Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New guy, locked out of my fist

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, newly registered user. First of all, not sure if this is the right spot to post this problem, but I'm sure the mods will move it if need be.
I bought a 2015 fist, new from the dealer. My plan is to wait until the warranty runs out then throw the cobb catalog at it.
Over Easter weekend I'm almost positive I left my keys and fob in the center console. I walked into the house and just grabbed the spare fob to lock it, thinking I'll just get my keys out in the morning. Fast forward to this morning and I'm still using the spare fob thinking I'll just grab the keys when I think about it later. Well, sure enough my spare fob seems to have disappeared. I took my beater to work and spent the evening tearing the house apart, looking for the fob. No go. So now I'm thinking I'll try to jimmy the door open enough to slip a rigid piece of aluminium flat bar (bent to the correct angle) into the car and hit the unlock but on on the dash, jump in, grab my fob and keys, and hit the unlock button to avoid the alarm. I can't try it tonight. It's too late and my neighbors suck. But what if I'm wrong and my fob and keys aren't in the center console? Will the alarm go off for long? Will the dash button even work? I have some important papers for work sitting on the passenger seat and I kind of need them, so I have to get in. I emailed FoMoCo. They said call the dealership. I called the dealership. They said my only option was to have the car towed there and they would have to program TWO new fobs at a cost of $180 a pop. $360 plus towing fees plus tax is not something I want to pay for my stupidity. So, am I screwed? I realize breaking into a car is a slightly taboo issue on these forums, but I'm at my wits end. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just jimmy the door. If your keys aren't in your car just pop the hood and disconnect the battery.

J2FoRS

If the key is in the car...

Hold down the button on the doorhandle for about 5 seconds, lift the doorhandle hold 5 seconds, let go of the button, return doorhandle to normal placement.

Press button again.

If that doesnt work, open the rear hatch instead, its likely unlocked if the key is inside, just grab the release button.

OP
P
Thread Starter #4
No go on all exterior buttons. I wedged the door open a bit and hit the interior lock/unlock button on the dash. Nothing happened. I'm screwed.

WAM

Won't help here, but is there any reason to keep the back-up key in the fob? Why not hide it out under the car, or in your wallet or something.

Hey p, have you called locksmiths, tow companies etc, to see if anyone would make a house call to slim-jim the door lock?

OP
P
Thread Starter #7
No one wants to touch it. They just keep saying call the dealer. Good idea on the key. Hindsight...20/20...Definitely stashing one once I'm out of this situation.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I would try going to the dealer to see if they can cut you a key. Most of the time you just need to show proof of ownership (registration, insurance, etc). It will be cheaper than a fob and should be less than $100.

FocusMike

Call Ford Roadside Assistance and tell them you left your keys in the car. Its a free service as long as your car is still under warranty.
US: 1-800-241-3673
Canada: 1-800-665-2006

When you call, they'll ask for your:
  • Current location
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Vehicle make & model
  • Vehicle color
  • License plate number

https://owner.ford.com/maintenance/roadside-assistance.html

If the alarm goes off after they get the door open then pop the hood and disconnect the battery.

OP
P
Thread Starter #10
I completely forgot about Roadside Assistance. I'm surprised the Ford Rep I chatted with didn't suggest it. I'll give them a call in the morning. Thanks!!

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Odd. If the key is in the car you should be able to open everything. In fact, i'm fairly certain the car shouldn't have locked in the first place. I'll try and lock my key in tonight (with the spare in hand lol)

I had a spare key blade made at a locksmith. I could have taken one out of one of my fobs, but preferred to leave those complete. When I hike, and don't want to take my fob, I leave the fob inside the car and lock the door manually with the key blade from the outside of the car. This will lock the car, even if the fob is inside. The blade is a little hard to turn, since it isn't a full key, but it works fine. I can tuck the blade in my pocket and not have the lump.

OP
P
Thread Starter #13
Take one of your fobs, place it in your jacket pocket and leave it in the middle of your back seat. Then take the spare fob, use it to lock, unlock and drive the car. Then lock the car. Trust me, it'll lock.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Keeping a keystub in my wallet has saved me a few times with the previous car.

Since I never have reason to take the fob out of my pocket, locking it in the car is not a concern in this case.

I have had other items fall out of my pocket and end up underneath the seat before. Given that possibility, perhaps I should start using the external button *only* to lock the vehicle. In such a case where the key fob end up underneath the seat, it won't lock from the outside.

Should the device get lost and all you're left with is the key, you won't be able to start the vehicle.

Also a quote from the manual:

Disabled Keys
Any keys left inside your vehicle interior
when it is locked will be disabled.
You cannot use a disabled key to switch
the ignition on or start the engine.
You must enable all passive keys again in
order to use them.
To enable all your passive keys, unlock your
vehicle using a passive key or the remote
control unlocking function.

All passive keys will then be enabled if you
switch the ignition on or you start your
vehicle with a valid key.

OP
P
Thread Starter #15
I call roadside assistance yesterday. They sent someone out. He used an air bladder and the flexibe pole thing that they always use, hit the interior door handle, it poped open, alarm went off, grabbed my keys and I'm good to go. Still no sign of my spare. He said all Fords will open with the handle, locked or not. Crash safety. Lesson learned on this one.

FocusMike

I call roadside assistance yesterday. They sent someone out. He used an air bladder and the flexibe pole thing that they always use, hit the interior door handle, it poped open, alarm went off, grabbed my keys and I'm good to go. Still no sign of my spare. He said all Fords will open with the handle, locked or not. Crash safety. Lesson learned on this one.
Glad roadside assistance worked for you. Probably a good idea to make a spare now lol.