Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fender Flare DIY Install Interest

Hey guys

If you follow my sporadic posts on here, or follow my instagram @reidhoganyeg you'll know I'm getting ready to install my M2 motoring flares in the next two or three weeks. I imagine there would be some interest in a proper DIY guide to installing parts like these that require some extensive vehicle body modification.

Is there any part of the process in particular, or questions that people have that I could make sure to address in the DIY?

Let me know!

Edit: I have my Canadian Red Seal Autobody Technician certification. So this would be covering one of the correct ways to complete the process.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That would be a great tutorial even for those that paid to have such a mod done as not many will be doing the DIY method I would imagine you will be showing, cutting, welding, rust prevention, sealing, etc....a very serious mod than has to be done really well.

Those paying to have this done can then refer to it and make sure theirs is done right because there are many shops doing shoddy work and much of that is in "performance shops" without well trained employees such as your skill level encompasses.

I have done such mods and it is no easy matter to do it well, mine were on race cars I did not intend to be show quality, just get the job done, solid, fit right, expecting to do a bit of rubbing on rare, I hope, occasion so easy to swap flares out, etc....doing this work on a street car is far more serious and I would likely have to pay for the finish work after I did the cutting and pasting of the new metal, fit the flares, etc.

--------------

Thanks for doing this, it will be of great value to anybody wanting a real flare install:)

Rick

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This will be great to see! [twothumb]

But, I would also like to see someone do a real, 'factory works' fully vented WRC BOX flare type conversion, step by step on one of our cars, just to see how much insane labor/fabrication is involved in that undertaking. ;)

OP
B
Thread Starter #4
That would be a great tutorial even for those that paid to have such a mod done as not many will be doing the DIY method I would imagine you will be showing, cutting, welding, rust prevention, sealing, etc....a very serious mod than has to be done really well.

Those paying to have this done can then refer to it and make sure theirs is done right because there are many shops doing shoddy work and much of that is in "performance shops" without well trained employees such as your skill level encompasses.

I have done such mods and it is no easy matter to do it well, mine were on race cars I did not intend to be show quality, just get the job done, solid, fit right, expecting to do a bit of rubbing on rare, I hope, occasion so easy to swap flares out, etc....doing this work on a street car is far more serious and I would likely have to pay for the finish work after I did the cutting and pasting of the new metal, fit the flares, etc.

--------------

Thanks for doing this, it will be of great value to anybody wanting a real flare install:)

Rick

This car is my daily driver and I live in central Alberta. So the install will be for a car that expected to be driven in all types of weather and maintain durability and reliability, while maintaining a "show car" quality. Im also going to be doing this the most affordable way, without doing anything crazy like repainting the factor quarter panels (I have some tricks).

Im going to do the install in sections as well. First will be installing the flares themselves and cutting chop etc, to final product. The second will be more involved in creating a solution to deleting the slash guards to accommodate the wider wheels and flares. (I also have some tricks in mind for this).

Looking online I was surprised by the low number of install guides on something like this, and shocked by the amount of people that have no idea what they are doing and misguiding people *Cough* TJhunt *Cough*

I've "lurked" on various car forums for years and figure its time to share some of my own knowledge and contribute to the community that has taught me a lot about other areas of modification that I lacked experience in.

OP
B
Thread Starter #5

--------------

Rick

This car is my daily driver and I live in central Alberta. So the install will be for a car that expected to be driven in all types of weather and maintain durability and reliability, while maintaining a "show car" quality. Im also going to be doing this the most affordable way, without doing anything crazy like repainting the factor quarter panels (I have some tricks).

Im going to do the install in sections as well. First will be installing the flares themselves and cutting chop etc, to final product. The second will be more involved in creating a solution to deleting the slash guards to accommodate the wider wheels and flares. (I also have some tricks in mind for this).

Looking online I was surprised by the low number of install guides on something like this, and shocked by the amount of people that have no idea what they are doing and misguiding people *Cough* TJhunt *Cough*

I've "lurked" on various car forums for years and figure its time to share some of my own knowledge and contribute to the community that has taught me a lot about other areas of modification that I lacked experience in.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Most Excellent Sir! :):):)

I have no current plans at the moment for flares but will watch and learn from it I am sure!

A part of me is tempted when I have a good place to work again to do flares and run 15x11 wheels with 275 race tires and 15x10 with 245 street tires but that is not likely to happen. I will be more prepared from learning from your shared skills if I ever do flares again, I had to teach myself to weld and got all the way up to designing my own roll cages, dimple die gussets, etc. most other things I can now do pretty well but body work and paint have always been a hard thing for me to get right. I will defer the finish and paint work to others but it would be fun to do the metal work on the flares even better than I have before, I love to learn and become the best I can at whatever I do.

Thanks again:)
Rick