Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Go-to setup for slightly more compliant ride?

I owned an ST until about a year ago, and I find I miss it quite a bit, so that I'm thinking about picking one up again. One thing that got to me after a while was that as a daily driver (which is all I use it for), it was a little too firm/crashy on the bad roads around here. I did run 15" wheels with snow tires in the winter, but I honestly didn't notice the smaller wheels make a big difference.

So if I get back into one, is there a generally recommended route that would ease up the ride a little bit? I don't want to lose all the sharp handling. But if stock is 10/10, maybe back it down to 8 or 9/10?

Just a little overwhelmed with all the options. I see Koni str.t, or coilovers set to softest setting, have been recommended. I would be more of a install it and forget it kind of person.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I owned an ST until about a year ago, and I find I miss it quite a bit, so that I'm thinking about picking one up again. One thing that got to me after a while was that as a daily driver (which is all I use it for), it was a little too firm/crashy on the bad roads around here. I did run 15" wheels with snow tires in the winter, but I honestly didn't notice the smaller wheels make a big difference.

So if I get back into one, is there a generally recommended route that would ease up the ride a little bit? I don't want to lose all the sharp handling. But if stock is 10/10, maybe back it down to 8 or 9/10?

Just a little overwhelmed with all the options. I see Koni str.t, or coilovers set to softest setting, have been recommended. I would be more of a install it and forget it kind of person.
Just curious, what size tires did you use on the 15s?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I have a 16. If the earlier years were even more stiff that really is something. I think the stock suspension has way too much rebound. It is punishing on less than
smooth roads.
I have found the extreme compression of the dampers to be the biggest issue. People have switched to Koni or Bilstein dampers and found the softer compression to make a huge difference in the ride...

KKaWing

The Bilstein B6 on stock springs is awesome. The dampers soak up the initial shock then follows the road.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
The Ford Racing Fiesta lowering kit is actually pretty good and cheap. I ran it on my 2011 Fiesta and was very happy with it. The ride height was about the same as the ST, but the springs were a lower rate and the dampers were matched accordingly. I was able to drive the ST and my 2011 Fiesta back to back for 6 months and could really get an idea how the suspensions compared. Both were on 17" wheels and tires, so that took out that variable.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have a 16. If the earlier years were even more stiff that really is something. I think the stock suspension has way too much rebound. It is punishing on less than
smooth roads.
I would agree with what you said about the earlier years. I have not found my '16 way too stiff, maybe just a little bit, and I don't like overly harsh riding cars. I'll take the amount of stiffness mine has as a tradeoff for the extremely nimble handling, I think at this point they've balanced it pretty well.

I have found the extreme compression of the dampers to be the biggest issue. People have switched to Koni or Bilstein dampers and found the softer compression to make a huge difference in the ride...
I have Koni Sports and have found them to be much more compliant than the stock dampers. They are softer in compression and adjustable in rebound. Set them at 3/4 turn from full stiff front and rear and you'll have a very compliant street setup.

OP
A
Thread Starter #13
Thanks for all the input so far. I drove a '16 today, and I'd say it seemed pretty much the same ride as earlier years.

Just an observation. Temperatures in my area have finally started to warm up. I have noted that the ride is more compliant when the temp is 70 f and up. Going to guess it's the stock Bridgestone's. Not only do the road impacts seem more 'round' but the grip level is up. Still going to make some suspension changes.

Waterfan

OEM dampers are the major culprit to ride harshness. Especially the rears. As you noted, larger aspect ratio tires do help (45 or 50 series, etc. vs. 40) and the type of tire will help with comfort as well (all-seasons will be more comfortable than performance tires - and snow tires too, probably).

Waterfan

Just an observation. Temperatures in my area have finally started to warm up. I have noted that the ride is more compliant when the temp is 70 f and up. Going to guess it's the stock Bridgestone's. Not only do the road impacts seem more 'round' but the grip level is up. Still going to make some suspension changes.
Stock Bridgestones "hate" temps lower than 50F, IMO. Noticeably less grip in cool temps and slightly harsher ride. I ran lower psi in cool temps so they would heat up faster (from ~40 to ~35)

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Stock Bridgestones "hate" temps lower than 50F, IMO. Noticeably less grip in cool temps and slightly harsher ride. I ran lower psi in cool temps so they would heat up faster (from ~40 to ~35)
Just curious, how much psi do you drop yours for colder temps?

Edit: Don't mind me I was really tired when I posted this and for some reason thought the numbers in parenthesis were degrees Fahrenheit, lol

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
For craters, potholes and skillets, wider tires help. 215/45/R17 Continental
Suspension also seems to improve over time.
The roads are pretty bad, more especially during the Winter/Spring transition and have bottomed-out the front suspension twice in 14k.

Koni STR.Ts or Bilstein B6s are apparently the cure on stock springs.

KKaWing

B6 w/ '15 OEM springs ('17s went softer). The only major body movement is the double dip "squat" right before the left hander. Not sure how it translates in video but here ya go anyways.

[video=youtube;f3xbFtVnzls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3xbFtVnzls[/video]