Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Focus ST VS Fiesta ST

def_1

Hey guys,

I know these threads have been done before but I am hoping for some new insight into what you guys think.

I was initially planning on getting a FiST I thought it was such a blast to drive. I even put down a 500 dollar deposit to get them to bring one over from another dealership. When I drove this car compared to the focus back to back I liked the Fiesta a lot better.

However, there was a delay getting the fiesta here and so they lent me the focus st in the meantime. I am having a lot of fun in this car and honestly the interior and boot space are big advantages. I have to admit though that it doesn't bring as many smiles to my face as the Fiesta does. It feels like you have to really push it to get excitement from it and on day to day driving around the city, it seems like it has a little too much power to make it fun without getting into dangerous situations. With the fiesta, I was able to sling that things around city corners and it felt so planted and fun.

It seems like I could probably end up getting the Focus for a similar price as the Fiesta with incentives and stuff.

So I am wondering, would I be crazy to go with the Fiesta just because it has a little extra fun factor even though I'd be giving up a nicer ride and larger space?

DangerMouse

I was doing the opposite. I spent months looking at and test driving used focus st. Finally I drove a brand new Fiesta st and bought it the same day. It is my daily driver fun car. We have my wife's car as the family car and our old scion xb as the work horse for those home depot runs. I made the right choice for me.

I would say if you need the extra room for hauling around stuff then definitely go with the focus, it's more of an actual usable car.

But, I have filled the Fiesta full of tools and equipment and hit the highway and it was fine, my brother didn't care too much for the harsh ride, he likes comfort over performance.

Either way I think you will be happy, both are great cars.

OP
D

def_1

Thread Starter #3
So I took the Focus ST out again. This time I wanted to really get a feel for it. I took it through the same mountain road I took the fiesta on and it just didn't excite me in the same way. The steering is very numb and going through the curved roads the car felt very big. I was having a hard time putting it through corners while still staying in my lane. I felt like there was substantial more body roll. I felt like the car lacked the poise of the Fiesta, I wasn't even driving the car at its limit but it felt way less composed through the corners and I was honestly scared if I pushed the car harder the unpredictable handling might have me end up somewhere I didn't want to be.

On the straights, its a fun car. Whenever there is an open road this car reminds me of my old Evo VIII and the boost and torque it used to have. However, I think after driving the Fiesta I found something I didn't realize before and that is that I like handling over power.

I will have to test drive the Fiesta again once it actually gets in, but based off my memories of the initial test drive. I think thats the car I'll be taking home.

I was hell bent on getting the Focus, after test driving one numerous times, until I decided to just try the Fiesta. Wow, what a difference. I bought the Fiesta ultimately. The car is just plain fun!!!

zanethan

So I took the Focus ST out again. This time I wanted to really get a feel for it. I took it through the same mountain road I took the fiesta on and it just didn't excite me in the same way. The steering is very numb and going through the curved roads the car felt very big. I was having a hard time putting it through corners while still staying in my lane. I felt like there was substantial more body roll. I felt like the car lacked the poise of the Fiesta, I wasn't even driving the car at its limit but it felt way less composed through the corners and I was honestly scared if I pushed the car harder the unpredictable handling might have me end up somewhere I didn't want to be.

On the straights, its a fun car. Whenever there is an open road this car reminds me of my old Evo VIII and the boost and torque it used to have. However, I think after driving the Fiesta I found something I didn't realize before and that is that I like handling over power.

I will have to test drive the Fiesta again once it actually gets in, but based off my memories of the initial test drive. I think thats the car I'll be taking home.
Did you have it in sport mode?? I owned a '13 Focus ST before the FiST (it was totaled in a rear end collision) and had the opposite feel in mine. Steering felt great, car was nimble, no body roll, and I had no issues keeping it in a lane while doing spirited driving. Not saying you didn't experience what you described just pointing out that it might be a variance in individual cars.

I'm confused as to why the dealer lent you a FoST in the first place though? Was this a loaner car that's been beaten to within an inch of its life or was it a car they were offering for sale? If it's the latter that's kinda shady in my opinion as they will then go try to sell it as a "new" car even though you've been able to beat on it as much as you want while it had been on loan. If it's the former then maybe try test driving a non-abused example and see if it feels better.

Not trying to dissuade you from the FiST (after all I did buy one) I just had a very different experience with my old FoST than what you experienced and want to make sure you're getting a representative snap shot.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I have driven a few different Focus ST's and while the car is nice, it is just too refined and not raw enough for me. The Fiesta ST is far more enjoyable to drive and you can use more of the performance on a daily basis. The extra room in the Focus means nothing to me since I can use my wife's Escape Titanium if I need more room. I can put golf clubs and RC planes in the Fiesta, so it hauls everything I need it to. I don't need any room for passengers since 99% of the time I am the only person in the car.

J2FoRS

The FoST vs FiST is an extremely personal choice. FoST felt like a boat to me anytime I drive one. Feels like my moms Titanium that had a redbull.

OP
D

def_1

Thread Starter #8
Did you have it in sport mode?? I owned a '13 Focus ST before the FiST (it was totaled in a rear end collision) and had the opposite feel in mine. Steering felt great, car was nimble, no body roll, and I had no issues keeping it in a lane while doing spirited driving. Not saying you didn't experience what you described just pointing out that it might be a variance in individual cars.

I'm confused as to why the dealer lent you a FoST in the first place though? Was this a loaner car that's been beaten to within an inch of its life or was it a car they were offering for sale? If it's the latter that's kinda shady in my opinion as they will then go try to sell it as a "new" car even though you've been able to beat on it as much as you want while it had been on loan. If it's the former then maybe try test driving a non-abused example and see if it feels better.

Not trying to dissuade you from the FiST (after all I did buy one) I just had a very different experience with my old FoST than what you experienced and want to make sure you're getting a representative snap shot.
I drove it with Sport mode and without, it still feels heavy and the steering is numb. Don't get me wrong, its a fun car and I've been enjoying having it but it doesn't give me the same grin the Fiesta does. The Fiesta made me feel like a kid again, The focus feels too much like a regular car with just added muscle power. The focus handles well for its size and is obviously a sporty car but it still feels big and you cant really power through corners because of the torque steer. If I lived somewhere where there was more open roads and wider curves I would probably enjoy the Focus more.

The Focus ST is brand new less than 80 miles on it when I picked it up. They told me its one of their loaners that they use for this purpose and will not be sold. I dunno whether thats true or not but in the mean time I'm going to make the most use of this car while waiting on my Fiesta.

zanethan

I drove it with Sport mode and without, it still feels heavy and the steering is numb. Don't get me wrong, its a fun car and I've been enjoying having it but it doesn't give me the same grin the Fiesta does. The Fiesta made me feel like a kid again, The focus feels too much like a regular car with just added muscle power. The focus handles well for its size and is obviously a sporty car but it still feels big and you cant really power through corners because of the torque steer. If I lived somewhere where there was more open roads and wider curves I would probably enjoy the Focus more.

The Focus ST is brand new less than 80 miles on it when I picked it up. They told me its one of their loaners that they use for this purpose and will not be sold. I dunno whether thats true or not but in the mean time I'm going to make the most use of this car while waiting on my Fiesta.
Interesting maybe I would feel the same way if I drove a FoST after owning the FiST.

LaserWhisperer

I couldn't be happier with my FiST. You can actually fit a TON of stuff in the back if you pack it right. For example, I fit a IKEA sectional in the back [cool]

I went through this madness while shopping. I had it down to FiST, FoST, or GTI. This is purely my opinion, but the FoST to me was just a GTI with a lousy interior. The FiST had an even lousier interior, but was worlds apart in the giggle factor. Unexplainably fun.

The problem is that all three cars excelled differently, and our own priorities and personalities effect our opinions of them.

Ignore us, buy the one you enjoy.

haste

1000 Post Club
Yup, test drove a Focus ST...in the rain. Ugh, torque steer, numb feeling in the drivers seat and steering wheel. The Fiesta feels much more like a drivers car than the Focus, imo. X37 upgrade 1 1/2 years later and the Focus doesn't even compare...

OP
D

def_1

Thread Starter #13
Yup, test drove a Focus ST...in the rain. Ugh, torque steer, numb feeling in the drivers seat and steering wheel. The Fiesta feels much more like a drivers car than the Focus, imo. X37 upgrade 1 1/2 years later and the Focus doesn't even compare...
I've been looking at these modified FiST threads and they are really exciting. I had an Evo VIII before the engine blew and I decided I spent too much money on it and ended up buying a used Accord to replace it. But I had so much fun modifying my Evo, I replaced the camshafts, turbo, exhaust manifold, and pretty much every bolt on you could think of. After 4 years being in the Accord I decided I needed another fun car. I'd love to modify this car but I'll probably hold off for a while to keep the warranty going.

I was originally looking at getting a WRX but the dealership here was not giving me the price I wanted so I shopped around. I test drove a GTI, and I thought it was nice but they only had the auto transmission and I miss having a standard so I kept shopping. Got into the FiST just to see what the hype was about and I was blown away. Truthfully, I think I'd still rather have the WRX but for the price value I don't think I can justify not getting the FiST because it packs so much fun and is about 6 grand cheaper in the trim I want than the base WRX.

I also talked with the dealer today just to compare numbers and in an equally loaded trim with the Sync 3 and the recaro seats the focus would be about 5 grand more and at that point I might as well get the WRX. Truth be told I don't think the Focus "feels" that fast, its probably because Im fighting off the crazy torque steer the whole time but the WRX feels much faster and has a better powerband. The Fiesta definitely doesn't feel as fast as the WRX but it does feel more raw and I had just about as much fun in the Fiesta on my test drive as I did in the WRX and for the value I think its the smarter choice for me. If someone handed me an extra 6 grand though then I would get the WRX but since that probably won't happen I think I'll be quite happy in my FiST.

I owned a '14 Focus ST for 2 yrs. and 50K mi. I now have a '16 Fiesta ST. Before I bought the Fiesta I would have argued hard that it could not be better than the Focus. But, it is. The Focus may be faster but you have to fight with it to get the most out of it. The Fiesta is more balanced, less torque steer and just does what you ask it to do. Less money to buy in and better mpg. I really liked my Focus but the Fiesta is The One.

I went through this madness while shopping. I had it down to FiST, FoST, or GTI. This is purely my opinion, but the FoST to me was just a GTI with a lousy interior. The FiST had an even lousier interior, but was worlds apart in the giggle factor. Unexplainably fun.

The problem is that all three cars excelled differently, and our own priorities and personalities effect our opinions of them.

Ignore us, buy the one you enjoy.
I'm gonna' disagree with part of what you said. As I just posted, I had a Focus ST for 50K miles. I don't think the Fiesta interior is worse. I have also driven my friend's GTI. My impression is that it has less torque steer than the Focus. Almost none actually but the rear end slams over bumps and I found that annoying. Ford solved that problem with their rear which kind of rotates on bumps. The Fiesta is as perfect a hot hatch as anything I've driven. I love this thing. As you say though people have to drive what speaks to them.

I put a trailer hitch on my FiST which allowed me to put a bike rack, pull my motocross bike on a trailer, and even tow and launch my '14 sailboat. I have never had a space issue (leg room not included) with the FiST once I put a hitch on, and yes, it is a much more fun car to drive than the FoST.

I drove the FoST at Octane Academy. You're right, it is numb, it rolls more, it is heavy. Stick with the FiST, best car ever made.

I've never felt hard pressed for space in FiST. To me, the Focus doesn't really have all that much more space although it is a lot heavier.

I agree the FoST steering is not nearly as direct. The thing that really put me off of it was the torque steer. The FiST has some but it's really manageable but the FoST has a lot more and it's less controllable. I've always thought it might be the torque vectoring trying to compensate and doing a bad job but I've never had that feeling with the Fiesta.

For me it came down to bang for the buck and the difference in feel, features, performance and utility between a FoST and FiST really didn't justify the difference in price. A FiST without the Recaros really is the best bargain you'll find.

Waterfan

I think after driving the Fiesta I found something I didn't realize before and that is that I like handling over power.
A major contributor to driving feel, but often overlooked, the FiST is almost 500 lbs lighter which effectively negates the FoST's +50hp advantage and provides almost the same power-to-weight.

FoST = 3225/252 = 12.8 lbs/hp
FiST = 2720/197 = 13.8 lbs/hp

Waterfan

[MENTION=7846]def_1[/MENTION] FWIW my top 3 was GTI, WRX and FiST

For me it came down to: FiST was by far most fun, plenty large enough for my needs, and "best value" of all 3 (especially since mine is a 2014 CPO)

Ford Community Posts