Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2fast's Autocross Thread

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
So i've started spraying off my tires between runs with water and it's MUCH BETTER.

We have had a few events since my last post and i've been keeping the streak of top 3 in pax going strong.

It has been around or over 100 here in Utah and i've been noticing the Fiesta get a little hot. It's not fully overheating or giving me a warning sign but i think i'm going to modify the fan shroud to allow more air to pass through. I have a track day at the end of the month that i hope i can keep the car cool during.

Our local track does this thing called Wide Open Wednesday (Utah Motorsports Campus) where for 25 bucks you get to take laps around the track. They cone off the lines so you are forced to slow down which is annoying, but i'll take that for 25$ track laps.

[video=youtube;MVi1UaMVTzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVi1UaMVTzw&t=57s[/video]

Here is from yesterday at our newest venue. It needs some work but it is a really fun mini road course. I was able to take 1st in Pax and 6th in Raw.

[video=youtube;DzsCsZBci1o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzsCsZBci1o[/video]
That's GREAT!! [twothumb]

Is it $25.00 for each single, individual lap, @ the W.O.W. UMC, or do you get multiple laps for that amount?

Is that Global One site an old kart track, or part of an abandoned military base (or whatever)?

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #43
That's GREAT!! [twothumb]

Is it $25.00 for each single, individual lap, @ the W.O.W. UMC, or do you get multiple laps for that amount?

Is that Global One site an old kart track, or part of an abandoned military base (or whatever)?
It is $25 for the night. as many laps as you can get with the amount of people who show up from 5:30 - dusk (8:30-ish)

I think it's a private facility that's used for training security firms and the like.
this. and yea i saw the name business and was thinking to myself i wonder if thats the guy from utah but i thought to myself probably not i'm on a ford forum. Come on out to race!

but i think i'm going to modify the fan shroud to allow more air to pass through. I have a track day at the end of the month that i hope i can keep the car cool during.
Won't be legal for SCCA street class. You may not care now, and your locals may not object. But maybe someday...?

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #45
Won't be legal for SCCA street class. You may not care now, and your locals may not object. But maybe someday...?
this has crossed my mind, but it seems utterly stupid to me to not do it. there is so much being covered up for no reason which doesn't allow air to pass through. I know locals wont care but i'm still on the fence about nationals this year. the other idea i had was creating a mister for the radiator/intercooler with a new pump and the washer reservoir for the track day that i can just remove afterwards

this has crossed my mind, but it seems utterly stupid to me to not do it. there is so much being covered up for no reason which doesn't allow air to pass through. I know locals wont care but i'm still on the fence about nationals this year. the other idea i had was creating a mister for the radiator/intercooler with a new pump and the washer reservoir for the track day that i can just remove afterwards
I haven't looked into it myself, but isn't there also something about a crash bar behind the grill that will block flow even if you open it up?

I think the water spray thing might have merit. I built something like that for an old tow van that was having trouble getting up steep grades in summer. It worked well for as long as you kept it fed. I used a cheapie electric fuel pump, and dried it out when not in use.

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #47
I haven't looked into it myself, but isn't there also something about a crash bar behind the grill that will block flow even if you open it up?

I think the water spray thing might have merit. I built something like that for an old tow van that was having trouble getting up steep grades in summer. It worked well for as long as you kept it fed. I used a cheapie electric fuel pump, and dried it out when not in use.
yea i figured i would just put a button on the steering wheel and press it on the big straights. after seeing how much water helped with tire temps, i would assume it would make a difference out on track

But I'd suggest not trying to reinvent the wheel. If water spray is the answer, the track guys should be all over it. Maybe a little research into various forums and threads will get you a bunch of been-there-done-that's.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It is $25 for the night. as many laps as you can get with the amount of people who show up from 5:30 - dusk (8:30-ish)
That is INSANE!! [driving] [grinking] [thumb]

IF we had a deal like that around here, I would never even consider autocross, since the local region gets $60.00+/event for what, maybe 3 50 second runs? [:(] [thumbdown]

Business6

this. and yea i saw the name business and was thinking to myself i wonder if thats the guy from utah but i thought to myself probably not i'm on a ford forum. Come on out to race!
Haha, I didn't expect to end up here after 13 years of Mazdas :p

I'll be coming up to that event next Sunday for sure but participating is something else entirely considering the last time. Additionally there's almost no chance of me waking up that early, haha.

IF we had a deal like that around here, I would never even consider autocross, since the local region gets $60.00+/event for what, maybe 3 50 second runs? [:(] [thumbdown]
Glad I'm not in your region. The only time we pay $60 is for a restricted entry practice where we get 12-15 runs. Competitions are half that -- and four runs.

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #52

Glad I'm not in your region. The only time we pay $60 is for a restricted entry practice where we get 12-15 runs. Competitions are half that -- and four runs.
yea we are $65 for a weekend, 40 for a single day event.

the $25 runs are awesome. i think i did 6-7 of them that night, it was pretty busy. Sometimes you can get 12-15. The issue for me with ONLY doing that, is i'm a competitive person, and while its super fun, it doesn't satisfy my need for competition....

about the water, you are right, i just really don't want to have to stop all day because of overheating issues on the track, i would rather prepare and have a fun day no worries style. hmm

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #53
So i went to my track day, and i ended up not doing shit about the cooling thing. Luckily it was only 80 degrees out instead of 100 like it has been so that helped. I went out and took it easy for a few laps and re-learned the track, i noticed cooling was good so i started pushing the car and i got caught up in trying to catch a car in front of me. I looked down and noticed the car was hot as shit, so i did a cool down and the session was over.

that gave me a good indication that i could push the car hard for a little bit, but i would need to pay attention to cooling. i would just lift off early on the back end of the straights and it was enough to keep things in check for the most part.

That being said, i had a ton of fun, and it was a challenge keeping the car cool and reeling in a bunch of much more expensive and faster cars.

I was driving on my RE-71r's and my otherwise fully stock FiST. Here is a video of me hunting some Porche's

[video=youtube;qmLpWApHNks]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmLpWApHNks&t=118s[/video]

So I bought the Fiesta ST because i wanted a fun reliable daily that is also capable of winning nationally at Autocross Events. I started racing autocross 4 years ago with my highly modified Mazdaspeed 3 and learned a lot in that car. But because it put me into SMF i had absolutely no chance at winning my class, raw times, nor pax times.

Bring in the little Fiesta....

I bought the car used with 30k on the clock (ford employee lease). It looks practically new. I made sure to get the Recaro's to keep me in place while racing and the color i wanted all for a very reasonable price.

The fiesta does Extremely well in the stock class H Street, so not many mods can be done. I looked at this as a good thing for me to keep me from spending money and making the car into the mazda again.... All my money is going into wheels and tires for racing. Then the plan is to just drive the shit out of it.

I had barely enough time to drive the car home before the next event, so i just raced it with whatever shit tires and alignment it came with. I had a ton of fun, did halfway decent, and got to learn the car right away.

View attachment 14322

Now to get serious. I bought some Sparco Asseto Gara's because OZ was out of stock for another month. OZ makes Sparco wheels so they are still great wheels, just slightly heavier. Still, i'm dropping about 6lbs a corner and have that sticky sticky rubber of the Bridgestone Potenza Re71R in 205/50/16.

View attachment 14324

Now back to racing...

View attachment 14323
View attachment 14325

Results from this weekend. Much better.

View attachment 14326 View attachment 14327

I really enjoyed the car. I got the front aligned to just a tin bit of toe in. the rear is all fucked from not having adjustment back there. I might try and unbolt everything, get it more square and bolt it back up. Regardless in stock form the car is very neutral feeling, easy to point it where you want, and plenty quick with it's little turbo. I hope to keep improving my driving, getting to top Pax regionally then trying out a National Event at some point this season.

View attachment 14329
I'm about to take mine in for its first AutoX alignment. Do you know how much toe in you got? What cambers did you end up with?

OP
2fast
Thread Starter #55
I'm about to take mine in for its first AutoX alignment. Do you know how much toe in you got? What cambers did you end up with?
i just moved the camber adjustment before i got the alignment. you can only get as much as there is wiggle room so it doesn't even matter what the number is, just get everything you can.

i set my toe to: smallest amount of toe in. i drive it everyday so i didn't want to do anything super aggressive like toe out. i almost went zero toe but i thought it might not be worth the tire wear when you factor in loading

GAbOS

Nice updates, 2fast! Can I make a suggestion or two? hehe

Those humps on the inside of your steering wheel actually have a use (two really). If you position your hands lower and make sure your thumbs are in them, you have more leverage with your off hand in corners. Your left thumb in right hand corners and visa versa. Most pro drivers will tell you they race with their thumbs more than the rest of their hand. Look at any racing wheel without an airbag. (the second reason is airbags. If they ever do deploy, your hands and arms are better off at 9-3)

My second suggestion comes from the first. It allows you to loosen up your grip. Loose grips are better for racing. You feel the car more and let it be smooth. Your suspension is doing a lot of work for you. No need to force it and wear the car (tires mostly) and you out at the same time.

Hope it helps and sheds some light on certain designs. A lot of people are unaware.

i just moved the camber adjustment before i got the alignment. you can only get as much as there is wiggle room so it doesn't even matter what the number is, just get everything you can.

i set my toe to: smallest amount of toe in. i drive it everyday so i didn't want to do anything super aggressive like toe out. i almost went zero toe but i thought it might not be worth the tire wear when you factor in loading
I've seen one other HS racer on here saying he was toe out up to 3/8" so I'm a little confused on what a safe toe setting is.

What exactly do you mean by loading? My alignment guy suggested even toe and I'm still trying to figure out what to go with if it's gonna be my daily driver. I need to educate myself a little further on the topic apparently but if anyone can explain toe settings specific to fwd I'd love that :)

GAbOS

I've seen one other HS racer on here saying he was toe out up to 3/8" so I'm a little confused on what a safe toe setting is.

What exactly do you mean by loading? My alignment guy suggested even toe and I'm still trying to figure out what to go with if it's gonna be my daily driver. I need to educate myself a little further on the topic apparently but if anyone can explain toe settings specific to fwd I'd love that :)
Toe out is the front wheels making a v shape when looking top down on the car with the engine up top. In auto X, they run eXtreme, and I'm not kidding. This will greatly improve your turn in. But it wear the shit out of your tires and make it hard to keep straight on daily drives.

Toe out is the front wheels making a v shape when looking top down on the car with the engine up top. In auto X, they run eXtreme, and I'm not kidding. This will greatly improve your turn in. But it wear the shit out of your tires and make it hard to keep straight on daily drives.
Thanks, it seems most AutoXers are going with a tiny toe out but I've seen one or two going with toe in. Why would one go with toe in?