Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Keep breaking lugs - advice for hardened lugs??

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OK then, are there ANY problems (besides draining one's bank account) with Ti lug nuts on steel lug studs?

I would go with the ever-popular Mutekis, but they do not make a shorter, lighter, steel lug nut than their SR 35s, which is what I want. (Excessively long lug nuts, besides weighing more for NO purpose whatsoever, especially with short factory length lug studs, is very 'ricey' to me personally.) ;)

The Rays (somewhat) short forged steel, closed end ones look OK, but I have not heard much about their quality, and if it is as high as their wheel quality. [dunno]

My guess is that ANY other available material is stronger/more 'reliable' than even the strongest alloy, forged aluminum lug nuts out there, no??

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #82
OK then, are there ANY problems (besides draining one's bank account) with Ti lug nuts on steel lug studs?

I would go with the ever-popular Mutekis, but they do not make a shorter, lighter, steel lug nut than their SR 35s, which is what I want. (Excessively long lug nuts, besides weighing more for NO purpose whatsoever, especially with short factory length lug studs, is very 'ricey' to me personally.) ;)

The Rays (somewhat) short forged steel, closed end ones look OK, but I have not heard much about their quality, and if it is as high as their wheel quality. [dunno]

My guess is that ANY other available material is stronger/more 'reliable' than even the strongest alloy, forged aluminum lug nuts out there, no??
I didn't have any on my 911 which used Mg, but - if you use anything beyond a kid glove approach (e.g., impact wrench), you will damage them.

I suppose you'd have to experiment - ultimately, if you can maintain torque, that's all that matters, imho.

I can tell you that on the other side of the spectrum, on my GT350R the studs are ridiculously long - so, when I switched to the more 'reasonable' wheels (as opposed to the OEM carbon fiber ones) from the Need4Speed folks, I had to use 2 stacked lug nuts, as N4S only offers open ended lug nuts, and I definitely don't like that look. So, the stubby open-ended one goes in first (@150 lb-ft), and a long truck nut goes on top of that.

Things we do for the purpose of aesthetics...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I don't own an impact wrench, and the ONLY time it will go anywhere that they will only use an impact to remove (I make them hand torque the installation, or they don't get the sale ;) ) the lugs is during our state's EFFING required PRIVATE inspection CRAP.

I will have the factory wheels on for that in late October, with the McGard black chrome, through hardened steel nuts on them, so even the knuckle-draggers at the service station would have a hard time hurting them!
(NO WAY I would let them TOUCH my Pro Race 1.2s, OR a set of $200.00+ Ti lug nuts with any type of wrench!! [nono])

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #84
^^^I don't own an impact wrench, and the ONLY time it will go anywhere that they will only use an impact to remove (I make them hand torque the installation, or they don't get the sale ;) ) the lugs is during our state's EFFING required PRIVATE inspection CRAP.

I will have the factory wheels on for that in late October, with the McGard black chrome, through hardened steel nuts on them, so even the knuckle-draggers at the service station would have a hard time hurting them!
(NO WAY I would let them TOUCH my Pro Race 1.2s, OR a set of $200.00+ Ti lug nuts with any type of wrench!! [nono])
I hear you. However, I honestly don't see the point in spending dough on lug nuts - beyond some basic cosmetics. First, you have to worry about damaging them, and they don't really deliver any difference in performance. If you have already mastered the 10/10th driving and are chasing milliseconds, then - perhaps. For me, I am some ways away from that.