requiring a motorsport tire but with the assured standards of a street legal tire. Even DOT approved or E-Mark approved Federal competition tyres are designed and compounded for competition use only and are not intended for highway or road use."

States it for the RS-R but not the RS-RR for some reason. The RS-RR is a race specific tire so I imagine the same applies. I'm not saying I wouldn't run them but some people care about that sort of thing and so might your local law enforcement if you ever get stopped.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products.../215%2F40-17+federal+595+rs-r+racing+83w.html

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Canadianguy, why did you choose the RS-R over the RS-RR? I assumed that federal took RS-R and improved on it? Seems the RS-RR has a superior tire rating of 200 over 140. Thanks for your help. There isn't a lot of information out there regarding weather. Noise isn't a issue to me or treadwear. Mostly about good grip and price.
No real reason. I was in a hurry and needed an in stock set of tires. Weather was warming up, the winters are great but cannot handle power and torque and I had sold my stock set up. I had 12 tires selected at several tyre shops but stock was nil on many at the 215/40R17 size(Yokohama advan was my top choice). Was either the 595 EVO, cheaper, the RS-R or the Pirrelli P-Zero GT (stupid expensive at 3x the 595). Read up on the 595, did not see anything of concern, was worried about heavy rain and cold(as spring and fall temp can swing wild) and figured the risk were manageable so go them. I don't hold much value to the thread wear. Our OE are 140 and held up good for hard DD driving. Beside at the price they are if I only get one summer I know it will be a fun fill summer. I suspect I will get 2 but will see when I rotate them.

"Description: Proven on the circuit, the 595RS-R is highly acclaimed and much demanded for drifting, sprinting and track-day applications. The sleek design and ultra high performance of the 595RS-R makes it the number one choice for those requiring a motorsport tire but with the assured standards of a street legal tire. Even DOT approved or E-Mark approved Federal competition tyres are designed and compounded for competition use only and are not intended for highway or road use."

States it for the RS-R but not the RS-RR for some reason. The RS-RR is a race specific tire so I imagine the same applies. I'm not saying I wouldn't run them but some people care about that sort of thing and so might your local law enforcement if you ever get stopped.

http://www.onlinetires.com/products.../215%2F40-17+federal+595+rs-r+racing+83w.html
Man, I don't wanna battle about this because it really doesn't matter, but I also don't want anyone to actually get the idea that you could fail safety inspection for these tires or get pulled over for them in case someone searches this.

If the tires have a DOT stamp (which they do) they are legal to run on a car as long as the tires fit within the load rating. You cannot get pulled over for running these tires with 140 treadwear and a DOT stamp. Keep in mind the stock summer tires on the fiesta st are also 140 treadwear rating. You also cannot get pulled over for running 40 treadwear hoosier A7s which include a single rain groove, or drag radials, or any other tire with a DOT stamp. Totally legal.

That text is a description from the manufacturer and appears to be some kind of legal department type warning, probably to avoid situations where people try to run them year round or due to poor standing water performance, but like I said all of the extreme performance tires I have ever run have poor standing water performance. This includes RE71R, RE-11, DII SS, RT615, etc. Since tread pattern can impact how a tire performs and feels when it's dry out, especially as the street tire wars have started to heat up, seems like manufacturers will sacrifice wet performance for better dry performance.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Have you actually confirmed that these have a DOT stamp? I'm not trying to argue either but it's a valid point that the manufacturer themselves stated. I can only imagine what may happen if you were involved in an accident on the streets and insurance figures out you were on competition tires. That would not be good in any situation.

And I wasn't trying to say you could get pulled over just for your tires but some states have a very picky inspection process that involves checking the tires for tread level and condition. I'm not saying a police officer would be able to tell from glancing at your tires that they are "competition-only" tires.

OP
B
Thread Starter #20
"but with the assured standards of a street legal tire"

I thought you proved it yourself when you quoted Federal?