Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

B14 Bilsteins instal question

So,

I'm getting ready to install the B14's. I'm in the process of doing a little research to make sure I actually improve my handling and not make it worse. I have been talking to a few guys in the local car groups I'm in and one of them mentioned something I have never heard of. I was told, after installing the B14s, I need to not only get an alignment, but also get them level/balanced.

Is that even a thing with the B14's? do I really need to find someone capable of completing that task for me?

If not, I'm assuming the install is pretty straight forward and I just need to bolt in, set my ride height, and than get an alignment.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Yes to all points. Any coil over requires adjustment to have the ride height and comfort (stiffness is adjustable is some). The height and stiffness you should be able the easily handle yourself and most time the stiffness is set to when the MFG feels its optimum out of the box. The instructions on adjustments should be on the MFG website or in the instructions. The B14 are multi vehicle support so it may not be tuned to the ST. THe point is adjusting it to your liking and driving style.

Now if you are lowering the car (including lowering springs) you should get a 4 wheel alignment done after a few weeks of use which allows everything to settle. This will provide the best comfort and allow the tyres to have proper contact and angle to the road. Some have skipped this step and been okay but that depends on how much of a change to the height and if the car had proper alignment to start with. For the cost and time it takes to get the alignment I recommend it, just for peice of mind and better control on the car at all speeds.

Hope this helps.

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
Yes to all points. Any coil over requires adjustment to have the ride height and comfort (stiffness is adjustable is some). The height and stiffness you should be able the easily handle yourself and most time the stiffness is set to when the MFG feels its optimum out of the box. The instructions on adjustments should be on the MFG website or in the instructions. The B14 are multi vehicle support so it may not be tuned to the ST. THe point is adjusting it to your liking and driving style.

Now if you are lowering the car (including lowering springs) you should get a 4 wheel alignment done after a few weeks of use which allows everything to settle. This will provide the best comfort and allow the tyres to have proper contact and angle to the road. Some have skipped this step and been okay but that depends on how much of a change to the height and if the car had proper alignment to start with. For the cost and time it takes to get the alignment I recommend it, just for peice of mind and better control on the car at all speeds.

Hope this helps.
Thank you!

So from what I'm gathering, I definitely need to get an alignment. But... I need to wait 3 weeks for the B14 Coilovers to settle before the alignment?
What about this levels/balancing thing?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
The level balancing is as I stated. You need to set up the car to have the height you want (level) and the stiffness you want (balance). Some with get it professionally done to have the best turn in or best road course etc. Is this required? No. But you should make sure the left and right height is the same and that the back have the same stiffness to each other and have the front with its own stiffnes matching each other. All this is diy capable and your butt will be your gauge to see it is correct.

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
The level balancing is as I stated. You need to set up the car to have the height you want (level) and the stiffness you want (balance). Some with get it professionally done to have the best turn in or best road course etc. Is this required? No. But you should make sure the left and right height is the same and that the back have the same stiffness to each other and have the front with its own stiffnes matching each other. All this is diy capable and your butt will be your gauge to see it is correct.
aaaaaaahhhhhh... now I understand. Thank you!

OP
C
Thread Starter #11
I don't think there is any adjustment for camber or caster but I could be and probably am wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm 90% sure no camber or caster can be adjusted. The more I look at them the more it just seems like an upgrade of the stock hardware with the ability to raise or lower the fronts

You absolutely need to align it... But you can level it yourself pretty easily

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk