Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Why hasn't anyone gone the route of running a Sadev transmission?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I think it would be more than 10k all in... Differential, axles, a new rear subframe requiring a new rear suspension setup, remove and replace the fuel tank, custom fab exhaust to run the driveshaft, new rear brakes and adapters to mount everything... Will probably need a new ECU because the transmission reports to it (CANBUS)... That's just what I can think of off the top of my head. I imagine there's more to be done.

Pete

Maybe when the car is paid off. But then would I be $15k+ faster?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
The question would be why would you want a Sadev transmission? I had the price list at one time for the MSport R2 and I thought the transmission (remember, still FWD) was around $25k. These things are almost bulletproof and shift very aggressively. It is way more transmission than you would ever need on the street or track. If I had an extra $25k burning a hole in my pocket, a gearbox would not be on my list. As pointed out above, you need the R2 PCM, wiring harness, and a bunch of other parts to get it to work. This isn't the AWD setup that Block has. Tack on another zero to get in the range of the AWD system on the WRC cars.

If you really want a Sadev transmission, there are a number of Fiesta R2's for sale. Not only do you get the transmission, but you get a fully prepped rallye car with it!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If you really want a Sadev transmission, there are a number of Fiesta R2's for sale. Not only do you get the transmission, but you get a fully prepped rally car with it!
Already here in the states, or shipped from overseas? [dunno]

It would be cool to be able to quickly shift sans the clutch, IF it were the least bit 'streetable' (did not clang and bang so much and scream like a 140 db banshee, did not require a full on, racing 'on-off switch' type clutch, did not need rebuilding every 10K miles of even just street driving, etc.), but then it would not be a sequential. [wink] [:(]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Already here in the states, or shipped from overseas? [dunno]

It would be cool to be able to quickly shift sans the clutch, IF it were the least bit 'streetable' (did not clang and bang so much and scream like a 140 db banshee, did not require a full on, racing 'on-off switch' type clutch, did not need rebuilding every 10K miles of even just street driving, etc.), but then it would not be a sequential. [wink] [:(]
I know of at least 2 in the US for sale, and those are just friends that are selling them. I am sure there are many more out there. No doubt a sequential would be bad ass, but I don't see anyone on here spending the same amount on a transmission as the entire car. As Bluedrank said, if I was rich, but I am not sure I'd still be driving a Fiesta ST. I am sure I would still have a Fiesta ST, but it would be the MSport/TON R2 ST that ACP used to win the Rally America championship.

The question would be why would you want a Sadev transmission? I had the price list at one time for the MSport R2 and I thought the transmission (remember, still FWD) was around $25k. These things are almost bulletproof and shift very aggressively. It is way more transmission than you would ever need on the street or track. If I had an extra $25k burning a hole in my pocket, a gearbox would not be on my list. As pointed out above, you need the R2 PCM, wiring harness, and a bunch of other parts to get it to work. This isn't the AWD setup that Block has. Tack on another zero to get in the range of the AWD system on the WRC cars.

If you really want a Sadev transmission, there are a number of Fiesta R2's for sale. Not only do you get the transmission, but you get a fully prepped rallye car with it!
I believe the ~25k you are referring to is the whole r2 parts box, just the gearbox is 4-5k I believe.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I believe the ~25k you are referring to is the whole r2 parts box, just the gearbox is 4-5k I believe.
I believe that was the transmission. The R2 kit was around $180,000. I know to go from a production Fiesta to R2 that is ready to compete is $250,000. That is the Fiesta, R2 package, roll cage, and labor. To build an R1 is half of that. I haven't looked at pricing in a few years and the figures came from Ford Racing, TON, and friends that were competing with the Fiesta in Rally America.

When I was at TON they stated the Sadev was 20K in a R2. I'm not sure why people think these things are bullet proof either, they take one hell of a beating but like many race components rebuilds are needed. So to think oh once it's in it's in, that's not really the case with components like these.

I believe that was the transmission. The R2 kit was around $180,000. I know to go from a production Fiesta to R2 that is ready to compete is $250,000. That is the Fiesta, R2 package, roll cage, and labor. To build an R1 is half of that. I haven't looked at pricing in a few years and the figures came from Ford Racing, TON, and friends that were competing with the Fiesta in Rally America.
Ok maybe I am wrong but I was just repeating what I seen on a price sheet I had for r2 components.
http://rallyrent.eu/site/fileBlock/upload/R2+Conversion+Kit+Retail+-+01-02-2014.pdf
Says gearbox kit is $4500, but that is not very descriptive either.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm not sure why people think these things are bullet proof either, they take one hell of a beating but like many race components rebuilds are needed. So to think oh once it's in it's in, that's not really the case with components like these.
^^^Which is just ONE of the factors that make them 'un-streetable', as stated previously. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
So going by this, my guess is that the M-Sport built, privateer R5s are what, in the $1.5 million to $2 million range, sans spares? [dunno]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
So going by this, my guess is that the M-Sport built, privateer R5s are what, in the $1.5 million to $2 million range, sans spares? [dunno]
To buy a used 2014 WRC Fiesta is around $400,000, so I would expect a new one to be much more than that. I had always heard around $1M for a WRC car. Half that would put the R5 close to $500k and half of that would be the R2 at $250k. Now used, these cars are much more affordable. I believe the GRC/GRX cars are around the $1M mark as well, based on discussions I have had recently.

Interesting, doing a little digging, it appears that the new 1.0L R2 is considerably cheaper than the 1.6L version that came out in 2009. The new one is priced about $70k for the kit. Either way, most of this discussion is silly since none of us are going to take a bucket of cash and dump it into a sequential gearbox.