Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tail of the Dragon

So, I'm here in Knoxville atm, realized I am an hour and a half from the tail of the Dragon.

Anyone wanna meet up there tomorrow? I know this is short notice but I'm always terrible at planning anyways. I've been wantin to drive the tail for years and never realized that my wife's, sister and family were so close.

I don't really have a certain time, all I know is I will be visiting it tomorrow. I'm thinking early morning. If no one can make it I understand and I'll just post solo pics once I'm back home.

Damn, now I wish I brought my real camera instead of just using my phone.

Pm me if you think you might make it and I'll give you my cell number.

Last edited:
OP

Thread Starter #2

Had an absolute blast at deals gap today. I will be going back everytime I'm in Knoxville. If you like driving your fist to its limits, or as far as you feel safe, this is the best place to go with out visiting a track. I have never connected with my Fiesta in such a way. It was amazing!!

OP

Thread Starter #3
More pictures will come once 129slayer.Com uploads their pictures for today.

Also a good place to go just to look at others enjoying the curves of 129

joesiris

11 miles of curves, holy cow...since reading this post ive been researching this stretch of road and its amazing, I gotta plan a trip here one day. I mapped it to great smokey mountains national park for reference and its just over 4 hours. looks like a lot to do up that way

OP

Thread Starter #5
11 miles of curves, holy cow...since reading this post ive been researching this stretch of road and its amazing, I gotta plan a trip here one day. I mapped it to great smokey mountains national park for reference and its just over 4 hours. looks like a lot to do up that way
I've known of it for years, today was my first dragon ride. It will not be my last. I enjoyed it so much that I want to drive back down there right now lol

V_2

Good stuff. I went there for the first time in October but the roads were pretty wet. Plus: light traffic and great scenery. Negative: some curves were sketchy from wet tarmac covered in leaves. Post a shoutout next time you plan to go and I'll see if I can make the trip. I busted the gopro out when I went.

OP

Thread Starter #8
Next time I'll give a longer heads up for sure. Idk if it will be in 2017 or not. I knew about this trip since February but I did not realize how close Knoxville is until Saturday. Last time I came to Knoxville I was in f250 turbo diesel and not in a deals gap worthy vehicle.

joesiris

the official tail of the dragon website has an events planner tab, theres an ecoboost weekend (sept 22-24) but the link they offer for it goes to another forum that is all about the 2015 event, so if anyone finds a link to a current event page let me know...ive been dying to find an st event on the east coast...the westies seem to get all the events

OP

Thread Starter #10
Make one, find a weekend and get people to start booking rooms and such. Fall time is bad for 2 reasons, leaves dying and falling onto the road and site seers looking at the leaves dying (pretty colors)

Just my 2 cents

joesiris

yeah that's what I heard (the leaves) I'm actually trying to convince my wife that we need to weekend up there soon, shes not sold though, especially with the vacation we have planned to new York city...I may have to sneak away on my own (evil chuckle) id definitely want to go up and just cruise it once or twice before giving it a good go...and before being part of a big event like the one in September.

OP

Thread Starter #12
Honestly if you get there early than there's like no traffic, just make sure to use the pull over spots if someone is on your tail, I had to do that once, wrx was on my ass the first time through.

joesiris

yeah the website (on the how to drive the dragon section) said to do the same, it also said no sightseeing, which I found kinda funny, but the point was to focus on the driving...it also said that the busy times are from 11am to 5pm, so when I go ill look at that event calendar and make sure to go when no events are going on and maybe during the week...im super hyped I wanna go really bad, my wife not so much. Couple months ago I searched for nearby curvy roads and found one leading up a mountain to ceasers head state park. it was a great ride, but only a couple of miles. almost made my oldest son crap himself, but it was the first time I got to put the FiST to the test, it was a nice 2 hour drive from here but well worth it. Still doesn't compare to what I see of the dragon tho

TougeFest happens every Fall (first weekend in November). It's incredible that time of year. The leaves mostly gone, so the sight-lines are better. The Harley riders and other "slayers" have packed it in for the year. And, there are far fewer cops and other traffic. It's a great environment, and many like-minded people. Here's a run in my supercharged Miata this past November:

[video=youtube;eUEtpr-4i6E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUEtpr-4i6E&t=81s[/video]

joesiris

thanks for that video, very inspiring, makes me want go even more now...just curious ive been looking into dash cams lately, what did you use to record that video?

thanks for that video, very inspiring, makes me want go even more now...just curious ive been looking into dash cams lately, what did you use to record that video?
I use a GoPro on a Fat Gecko dual suction cup mount.

OP

Thread Starter #17
I'M GOING BACK THIS WEEKEND!!! I'm really excited. Probably sunday morning. Msg me on here or pm if you wanna meet up and ride the dragon.

This year will be my 12th year going with a group of guys/girls from all over the country and some crazy Canadians. The group is based out from a Civic Si forum but at this point its just the "regulars" and a couple new people here and there, with all different types of cars attending. One year we had about 30-40 cars.....always a great time.

This will be my first year in the FiST(since I just recently bought it) and should be a blast. I will be up that way from Sept 28-Oct 1 if anyone wants to tag along.

I thought about heading down this weekend. With a total solar eclipse on Monday, the Dragon is located directly in the path of totality.

-Rob