Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CEL with catless downpipe

I'm about to order a catless downpipe, I'm already aware I'm going to receive a readiness cel due to the car going catless..
On my gti the tune I had removed that readiness check on the ECU so the car thought that everything was a.ok
Just curious how you guys dealt with getting rid of the cel? I don't want to deal with it when it comes time for emmisions
Btw I sent an email to COBB and they told me NONE of their tunes on the access port allow me to get rid of the CEL and I'd need a pro tune so is there another option for me tuner wise ? I really don't feel the need for a pro tune since I don't plan on autocrossing my daily
Thanks in Advance

Yes my car threw a CEL with a catless downpipe. You can clear it temporarily on the accessport but it will eventually pop up again. My tuner permanently cleared it.

OP
N
Thread Starter #3
Yes my car threw a CEL with a catless downpipe. You can clear it temporarily on the accessport but it will eventually pop up again. My tuner permanently cleared it.
That's the thing I don't have a tuner , and I'm also curious, other than Cobb, what are my options

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Gotcha covered OP!

Here is the spark plug defouler from 2J Racing - it threads in to the downpipe O2 sensor bung (downstream sensor) and offsets the sensor so that it doesn't see much air flow / exhaust flow.

This tricks the system into thinking that the catalytic converter is doing a good job in reducing the pollutants and it carries on as normal!

I used the same trick in my Fiesta as I did in my supercharged 4Runner that doesn't have catalytic converters. The 4Runner doesn't have it 'tuned out' so to speak and thus I needed a solution - this worked! It has thrown the 'catalytic converter not working' code once on me, which I cleared with my OBDII reader. Hasn't come back.

OP
N
Thread Starter #7
Why goncatless if you are not getting the benefit of the extra airflow from a tune?
Btw that was my question, I want to get a tune but im asking about a tune that will get rid of the cel I'll get from having no cat .

OP
N
Thread Starter #8
Gotcha covered OP!

Here is the spark plug defouler from 2J Racing - it threads in to the downpipe O2 sensor bung (downstream sensor) and offsets the sensor so that it doesn't see much air flow / exhaust flow.

This tricks the system into thinking that the catalytic converter is doing a good job in reducing the pollutants and it carries on as normal!

I used the same trick in my Fiesta as I did in my supercharged 4Runner that doesn't have catalytic converters. The 4Runner doesn't have it 'tuned out' so to speak and thus I needed a solution - this worked! It has thrown the 'catalytic converter not working' code once on me, which I cleared with my OBDII reader. Hasn't come back.
This actually works?? I've never hear of this before

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
This actually works?? I've never hear of this before
Yes they work. Had them on trucks before when I was hacking the cat off for off roasting. Some work better then others. One person on this forum did use one to pass the tests as it was only read from obd2.