Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New intercooler has metal dust inside

DangerMouse

I'm getting everything ready to install my fmic in the morning. I noticed that there is metallic dust inside the openings. I was able to wipe some out with a rag, it is very fine.

Will blowing air be enough to get it all out of is there something else I need to do?

Honestly I am a little annoyed that I need to worry about this with a brand new part.

I wish I would have noticed sooner but it's just been sitting in the box for a few months.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm sure it's from assembly of the intercooler. Get some canned air and blow it out butbdont use a blow gun with shop air.IMO...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #3
I'm sure it is too but thought it would of been cleaned prior to shipping.

Any reason not to use an air compressor? Those little cans of air don't seem strong enough.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's another step the manufacturer will avoid to cut costs to maximize profits.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Air compressor is generating alot more PSI THAN A Turbo.....if you have a turbo that generates 25psi and have a compressor that generates 120psi....its like trying to fit a fat chick into a geo metro.....shits going to possibly bend and flex and may become damaged.....jusy food for thought....ask me about letting a drunk fat chick sit in the back of my Typhoon.....not my fat chick.....a fat chick. Broke my center council off the base. Didn't notice it until it was too late. Very....very....hard to find part I might add......FML. learned my lesson about too much of something in a small situation isn't always a good thing.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
There have been other brands where people also had this happen. Blow it out, install and forget about it. Air compressor should be fine, the end tanks only go so far before it hits the core.

^ yep. Simple green or something and water, garden hose and then stand it on end in the sun for a few hours.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #12
Thanks Pete!

I have the stock piping and intercooler out. I'll rinse and let it dry to tomorrow.

Right now I can't get the tie rod ends to pop out so I can drop this subframe and get the steering rack bushings in.

Edit: steering rack bushings are in.

Intercooler and piping next.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:

Ford Community Posts