Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Upgraded Radiator vs Oil Cooler for track days? Which one should I buy first?

I tracked my car last month and saw it go into limp mode within 5 minutes (about 4 laps of the local racetrack). Happened again in the 2nd session about 45 minutes later but this time it only took 4 minutes (3 laps). This was in 88F ambient temperature and I assume my coolant reached 250F when it went limp (don't have an AP so can't monitor temps).

I have enough money to buy an upgraded direct fit Radiator OR an Oil Cooler but not enough for both. Which one do you guys think I should buy first? I really don't know which of the two is more effective, I keep reading mixed answers about it.

Normal ambient temps here are 85F-95F and I already have an intercooler installed if that helps the decision. Otherwise completely stock powertrain.

OP
K
Thread Starter #3
Wow so the radiator was effective enough for you to not need the oil cooler at all? Have you compared oil cooler alone vs your radiator alone on a track?

I know my first problem was coolant temp, but it was such a frustrating problem that I slapped on the rad, oil cooler, and opened up the front end (Deadhook crash bar, and opened up the grill fully) so that I would never get left in the pits cooling down again. If I had only had money for one Id have done the radiator first though because coolant temp was the initial issue, and the Mishimoto rad I bought was at least twice as big as the stock one which was paper thin.

I just installed both since I am about to hit my first track day in the FiST and although only anecdotal, if I could have done only one, the radiator would definitely have been it. The stock radiator is tiny compared to the Mishimoto and although I am not a fan of the stock coolant/oil cooler setup, I would assume the better radiator (cooler coolant temps) will help the stock oil cooler also work a bit better.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Not trying to hijack the thread but any particular reason you removed the oil cooler?
1. the oil cooler only delayed the eventual high temp when the car is pushed.
2. the lines even though wrapped made contact with one of the AC lines, no way around it with this kit. When I removed it I saw that the steel braided line was beginning to wear through the wrap. I caught it in time. Another member was unfortunate and had to go to the dealer to replace his hard AC line because a hole wore through and released the freon.

with the radiator I don't worry about interference or longevity issues, though quality with attention to details could be better, the radiator drops right in and does the job better than the oil cooler IMO. the only downside is it's huge and weighs more taking in approximately and extra gallon of coolant and prevents the use of some aftermarket cold charge pipes and intake manifold spacers.

1. the oil cooler only delayed the eventual high temp when the car is pushed.
2. the lines even though wrapped made contact with one of the AC lines, no way around it with this kit. When I removed it I saw that the steel braided line was beginning to wear through the wrap. I caught it in time. Another member was unfortunate and had to go to the dealer to replace his hard AC line because a hole wore through and released the freon.

with the radiator I don't worry about interference or longevity issues, though quality with attention to details could be better, the radiator drops right in and does the job better than the oil cooler IMO. the only downside is it's huge and weighs more taking in approximately and extra gallon of coolant and prevents the use of some aftermarket cold charge pipes and intake manifold spacers.
Thanks for the info! I installed both and saw where the oil cooler lines come close to the A/C hard line (I used part of a Mishimoto kit and some other parts I already had) so I completely understand. Luckily the radiator didn't affect the install of my charge pipes and although the weight is extra, definitely worth if vs. stock :)

I didnt actually weigh the stock or upgraded rad, but just holding them I would say the Mishimoto one, though larger, weighed less. It does require more coolant, but youre not talking about a significant amount of weight. Ill take a cool car all day if it cost me a few pounds. I dont have the problem with the oil cooler lines rubbing on the a/c lines, but they are certainly in close proximity.

koozy

3000 Post Club
the mishimoto radiator definitely weighs more than the OE radiator (~1.5 gallon capacity) with it's plastic end tanks. the larger Mishmoto radiator (2.39 gallon capacity) ads roughly an extra gallon ~9lbs in addition to the extra weight brought on with the aluminum core and end tanks.

for reference in case anyone is wondering, here are the lines as I had them on the car, basically leaning on the AC lines on both sides. Vibrations and the motor moving under and off acceleration exacerbates the situation.

Last edited:
Must have been my imagination (and a bit of hope), but yeah apparently the stock rad weighs 9.8 lbs and the Mishimoto weighs in at 20 lbs according to Amazon. The oil cooler weighs in at 9.8 lbs according to Amazon as well. So Id say Im +30 lbs or so with the cooling mods. I negated some of that with the Deadhook crash bar which is 12 lbs lighter than the stock bar. So an 18 lb increase isnt too much considering how bad my vehicle was overheating...

Woods247

2000 Post Club
[MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] thanks for pointing out the Mishimoto Oil Cooler fail. Just saved me $$$. I had issues with their AN fittings on my WRX. They constantly required tightening.

OP, I run the Mishimoto radiator as well and my car is tracked often. Like most of us, it alone solved my overheating issues on track.

OP
K
Thread Starter #13
Thanks so much for the info guys I've decided to go the radiator route. :)

OP
K
Thread Starter #14
If you're considering a radiator upgrade for the FiST check out Mountune's new Triple Pass Radiator made by CSF. I'll be installing that one and testing it on the track next month.

I just finished a track night on the Charlotte motor speedway Roval after installing my mishimoto radiator and shroud... the car ran flawlessly and the highest coolant temp I saw 211.8 and that was only momentarily. Average was probably 204. Ambient temp was 90 degrees. Before the install I did the limp mode thing several times, even on the street, if it was over 84 degrees. Install was really easy with a helper also and the quality was pretty good too. I'm completely satisfied with my purchase and subsequent experience with the car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I just finished a track night on the Charlotte motor speedway Roval after installing my mishimoto radiator and shroud... the car ran flawlessly and the highest coolant temp I saw 211.8 and that was only momentarily. Average was probably 204. Ambient temp was 90 degrees. Before the install I did the limp mode thing several times, even on the street, if it was over 84 degrees. Install was really easy with a helper also and the quality was pretty good too. I'm completely satisfied with my purchase and subsequent experience with the car.
What's the lap distance of that course, and just how much of the oval do they use?

Its 2.4 miles and you use pretty much the entire oval... Turn 1 is just past start finish and the infield turns out on to the oval(turn 8) just before NASCAR turn 1/2...

I did both at the same time (mishimoto). If I had to do it all over again I'd just do the radiator and not the oil cooler. I have friends that have just the radiator and my oil temp numbers on a track are only 10-20 degree cooler. Imho it wasn't worth the $$$.

Since the factory oil cooler is water cooled, and shares the same circuit with the radiator. Just go with the radiator (which you are) Lower water temp will affect the oil temp.

codestp202

I have the mishi rad and an oil cooler I made the kit for. I personally would need both. My oil gets up to around 225-235 in a 25 min session and the coolant hovers around 215 (75% water, water wetter, 25% coolant). I don't think the rad/stock oil cooler would be up to the task. I also don't know how hard everyone is pushing their cars and what power levels they are making.

At thunderhill it can get up to 105/107 outside, and I still stay cool enough. I think it's a good idea to have both if you are actually really fast on track.