Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stratified tuning really worth it?

Do you have any mods?
I have an intake only while running stage two. Cobb has advised me to throw an aftermarket FMIC, but idk if they're trying to sell me. MAPerformance said I'd be fine w/ the intake running a stage 2. Thoughts?
Yes I'm full stage 3, and I would not personally run stage 2 without a upgraded intercooler. Its not worth the risk IMO, the factory intercooler isn't very good

Do you have any mods?
I have an intake only while running stage two. Cobb has advised me to throw an aftermarket FMIC, but idk if they're trying to sell me. MAPerformance said I'd be fine w/ the intake running a stage 2. Thoughts?
Not sure if the torque number you showed before is anything to worry about, as I don't pay attention to those numbers. They're more of an estimate as far as I understand it. The Cobb OTS tunes are known to be pretty conservative though. I would guess you are probably OK running the stage 2 tune even without an intercooler, but you are going to get heat soaked more quickly and the ECU will pull power to compensate. So if you are just doing a single pull, you will probably be fine, but if you are doing a canyon run or some tracking, I would stick to stage 1.

I went from stock to MP215.... MP215 to Cobb OTS S1.... Cobb OTS S1 to Cobb OTS S2.... Cobb OTS S2 to Stratified

All of this was on 93 octane.

I can say that the Stratified tune is absolutely worth it, and I haven't even done my revision yet. The car just drives better and pulls harder. The pedal is more responsive to my inputs. I was pretty disappointed in the Cobb OTS tunes, both S1 and S2. I preferred my MP215 tune over both of those, and the Strat over the MP215.

Peak PSI I saw on each tune:

MP215 23PSI (1.5 years)
Cobb 1 21.5 PSI (2 months)
Cobb 2 21.7 PSI (2-3 days, no noticeable difference over 1 IMO, took a vdyno and only saw an increase of 2-3hp)
Stratified 25 PSI (2 weeks and counting, need to vdyno still)

Stratified is definitely the way to go when it comes to flash tunes. The car even in normal driving situations feels better. Great throttle response through all gears and I personally like the how 1st isn't limited. The car feels better in everyday driving situations as well rev hang being practically eliminated. Purchased it after putting on my aftermarket intercooler and have since gotten one step colder plugs, so I'm doing a datalog revision right now. With that setup, I get mostly positive corrections in the range of 1.5-2.3 under WOT.

Nope none at all. Car pulls great but midrange power is where it shines, even with no supporting mods
(late post haha)

I pulled the trig, and had the fiance purchase one for my bday. I hope it arrives today so I can test it out. I informed them about the mods (listed in my signature) I have. Hopefully it shines as you say. Not like you, I wouldn't have the balls to test out a strat tune with a stock FiST. Perhaps I'm too chicken-sh*t [ohcrap].

How has the tune been treating you btw?

- JR

It's still awesome.. gas mileage hasn't changed and the pops are great even on the stock exhaust, not super loud of course but certainly audible

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I'm gonna go with no.

The product seems to be solid but the turn over time is pretty ridiculous... You'll be waiting around 2 weeks for a tune.

If you're not sold on PnC (and oh my god is it obnoxious) then I would look elsewhere. DHM has been the leader for FiST's and I should have put my money in their pocket instead of Stratified. All I have to show for it is lost time and lost money.

EDIT - Tune was purchased MARCH 15 - AS OF JUNE 19, had not finished tuning. 96 DAYS.

I'm gonna go with no.

The product seems to be solid but the turn over time is pretty ridiculous... You'll be waiting around 2 weeks for a tune.

If you're not sold on PnC (and oh my god is it obnoxious) then I would look elsewhere. DHM has been the leader for FiST's and I should have put my money in their pocket instead of Stratified. All I have to show for it is lost time and lost money.

EDIT - Tune was purchased MARCH 15 - AS OF JUNE 19, had not finished tuning. 96 DAYS.
Did you contact them at all? I did shortly after 48 hours since filling out my tuning form and they were prompt with delivering my tune.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Did you contact them at all? I did shortly after 48 hours since filling out my tuning form and they were prompt with delivering my tune.
I had contacted them throughout the process, mostly via email. Phone calls were placed but I don't recall dates.

If you're looking for an 'off the shelf' tune I imagine they can provide that quickly as I assume all other vendors can as well. A custom tune takes way too long in my opinion.

I have been work with Alex at Stratified for a few months now and I have to say customer service is Awesome! Every time I call I get a person Very help full with all my dumb Question (I ask a LOT of Questions). I have a full bolt ons and a x47, The 93 oct tune feels great and rips (on a 40 mph roll I will pull on stock 5.0). Right now we are working on a new tune with his aux fuel kit and e fuel. Sure I would be done tuning By if I went with someone else But would it be Right? Would It be safe? I have tuned with two other people and I was not happy with ether the customer service or the tune. There is always a trade of some where. With Alex and Stratified I have great customer service and a great tune but he is a little slow sometime get the tune back to you. To me It is worth it And will not be using anyone else.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I have been work with Alex at Stratified for a few months now and I have to say customer service is Awesome! Every time I call I get a person Very help full with all my dumb Question (I ask a LOT of Questions). I have a full bolt ons and a x47, The 93 oct tune feels great and rips (on a 40 mph roll I will pull on stock 5.0). Right now we are working on a new tune with his aux fuel kit and e fuel. Sure I would be done tuning By if I went with someone else But would it be Right? Would It be safe? I have tuned with two other people and I was not happy with ether the customer service or the tune. There is always a trade of some where. With Alex and Stratified I have great customer service and a great tune but he is a little slow sometime get the tune back to you. To me It is worth it And will not be using anyone else.
Good stuff! Do you have any virtual dynos to see what numbers you are potentially putting down?

I've said it before - the tune seems to hold its own, it's simply the wait time for tune revisions that's annoying.

Glad you're moving to the next step in power - do you have a thread to log your improvements / power gains?

Edit - also, who else did you tune with before Stratified?

Since with the x47 I have not been to dyno but with my stock turbo and a custom e tune I made 307 torque and 219 hp. I do plan on dynoing in it with the x47 and e fuel when it is done. I didn't do the 93 tune because it is 100 dollars a time for the dyno and that is just my daily driving tune.
*I don't really want to say who the other tuners are because they are larger names with good reps.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Since with the x47 I have not been to dyno but with my stock turbo and a custom e tune I made 307 torque and 219 hp. I do plan on dynoing in it with the x47 and e fuel when it is done. I didn't do the 93 tune because it is 100 dollars a time for the dyno and that is just my daily driving tune.
*I don't really want to say who the other tuners are because they are larger names with good reps.
It's odd that individuals are afraid of voicing their opinion on a first hand experience. I'll go ahead and assume it's both DHM and Tune+ as they're 'larger names with good reps'.

Good numbers on the stock turbo though!