Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stratified tuning really worth it?

I've seen quite a few posts recommending getting a tune from stratified but I've got a couple questions. i only have the Cobb stage 1 package and its really only a high flow air filter so would the stratified tune really make a difference over the Cobb ots stage 1 tune? and i guess my bigger concern is would there be any issues with safety for the car? i'd love a little more kick but not at the long term expense of my car.

i'm new to tuning and modifying in general so i guess im just a little nervous going in.
any suggestions from anyone whos been running one for a while would be appreciated.

thanks guys

i ran a stage 2 OTS tune on a completely stock car. getting a pro tune wouldn't hurt it. it might be better to go to a local place that can tune your car. better than trying to calculate over an email.

I am running the 91oct strat flash tune and other than the AP itself is the best money you can spend on the car. Safer, faster, smoother and just all around better than Cobb stage 1. I am stock with a cat back currently and I cannot recommend this tune enough. Spend the $50 for the flash tune at least. You won't regret it.

To clarify the "Safer" comment, I was getting negative ignition corrections up to -3(knock) and sometimes higher on Cobb stage 1. They were not frequent but worrying enough to consider a different tune. So far on the strat tune I have only seen a single negative correction and it was likely due to my poor driving. No need for a pro-tune on a stock car. Unless you get an intercooler, the $50 strat flash tune is the way to go. I cannot speak for other tunes as I have only tried the 91oct strat flash tune and Cobb stage 1, but I can say the Canadians got it right.

OP
M
Thread Starter #6
I am running the 91oct strat flash tune and other than the AP itself is the best money you can spend on the car. Safer, faster, smoother and just all around better than Cobb stage 1. I am stock with a cat back currently and I cannot recommend this tune enough. Spend the $50 for the flash tune at least. You won't regret it.
Would you say the extra $50 for the data logging refinement is worth it?

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
The short answer, "yes."

The long answer: The tunes are completely different animals. Cobb gives you a quick kick in the pants while the Stratified tune pulls hard through the entire powerband.

Yes, it's worth the extra money and it will make your Cobb OTS tune feel like it was stock. The Cobb OTS tunes are fine for getting your feet wet but the Stratified will make you dive in.

OP
M
Thread Starter #8
awesome. that's enough for me to atleast give it a try.

thanks guys

Hello,

Like the original poster, I too, am a novice to tuning. In terms of the stratified rev limiter, I like that fast (dn dn dn dn dn, excuse my feeble attempt at computer exhaust sounds) exhaust note. From reviewing several maps, and reading tons of info, I realize that the FiST looses boost and overall HP around 6000 RPMs. Ideally, I would like to set the RL at 5500 RPMs, but I wanted to hear all of your thoughts.

Thanks!

- JR

Planning to get my AP and stratified flash tune in the next couple weeks...finally got some "free" money to spend somewhere

Hello,

Like the original poster, I too, am a novice to tuning. In terms of the stratified rev limiter, I like that fast (dn dn dn dn dn, excuse my feeble attempt at computer exhaust sounds) exhaust note. From reviewing several maps, and reading tons of info, I realize that the FiST looses boost and overall HP around 6000 RPMs. Ideally, I would like to set the RL at 5500 RPMs, but I wanted to hear all of your thoughts.

Thanks!

- JR
They can probably set the rev limiter to whatever you want for a little extra fee. However, there is no reason to set it lower than is necessary. If you want to shift at 5500, shift at 5500. The rev limiter is just a fail-safe to protect the engine. Also, just because the boost PSI or HP drop off a bit at 5500, doesn't mean that you should necessarily shift then if you are looking to maximize acceleration. When you shift up, you lose mechanical advantage and go back down the powerband a bit, so for most cars you are generally best going close to redline to maximize acceleration.

As for the stratified tune in general, I just got it a week or so ago, so too soon to judge for sure, but definitely has more pop than the OTS tune. The difference is most noticeable down low and in the middle of the rev range. The throttle mapping is more aggressive as well, so I find it really wants to jump off the line. I haven't taken it on the highway much, but my sense is that it tends to jump into boost more readily just cruising down the road (e.g. going up a small hill) at higher speeds. Again, I've only had a brief time with it, but I'll be curious to see if it affects highway MPGs. My MPGs so far have been lower than with the Cobb OTS, but I think that's cause it just makes you want to hoon it so much! Definitely worth the price for the fun factor.

As for safety, it's a lot of boost to be putting through that little turbo, but I get less knock than on the Cobb tune. Might be different for Stage 1 though as the stock intercooler is pretty prone to heat soak, and that high level of boost is not helping matters. I haven't heard about any failures related to a strat tune, but probably too soon to tell what the long-term implications are. There's always a risk when tuning/modding.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I have a strat tune coming in a couple days.. too bad I am still waiting on my intercooler =( Hopefully I'll get it in a few weeks.

Thank you, Joker328. I do have another question; I'm currently running a stage 2 on my Cobb AP w/ a MAPerformance intake only. I noticed I'm boosting at 21 psi, and my torque topped out at 241 (according to the LTT Torque Final gauge) today. Does this seem abnormal, or am I reaping the benefits of what I've put into my FiST?

- JR

Thank you, Joker328. I do have another question; I'm currently running a stage 2 on my Cobb AP w/ a MAPerformance intake only. I noticed I'm boosting at 21 psi, and my torque topped out at 241 (according to the LTT Torque Final gauge) today. Does this seem abnormal, or am I reaping the benefits of what I've put into my FiST?

- JR
I got my strat tune last week. I was running the cobb stage 3 93 and it maxed out around 23 psi, I loaded the strat tune 93 and was pushing about 26.8 psi. It felt like it was pushing the car to much. I also would smell a burning smell after driving it. It was enough for me to go back to the cobb tune for now. The car felt sooo much more alive and faster but I'm not going to risk it with a 5000 mile car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I got my strat tune last week. I was running the cobb stage 3 93 and it maxed out around 23 psi, I loaded the strat tune 93 and was pushing about 26.8 psi. It felt like it was pushing the car to much. I also would smell a burning smell after driving it. It was enough for me to go back to the cobb tune for now. The car felt sooo much more alive and faster but I'm not going to risk it with a 5000 mile car.
Did you get this burning smell even when driving it easy with the Strat tune loaded?

Did you get this burning smell even when driving it easy with the Strat tune loaded?
Yes that was just with normal driving. Never had that smell before the tune. Thought it might be the crackle tune so I just loaded the strat tune without crackles and I still smelled it. The tune just felt way to aggressive.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Did the smell go away? I noticed a, plastic-ish burning smell (best way I can describe it) driving thru Tulsa once. Never have smelled it since. 60* day, completely stock.

100% Worth it. I was coming to make a thread about it right now, actually. I picked up their tune last week and had the opportunity to do a nice long 800km loop with a buddy in a FoST. He can't keep up now. Drivability is much nicer than the Cobb tune too. I'm quite happy with the purchase.

Did the smell go away? I noticed a, plastic-ish burning smell (best way I can describe it) driving thru Tulsa once. Never have smelled it since. 60* day, completely stock.
Since switching back I have not noticed it. I'm in no way bashing stratified, the car drove completely different and was very fast! I just didn't want to risk it. This is my DD and I'm not racing it so I'm looking for more of a safe tune. I'm not trying to squeeze every bit of power out of the car I want it to be a reliable DD. I think I'm going to try mountunes calibration next

Since switching back I have not noticed it. I'm in no way bashing stratified, the car drove completely different and was very fast! I just didn't want to risk it. This is my DD and I'm not racing it so I'm looking for more of a safe tune. I'm not trying to squeeze every bit of power out of the car I want it to be a reliable DD. I think I'm going to try mountunes calibration next
Do you have any mods?
I have an intake only while running stage two. Cobb has advised me to throw an aftermarket FMIC, but idk if they're trying to sell me. MAPerformance said I'd be fine w/ the intake running a stage 2. Thoughts?