Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

URGENT: Coolant temp gauge is reading hot when it's completely cold.

FIXED: Coolant temp gauge is reading hot when it's completely cold.

Last night I was driving home and my coolant light turned on. I tried to get off the highway but I was stuck in construction barriers so I couldn't pull over. I had to drive for a while with the heat blowing trying to cool it off but then the check engine light came on and I lost power. I was able to get it off the road and get a tow truck. It was low on coolant so I topped it off. It's been nearly 12 hours now so the engine is completely cold but when I turn it on the coolant temperature gauge still reads as too hot to operate. Is a sensor burnt out? What's going on.

FIXED: It turns out the coolant fan system went out on me. Not really sure what the reason was but the fan stopped working which in turn caused the car to overheat. They didn't explain why it caused the coolant temp gauge to read so hot when it was completely cold but at least she's running now.

Last edited:
what years the car? if its new id be calling your ford dealer and making them do everything under warranty. hows your coolant level?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Would there be leaking if it was that? There is no fluid or anything leaking.
For cars with the affected heads, I recall a mention of the coolant just burning up inside the engine, which means there wouldn't necessarily be visible leaking. [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] gives a helpful explanation at Post #41 here-
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...e-to-fire-risk?p=224967&viewfull=1#post224967

As [MENTION=4809]LaserWhisperer[/MENTION] said above, see if you're affected by the recall, it sure sounds like that to me.

Is there coolant in your radiator and overflow tank? If it's low, the light will illuminate.

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #10
Is there coolant in your radiator and overflow tank? If it's low, the light will illuminate.
It was low, I topped it off hoping I could get it to circulate but no such luck.

unplug the battery, let it sit. see if it will reset the ecu. sounds like it might be staying in limp mode.

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #12
For cars with the affected heads, I recall a mention of the coolant just burning up inside the engine, which means there wouldn't necessarily be visible leaking. [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] gives a helpful explanation at Post #41 here-
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...e-to-fire-risk?p=224967&viewfull=1#post224967

As [MENTION=4809]LaserWhisperer[/MENTION] said above, see if you're affected by the recall, it sure sounds like that to me.
There was no smoke or smell, it just got hot and I lost power when I had to drive on it because I couldn't get off the road.

I'll bring up the recall tomorrow at my appointment... I hope it's just a coolant sensor being burnt out or something.

If your car is under warranty, take it in and tell them what happened. Have them look at it, even if nothing is wrong that you or they notice. Now you at least have a history report of the issue and if the motor ends up taking a crap all the sudden, you have proof that you took it to a dealer and the "recall" issue is more than likely what caused it.