Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync is Dead

The entire stereo is dead, no power. Can't even eject my cd in the stereo. The screen, dash controls, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, nothing works.

I can still turn on sport mode but I can not turn off esc.

Tried hard rest by having + connection off battery for 30 min.

Driving back roads home on a warm day 95 outside, unit under windshield must have been 120. Music stopped, thought I lost fm connection. When it did not comeback on I looked at the screen. And it was completely black...

Any ideas?

OP
R
Thread Starter #2
Car is under 2 years old all stock with almost 43k miles on it. Which means no warranty.

OP
R
Thread Starter #3
Any ideas. Ford, multiple dealers are saying $150 just diagnose it. Even with the g95 gsb.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
If you feel comfortable tearing apart the dash you can look and make sure all the connections are still solid. There are some threads on adding a backup camera which might help in getting to the wiring. Also check your fuses.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Have you checked the fuse behind the glove box? Check Fuse #10 and #24

OP
R
Thread Starter #6
Fuses are next. Though 3 services managers have not seen it before on a car this young.
Either bad connection or LCD/unit is fried and that cuts all power to stereo.

Thanks

Has no one else experienced this? I can't be the first.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I have not read of any. If not the fuse, taking the cowl from the unit is super easy (six clips and it pops off) use a trim tool. I could be the harness is unplugged (there is a locking mechanism but could be unhooked). Another thing to try is remove any USB device connected and the NAV SD if you have

antarctica24

Fuses are next. Though 3 services managers have not seen it before on a car this young.
Either bad connection or LCD/unit is fried and that cuts all power to stereo.

Thanks

Has no one else experienced this? I can't be the first.
Yeah, I second that, you lost all power to the radio, this is either a fuse, or a relay or a plug. That the radio just up and died from bad craftsmanship seems unlikely. I certainly would not let Ford diagnose it unless your uncomfortable checking the fuses and relays. Did anything else go out or just the radio? Also if the box that the CD player is located in died, those can be easily replaced from a salvage yard, they are available on ebay for around $50.00 which is certainly cheaper than the $150 the dealership wants.

OP
R
Thread Starter #9
Driving back roads home from work on hot day 95 out. Music cut out I figured serius cut out. When I hit a straight I looked down my LCD was blank.
Turn on off the engine checked stereo power, check to eject cd. Nothing. Everything is dead.
I can turn on sport but can not completely turn off esc.

Thanks for ideas.

haste

1000 Post Club
Fuses usually don't blow unless there is an underlying cause. Let us know if it continues to work after replacing the fuses.

OP
R
Thread Starter #13
Thanks. I'll let you know. I talked to 3 service managers and no one thought it was a fuse.

15A fuse blew for the sync/audio the other one was fine. It is working now.

My glove box is not latching properly after I took it off. I'll work on that tomorrow.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Underlining cause as the new fuse lasted all of 40 min.
Well at least you narrowed it down. You could further buy doing the following. Remove any CD, USB stick/cable or SD card including NAV (in the armrest). If the problem goes away add one item at a time. You could also disconnect the armrest to make sure the short is not there. Look at the Boomba videos for the short shift lever.

OP
R
Thread Starter #16
Thanks. Disconnect the armrest? I don't have use any USB or sd card. Don't have nav. I use Bluetooth/radio 90% and the cd play occasionally. I could try disconnecting Bluetooth and see if that works. It's blown both times listening to siriusxm.

antarctica24

It looks like a blown fuse to me.
If you pulled it out to make sure it was blown that is great, and if you didn't know, I am going to help you next time. First, make sure whatever you put back in there it is the exact same fuse level.

Next time go to advanced auto or auto zone or the like and get yourself a light tester. They are really really cheap. One end has a alligator clip and the other end a probe that looks like an ice pick. Touch the alligator clip to one node on the fuse while its plugged in and the ice pick side to the other node, if the light comes on, fuse is good, if the light doesn't come on fuse is bad. Sometimes the break in a fuse is too small to see.

It great that you found it.

OP
R
Thread Starter #18
Thanks. I put back in place a new 15A fuse along with the unbroken 7.5A fuse and the stereo worked great for about 40 min. The stereo was playing on my way to work and it went out again. I'm assuming it blew the same location 10, 15A fuse I just put in. The new fuses came from Orielly auto and are littelfuse oem 15A.

Money is tight until 6/1 so I might be with a radio until then.

Check the Ford website for free extended warranty? I bought my car in January 2014, and bought the dealership extended warranty. Around July 2014 I got a letter from Ford saying they had given me a free 60,000, 5 year warranty on the "infotainment" system. I'll try to find it tomorrow and take a pic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
R
Thread Starter #20
That would be great, Thanks! A quick google search showed only a 5/60 for 17 f150 infotainment warranty.