Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2015 vs 2017 fiesta st

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking to replace my 335i coupe with a fiesta ST (need more doors, bought a house) and I found a 2015 local for a good price. It has recaros and no sunroof which is really hard to find. But I came across some threads about the clutch issues, and I noticed a thread about coolant burning off as well. Should I look at a 2015 year model? Is it known when the clutch issue was resolved as far as build date? This car has 16k miles on it.

Also there is a 2017 brand new somewhat local, with recaros and no sunroof as well, but obviously its $22k or so(the 2015 is around $15k) that's why I was looking at the 2015. Can I tell by the build date whether the clutch will be an issue? Is it worth it to just by the 2017 because of the issues with the 2015's? I had a 2013 STI and went through the 2 month fight with Subaru when my rod bearing went out at 13k miles. It seems like the same story as the trans issues, they deny the claim saying it's abuse, you say it's their fault the car is brand new, etc etc. I had to end up calling SOA execs to have it covered under "goodwill" (meaning they never accepted fault). It was a giant PITA and I do not wish to repeat that crap.

Just looking for some input on how likely the 2015 would be to have clutch issues or other major issues since it is out of bumper to bumper warranty. It's at a ford dealer though, so it should be a CPO car which would help.

This car will be my daily driver.

Thanks,

Ryan

2006ser

I have 15 its been full bolt ons since 30 miles im at 34k now with 0 issues.. and i drive the piss out of it

Don't count on the 2015 being a CPO. I have a 15 ST that I bought last year. It had been owned by Ford and had only 2000 miles. It was not CPO and the dealer could not give me a good reason why not. My car is in the build date range for the coolant problem, but has never overheated and I will now watch the coolant level closely. I've put 10,000 miles on it and the clutch is fine. In my opinion you'll be better off stretching for the 2017, unless you can get the complete service record for the 2015.

Not familiar with any widespread clutch issues. Couple guys have blown them, but considering the user base on the forums, that's not unexpected. Some guys who drag with really high HP cars haven't had clutch problems at all. Maybe think about what your intended use of the car is and what your mod plan is. Also, be sure to test drive it to make sure the clutch feels OK to you. All of these cars shift a bit clunky if you are too quick with the clutch (especially with the stock RMM), but if it feels like it's slipping, you should walk away.

As for the coolant issue, lots of people say their car runs hot, but the actual failure of the head/cooling system is pretty rare and it can be mitigated somewhat by keeping an eye on your coolant. Also, see if you can get the VIN or the build date on the 2015. If it was built after May 2014, you should be fine.

In any case, a price difference of $7K is nothing to sniff at if that is what you are seeing. That difference would certainly cover a lot of repairs you might face from having the car run out of warranty sooner. At the same time, you'll have to start fixing stuff sooner and you'll lose some resale value by going with the 2015. Also, the 2017s have Sync 3, which by most accounts is a significant improvement.

In the end, if you aren't affected by the cooling system recall, I wouldn't worry about going with either. Just decide based on your preferences and financial situation.

Not familiar with any widespread clutch issues. Couple guys have blown them, but considering the user base on the forums, that's not unexpected. Some guys who drag with really high HP cars haven't had clutch problems at all. Maybe think about what your intended use of the car is and what your mod plan is. Also, be sure to test drive it to make sure the clutch feels OK to you. All of these cars shift a bit clunky if you are too quick with the clutch (especially with the stock RMM), but if it feels like it's slipping, you should walk away.

As for the coolant issue, lots of people say their car runs hot, but the actual failure of the head/cooling system is pretty rare and it can be mitigated somewhat by keeping an eye on your coolant. Also, see if you can get the VIN or the build date on the 2015. If it was built after May 2014, you should be fine.

In any case, a price difference of $7K is nothing to sniff at if that is what you are seeing. That difference would certainly cover a lot of repairs you might face from having the car run out of warranty sooner. At the same time, you'll have to start fixing stuff sooner and you'll lose some resale value by going with the 2015. Also, the 2017s have Sync 3, which by most accounts is a significant improvement.

In the end, if you aren't affected by the cooling system recall, I wouldn't worry about going with either. Just decide based on your preferences and financial situation.
Insurance rates will be much cheaper with a 2015. Accessport will work with 2015 ( not yet with 2017). I like the Gray wheels on 2015 's black on 2017. Some exterior color differences between years. 2017 will have the 22mm front sway bar ( better) vs 2015 19mm. And of course sync 2 vs 3.

I'd get the 15 if it was a color I liked and if the car is immaculate. And buy an Accessport and install a 22mm front bar (from a wrecked standard Fiesta) with poly chassis bushings.

Wait, that's what I did!:)

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
Thank you everyone for all the feedback!

I have 15 its been full bolt ons since 30 miles im at 34k now with 0 issues.. and i drive the piss out of it
Thanks for the feedback, that is good news.

Don't count on the 2015 being a CPO. I have a 15 ST that I bought last year. It had been owned by Ford and had only 2000 miles. It was not CPO and the dealer could not give me a good reason why not. My car is in the build date range for the coolant problem, but has never overheated and I will now watch the coolant level closely. I've put 10,000 miles on it and the clutch is fine. In my opinion you'll be better off stretching for the 2017, unless you can get the complete service record for the 2015.
That is very strange to me, I wonder why it's not CPO. I really want to call and try and hunt down the service records for that car. The problem is I don't really like the color, shadow black.

have you tried looking for 2016 models? There may be some out there hanging around.
I have been trying to hunt down a 2016. The only local one is a gray car that is fully loaded, and even after rebates its the same price as the 2017 with no sunroof lol. I do like the gray, but I've had 3 gray cars now. It's not a deal breaker though. The sunroof is more of a problem.

The price difference is around 8k, which has me looking at the 2015. But it just seems really suspicious if the car is not CPO. I'll continue to hunt that down. The other issue is the 2015 is shadow black which I'm really not crazy about. I had a black car for 8 years and it was impossible to keep clean. My 2013 pearl white STI was easier to keep clean, and it still looked good dirty. I really want a platinum white ST. I ended up renting one from a local Budget and it was a base model white 2016. I took it in the N. GA mountains and fell in love with the thing. It was SO much fun on the mountain passes.

As far as mods, I'm thinking springs, brake pads, wheels and tires (200tw), and a lip kit. Eventually I'll do front mount, downpipe with high flow cat, intake and exhaust but I don't know when I'll get around to that. My 335i is a 2008 twin turbo n54 6 speed. I have a clutch type LSD, downpipes, JB4 piggyback, custom dyno tune, m3 suspension and AST coilovers. I promised myself I wouldn't mod the car LOL. Now it has 400whp/430wtq on pump gas and it is a friggin blast. I really do need a hatchback though for house and car stuff (also have an FC project budget racecar with some friends).

Insurance rates will be much cheaper with a 2015. Accessport will work with 2015 ( not yet with 2017). I like the Gray wheels on 2015 's black on 2017. Some exterior color differences between years. 2017 will have the 22mm front sway bar ( better) vs 2015 19mm. And of course sync 2 vs 3.

I'd get the 15 if it was a color I liked and if the car is immaculate. And buy an Accessport and install a 22mm front bar (from a wrecked standard Fiesta) with poly chassis bushings.

Wait, that's what I did!:)
Ah there are some differences between years. Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm going to hold off on an accessport for a few years, I'm worried about warranty claims if anything goes wrong. I know Subaru can tell if a car has been flashed, don't know if Ford bothers to check or if it's an issue they are on top of. I'm not crazy about the black 2015, and I love the white 2017.

This is a thread I started to get input on mechanical changes and improvements through the life cycle of the car, I think you'll find it helpful-

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...hanges-Improvements-to-FiST-Through-the-Years
Thank for you posting that, I just read through it. Sounds like the sync 3 is a big upgrade.

So I think what I'm going to do is find more info on the 2015, and also make an appointment to go see the 2017 Saturday.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Bluedrank

Sync 3 is huge. Especially with the new update. IMO I wouldn't want a 2015 if I could get into a 2016 or 2017 model that had sync 3. 2016 models you'll need to do the upgrade on the car once you buy it, but it's fairly simple and really makes the whole Sync 3 experience top notch.

I regret buying my car new. The 2015 with 16k and recaros that's a real good price. Check the vin for the recall though.
If sync 3 really matters to you I'd say just wait around a bit to see if a 2016 model pops up

J2FoRS

Id trade my 14 for a 17 in a heartbeat if dealers would pay anything for them. However, the main reason, and silly reason I wont, is the 17 has no colours I like. Lol

Thank you everyone for all the feedback!

Thanks for the feedback, that is good news.

That is very strange to me, I wonder why it's not CPO. I really want to call and try and hunt down the service records for that car. The problem is I don't really like the color, shadow black.

I have been trying to hunt down a 2016. The only local one is a gray car that is fully loaded, and even after rebates its the same price as the 2017 with no sunroof lol. I do like the gray, but I've had 3 gray cars now. It's not a deal breaker though. The sunroof is more of a problem.

The price difference is around 8k, which has me looking at the 2015. But it just seems really suspicious if the car is not CPO. I'll continue to hunt that down. The other issue is the 2015 is shadow black which I'm really not crazy about. I had a black car for 8 years and it was impossible to keep clean. My 2013 pearl white STI was easier to keep clean, and it still looked good dirty. I really want a platinum white ST. I ended up renting one from a local Budget and it was a base model white 2016. I took it in the N. GA mountains and fell in love with the thing. It was SO much fun on the mountain passes.

As far as mods, I'm thinking springs, brake pads, wheels and tires (200tw), and a lip kit. Eventually I'll do front mount, downpipe with high flow cat, intake and exhaust but I don't know when I'll get around to that. My 335i is a 2008 twin turbo n54 6 speed. I have a clutch type LSD, downpipes, JB4 piggyback, custom dyno tune, m3 suspension and AST coilovers. I promised myself I wouldn't mod the car LOL. Now it has 400whp/430wtq on pump gas and it is a friggin blast. I really do need a hatchback though for house and car stuff (also have an FC project budget racecar with some friends).

Ah there are some differences between years. Thanks for the info. Yeah I'm going to hold off on an accessport for a few years, I'm worried about warranty claims if anything goes wrong. I know Subaru can tell if a car has been flashed, don't know if Ford bothers to check or if it's an issue they are on top of. I'm not crazy about the black 2015, and I love the white 2017.

Thank for you posting that, I just read through it. Sounds like the sync 3 is a big upgrade.

So I think what I'm going to do is find more info on the 2015, and also make an appointment to go see the 2017 Saturday.

Thanks again,

Ryan
Did you go see the 2017 Saturday?