Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Why do people opt for 15" wheels?

meFiSTo

• tire selection (205/50-15 is, or was, the spec size for Spec Miata)
  • comparatively low price for wheels and tires both (handy when you have multiple wheels that wind up getting abuse at track days)
  • rotational weight
  • added tire volume in a locale featuring very poor road maintenance
  • personal preference for the look of the TD Pro-Race 1.2s in the smaller diameter

(those are actually 15x8s with 225/45-15 tires)

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Lots of reasons to switch to 15". While I like both styles aesthetically...imo, the benefits of a smaller wheel with a higher aspect tire outweigh the looks of a "rubber band" tire.

Performance benefits from the smaller size are immediately noticeable even with a plain and relatively heavy steel wheel when compared to oem but are much more significant when using a light wheel.

The extra "padding" reduces the risk of bending or cracking your wheel when driving over road imperfections while also improving comfort. Personally I like this. Granted I didn't expect it to ride like a limo when I bought it (and it doesn't) but the extra air cushioning definitely smoothes it out. You still feel the bumps and imperfections, it just reduces or eliminates the jarring effect. Side benefit is that other friends and family unaccustomed to sport suspensions are much more comfortable and likely to ride with you afterwards and all WITH a performance boost! But then again I'm kind of biased toward a "sport touring" suspension. A sporty yet comfortable feel.

Possible other benefits but I'll stop there. After all of that, somehow the high aspect seems to look so much better to me now, lol.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #24
Side benefit is that other friends and family unaccustomed to sport suspensions are much more comfortable and likely to ride with you afterwards
That's definitely a con hahaha

I hate passengers, mostly people in my back seat but passengers in general. I'm weird like that.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
That's definitely a con hahaha

I hate passengers, mostly people in my back seat but passengers in general. I'm weird like that.

Hahaha, I get that since I actually do both. Sometimes I like to cruise when it's just me. But I don't think it's still a con if you are the only one benefiting from it...perhaps just less people on that pro list for you, hehe.

lol ditto driving time is my quiet time

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I think he just hates passengers because they complain about his driving so much.
My driving isn't that bad!!! Lol
Yeah hate is a strong word I guess but I really do just enjoy the serenity of drivingby myself!
The Explorer is for taxi service the ST is for relaxation.

As others have said, not only do they look good (fit the car's character) but they drop weight and the biggest advantage is the ability to fit 8 inch wheels and 225 tires. There is numerous resources out there that have quantifiable data concluding that wider wheels are significantly faster for certain tire sizes.

^ thanks [MENTION=4281]SeanBonham[/MENTION] for the hookup, I was meaning to send you some pictures once I got them installed. all I need is a 1in drop and it should look pretty good.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #32
I have just bought H&R Super Sport springs so 16" will be even more of a possibility for me now. I will never get 15" though lol I just can't get over the looks. I understand the benefits but I value aesthetics a lot. It's my daily driver, not my weekend track toy.

OP
Typical Tom
Thread Starter #34

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I saw those. Very tempting for a winter setup! But I still think I'd want a 16" for winter. I'm that stubborn lol

If they're still around in a while I may have to rethink though. But I can't see those not selling very, very soon.
Same here, but they will be identical to my summer setup 1.2s as far as color and spoke pattern goes, and I want something different looking for winter/rally working use, most likely the Sparco Terra 16x7s with a 195/50-16 winter on them, or the Speedline Marmoras in 16x7. ;)

But yes, someone is going to get a (much too good even, to be destroyed in winter use) really GREAT setup, at a 'giveaway' price with Ron's sale.

Waterfan

15 and 16 are objectively better than 17" in every way, largely due to weight savings, except for some loss of turn-in responsiveness due to potentially lower sidewall strength tires. Tire selection is as good or better than 17" and all things equal the tires themselves are significantly cheaper.

15/16 can be subjectively worse from aesthetic point of view. Consensus on this board tends to favor function above form (notwithstanding my own selection-bias), but all preferences are welcome (or at least tolerated :))