Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Did I cook the brakes already?

First 2 track days this last weekend. The first day I feel I might have been a little hard on the brakes, the second day I tried to be a little easier (I don't know how easy you can really be, I just tried to get off the throttle earlier). Since the weekend my brakes squeal considerably under light, slow speed braking like in a parking lot or an easy slow from say 30-45 at a light. Car only has 2200 miles on it with what I assume are the "comfort" pads I have been hearing about on here. I'm thinking I might have glazed the rotors and/or pads pretty good. Pedal feel is still smooth though. Rotors definitely have some light grooving in them though but nothing I would be alarmed about if they weren't squeaking like crazy. Noise seems to be only in the front which would be logical. If I did toast them already I was looking at the Hawk 5.0 pads and maybe some type of upgraded rotor? I just think it's weird because people seem to be putting down some serious track time on their stock brakes.

Try giving the brakes a good clean, mine were doing the same after a track day and once I gave them a clean the sound went away. You don't have to take them apart just spray some brake cleaner on the calipers and rotors and give them a scrub.

OP
KD718
Thread Starter #3
Try giving the brakes a good clean, mine were doing the same after a track day and once I gave them a clean the sound went away. You don't have to take them apart just spray some brake cleaner on the calipers and rotors and give them a scrub.
I should have the car in the air within the next week so I will try that. Thanks, I would much rather prefer to not buy new pads and rotors for a car with 2000 friggin miles on it.

I used EBC Yellowstuff's on track a few weeks ago and they put some pretty nice grooves in my rotors and now squeak under light breaking. I'll be putting in new rotors and some DTC 30's this weekend to try out on the track in May. My guess is that the pads/rotors got nice and hot and that led to the grooving (and me blowing through the entire pad in 8 25min sessions). I'll be installing some brake ducting before my next event as well which should help with grooving and pad longevity.

Ill be doing exactly this over the weekend. Brakes are squealing badly after the track lol.

My brakes have always had a squeak on light braking. I sound like a cop pulling up everywhere i stop. Lol

OP
KD718
Thread Starter #7
Sprayed them down and gave them a wipe today. So far no squealing but it was sort of it or miss so we'll see how the next couple days play out. Here's what the rotors looked like, not great but not terrible I think my 135 brakes looked worse.

Pics were pre-cleaning. The rear driver has some pad transfer, I guess I put my e brake on after a run:doh: