Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Summer Tire Recommendation Request, 16x7 42mm Offset, 205/50 or?

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hello All,

I am looking for summer tires for daily driving and autocross to fit the new 16x7 Sparco Assetto wheels I just purchased (42mm offset). I am looking for tires that fit the following criteria:

1) Use as daily driver in dry/wet conditions and also for occasional autocrossing
2) Looking for good grip and decent mileage (do not need ultimate grip)
3) Summer only (I will be running a dedicated winter wheel/tire setup)
4) Hoping for >10K mileage out of the set
5) 16x7 wheel
6) < $150 /tire

I think that I would prefer a 205/50R16 due to the added sidewall versus a 205/45R16 but would be open to getting thoughts on both sizes. The roads aren't the best here in PA and I am hoping to make the ride a bit more forgiving without sacrificing the exceptional turn in of this car.

I am also curious what width I can run given stock ride height. I am eyeing the BFGoodrich G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2 in 205/50R16 but they are 8.3" wide mounted per tire rack.

Source:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...R6GFSPC2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Will a tire that 3/4" wider than stock still fit?

I appreciate any thoughts you guys may have!

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
Solort is spot-on

The new Indy 500, one of the few tires I haven't driven, is getting great reviews. I have seen people autocross them. Outside of the 2 or 3 most popular extreme summer tires, these hold their own. A great tire and an excellent value, no question.

Siestarider

I liked the 205/45/16 BFG SC2, got about 10 track days and 10K street miles out of them, they heat cycled out before hitting wear bars.

I replaced those with BFG Rivals and got about 1/2 the mileage and tracking (or less) for about 2 seconds quicker time at a 1;40/lap track. Not as good as SC in rain, but noisier.

Currently running 205/40/17 BFG SC2 on street, only complaint is they are getting noisy at speed.

I really like what I have read about the Firestones, will likely try those for next street tire.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Indy 500 tread pattern seems MUCH more conducive to autocross use, DESPITE having over an inch narrower tread WIDTH than the SC2s in the 205/50-16 size (seems like it would 'chunk' less, and those bigger outside shoulder blocks will grip better at the limits).

The SC2's tread pattern does seem like it would be better in heavy rains/standing water, but it's wider width does take a little of that wet weather advantage away.

On a 7" wide wheel, the Indy 500 would probably be a better match with it's 7.1" tread width. ;)

The Firehawk Indy 500's are definitely the best bang for your buck in the summer tire market right now and they'll be my choice when I kill the stockers. I was at a HPDE a few weeks ago where Bridgestone came out and had a tent with tire changing and a few demo tires. One of them was the Indy 500 and the words out of the guy from Bridestone was "yeah, the Indy 500's are just Potenza's labeled differently for the US market". You essentially get a very reputable sports tire without the name brand mark up. It's a win win with the Indy 500's.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF they made it in a 215/40-17, this tire would've been going on my wheels instead of the RS-RRs. [wink]

Last edited:
OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #9
OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
Car and Driver June 2017 Tire Rack ad page 079...
Thank you! I think I'll go for those given they will be $270 for a set on tirerack in a few days.. My local shop wants $100 to install them, may need to look around for a cheaper option..

EDIT: Looks like Pepboys will mount and balance 4 tires for $51 including PA sales tax. Not bad, just have to install the new TPMS myself..

As you may have gathered from the above responses, the SC-2s run wide, and the Indy 500s run narrow, but both will fit your wheel and both will do the job you are looking for them to do. That said, the Indy 500 is by most accounts the better tire, with less tread noise and better grip (especially in the wet), though it sacrifices a bit of feedback at the limit. If you are serious about auto-x/racing though, you will know/learn there are more important sources of feedback than your tires though.

Waterfan

Currently on 205/45-16 BFG SC2. Amazing budget performance tire, wet and dry, for the price. Fits 16x7 perfectly*. They are noisier than an all-season, but not annoyingly so. For the price they almost cannot be beat.

However...

In <5k miles when my SC2s hit the wear bars, I will be switching to 205/45-16 Firestone Indy 500** which sounds even more amazing for the same pricepoint (~$85, much better tread pattern, 2 lbs lighter).

*ET40, stock suspension.
**released mid-2016, after I got my SC2s early last year.

Thank you! I think I'll go for those given they will be $270 for a set on tirerack in a few days.. My local shop wants $100 to install them, may need to look around for a cheaper option..

EDIT: Looks like Pepboys will mount and balance 4 tires for $51 including PA sales tax. Not bad, just have to install the new TPMS myself..
That seems like a fair mount/balance price. Make sure to give us some feedback on the new tires after you thrash them some...

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #17
Currently on 205/45-16 BFG SC2. Amazing budget performance tire, wet and dry, for the price. Fits 16x7 perfectly*. They are noisier than an all-season, but not annoyingly so. For the price they almost cannot be beat.

However...

In <5k miles when my SC2s hit the wear bars, I will be switching to 205/45-16 Firestone Indy 500** which sounds even more amazing for the same pricepoint (~$85, much better tread pattern, 2 lbs lighter).

*ET40, stock suspension.
**released mid-2016, after I got my SC2s early last year.
How many miles did you get out of the BFG? It sounds like I am going to try the Firestone first after their rebate goes live on Thursday.

Waterfan

How many miles did you get out of the BFG? It sounds like I am going to try the Firestone first after their rebate goes live on Thursday.
12k mi and still counting, still plenty of grip, still not to the wear bars/estimate 2-3k more miles easily. (60/30/10%, hwy/city/spirited-canyon-run. ZERO track usage.)

Would buy SC2 again without hesitation* if FH Indy 500s were not available

*not because they are the best, but because they are excellent for the price point. Money-no-object choice is RE071R, IMO.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #19
12k mi and still counting, still plenty of grip, still not to the wear bars/estimate 2-3k more miles easily. (60/30/10%, hwy/city/spirited-canyon-run. ZERO track usage.)

Would buy SC2 again without hesitation* if FH Indy 500s were not available

*not because they are the best, but because they are excellent for the price point. Money-no-object choice is RE071R, IMO.
Thank you, this is super helpful. Assuming this rebate is announced tomorrow I am going to scoop up some Firestone's this weekend and get them mounted.

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #20
Ordered! For anyone interested, the rebate went live today for the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Going to pickup from Tire Rack in Delaware on Saturday and get them mounted. I'll update this thread with photos once it's all done.