Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Centric Rotors and Powerstop Z23 Pad Review

So I swapped out the front brakes on my Fiesta a few weeks back, and I wanted to give my impression of the parts I used.

Rotors: Centric Part # 12061110
Pads: Power Stop Z23 1730

The rotors are very high quality and have a super hard black coating everywhere except the pad contact areas. They are a definite upgrade from the stock rotors. The pads include new clips and dust boots for the guide pins and a small tube of grease for the pins. You're gonna want to get some extra grease for the pins, as the tube that is included with the pads is really small. The pads went in really easy, and I had no problems. It should be noted that there is an inboard pad and an outboard pad, so make sure you put them in the correct position.

Overall the braking performance is the same as stock, which is pretty good. I've pushed them hard on some twisty roads, and I feel they work better with a little heat in them. It did seem like they took a little longer than normal to fully break in, but it wasn't a big deal. The major difference is the fact that there is ALMOST ZERO BRAKE DUST. I really can't believe the difference between stock and the Z23 pads as far as the lack of dust. My wheels actually get dirty way before they get dusty. Best low dust pads I've ever seen.

I'm doing the rears next week.

Let me know if you have any questions.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I am in the same boat as you...bought front centric /power stop cryoed front slotted rotors and bought rears in just slotted non cryo as the rears do less % of the braking than the fronts. And I bought some 1521 pads from carbotech. Look like I may have them on this weekend. Pricey and had to be made....so I guess I'll see if they were worth it. Did you have a proper bedding procedure for the pads and rotors? I too am hoping for less dust with the carbotechs....tired of cleaning the wheels. I'll keep you up to date after install and my opinion over time. You do the same.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Good to hear. Got the Stoptech(centric) slotted rotors in all 4 corners the work great. Running EBC red pads and they want, fro break-in, driver 1000 city miles with moderate braking to have the pad mate to the rotor, then cook them with a 1/2 dozen hard stops. Should be doing the hard stops part next week.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
shocked that a ceramic based pad has near stock level of performance. That with low dusting sounds like the hot ticket for those of us wanting a good pad that doesn't make a mess out of white wheels.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Installed all 4 slotted rotors and front and rear carbotech 1521 pads today. Braking is more smooth now...no more jerkiness. I'll keep you all informed for a longevity report. Oh and FORD said my brakes were getting there....all 4 wheels were at 50% I'd say left with 28k on the odometer Not nearly as gone as I thought they were going to be.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I will say brake dust cut dramaticallywith carbotechs ...almost to none...i do alot of heavy braking on exit ramps off free ways....the braking is smoother ....way smoother and when you jam on it...the stopping is the same or even better than the stockers I'd say from the driving experience. I definitely don't regret spending the extra to get front cryoed rotors that's for sure.

...I definitely don't regret spending the extra to get front cryoed rotors that's for sure.
are the 1521 pads aggressive enough to require upgraded rotors? i had Hawk HPS pads on my madza and they destroyed plain oem rotors like candy at weight watchers.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I got upgraded the rotors for my personal acceleration addiction that facilitates some better metal. Hard to tell if the pads are hard on rotors as I'm only a couple k into my brake job. If you want rotors though....Buy them from Rockauto...it was the absolute cheapest by far of any place i found in the brand I wanted and cryoed with slotted. Only time will tell with the pads though....they were on the high-end but I thought I give them a whirl...and besides they're RED it makes my little blueberry go faster ! Am I right? Haha

Hey TC

Z23 Evolution Sport Carbon pads front\rear and Extreme Performance Drilled and Slotted rotors front\rear.

I did the install and burnish procedure last night. I will report back after I get some miles on them this weekend.

I put Powerstops on my 2002 Z28 which is a garage queen with healthy mods and they perform very well for the price.

My out the door Rockauto price for the FiST was $240 shipped. A good deal for what you get not to mention the new clips, boots, and lube.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Shouldn't have bought drilled.....the drilled holes will start to crack outwards....ask me how I know. Cryoed and slotted are the way to go I've read and found out first hand.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Anyone know the min thickness specs for the stock rotors ? I can't find it stamped anywhere.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Minimum is 21mm....sorry....anything below should be discarded.

I've had the Z23 pads on for several weeks now, about 750 miles worth of driving give or take. Pretty impressed overall. They seem to stop almost as good as the stock pads, without that break-your-sternum initial bite which is fine with me since I have no plans to track the car at all. While they are marketed as "low dust" I don't know if I can call them that...they are definitely lower dust than the stock pads though.

Maybe because I have white wheels, even the lowest dust producing pad still wouldn't be low dust to me...which is my problem not theirs lol. That being said, I got cleaning and then a coating of armor all brake dust repellant makes it so I can tolerate them without feeling the gut-wrenching urge to clean the dust for at least a week of DD duties.

I've had the Z23 pads on for several weeks now, about 750 miles worth of driving give or take. Pretty impressed overall. They seem to stop almost as good as the stock pads, without that break-your-sternum initial bite which is fine with me since I have no plans to track the car at all. While they are marketed as "low dust" I don't know if I can call them that...they are definitely lower dust than the stock pads though.

Maybe because I have white wheels, even the lowest dust producing pad still wouldn't be low dust to me...which is my problem not theirs lol. That being said, I got cleaning and then a coating of armor all brake dust repellant makes it so I can tolerate them without feeling the gut-wrenching urge to clean the dust for at least a week of DD duties.
They are OK for the first stop but after a few spirited braking on a twisty road the pads are overheated and toast. The factory pads are better even with the high amount of dust they make.