Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Have You Switched Oem TPMS to New Wheels? Problems

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I got new wheels today, switched my TPMS sensors over, and can't get the TPMS light to go out or the sensors programmed to the new wheels. Have others been able to successfully transfer the oem TPMS sensors to new aftermarket wheels (TD Pro Race 1.2s in this instance) ? Each sensor was reinstalled in its original position on the car.
I asked about this before I got the wheels and a number of sources said you can switch them, my car and oem wheels/sensors are new, 2700 miles on them. The shop was a high end tire shop with the Hunter Road Force balancing machines you want, recommended by a car buddy, with lots of high end and performance cars on the lot. They said they had never broken a sensor, but that they would make it right if they did.
When I drove off, the guy said after a mile or so the sensors would reinitialize and the TPMS light would go out. It didn't, so I swung by my dealer. They tried a Ford reset tool and a generic one and both said that two sensors were inactive. The light stayed on. When I got home, I tried the reset procedure the ST Manual shows for after rotation: put in programming mode, let air out in sequence until the horn blows, 1 beep for success, 2 for not so much. It didn't work, pumped them back up (the Ford manual reset procedure is a hassle btw.)
This ruined my excitement at getting new wheels, although the wheels themselves look great.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
You should be able to switch them. I just did actually from another FiST owner. Could not get the TP19 tool to activate them, the drop pressure did not work neither. Went to Ford and had them use their TPMS tool and everything was fine. Now you state 2 did not activvate. Did you have the wheels off the car long? If not moved the TPMS go into a sleep mode and require up to 30 miles of driving to wake them up. This is to save battery. Batteries last 5-10 years.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
The wheels were off the car for 45 minutes to maybe a bit over an hour, and I drove about 15 miles home. How does switching them differ from just normal sitting to inactivate them? And does the 30 miles need to be in one trip, or can it be over a couple trips. Thanks for your help.

DangerMouse

Most likely they didn't get put back in the exact spot. You will need the tpms19 tool you can get on amazon for $32 ish.

You will need to put the car in program mode, not the version in the manual.

With car off, get in and shut the door.

Push brake pedal and release.

Hit start button without the clutch 5 times. On off on off on

Push and release brake pedal

Hit start button 5 times on off on off on

Horn should honk

Then put the tpms19 tool on the driver side front by valve stem press button, horn will honk.

Do the same for passenger front

Passenger rear

Drivers rear

That's it, you are done.

I have done this a twice now from swapping winter wheels and tires, works perfect. The tire shops can never get it to work.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just to review, IF I do NOT want to install ANY sensors at all in my new summer wheels (also 1.2s), there is NO drawback/negative besides the cluster light always being lit (i.e; warning buzzers. horn honks, anything disabled, etc.) correct? [dunno]

Last edited:
OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
But why would the tpms 19 work when the two at the Ford dealer didn't? One was a big one for all cars, one was supposed to be a Ford one, but was bigger than the 19.

DangerMouse

You are right, the ford tool should have fixed it. I would drive again for awhile and see if they weren't ready. When I switched back to my stockers for summer it took over a week before the tpms light came on. If that doesn't work then definitely get the shop that did it, to replace them.

DangerMouse

Just to review, IF I do NOT want to install ANY sensors at all in my new summer wheels (also 1.2s), there is NO drawback/negative besides the cluster light always being lit (i.e; warning buzzers. horn honks, anything disabled, etc.) correct? [dunno]
Mine only dinged the first time to warn me. But a box pops up on the screen. It was annoying. Also, most shops won't rotate or mount and balance without sensors, unless you know a guy or do it yourself. I bought winter wheels and tires for my wife's car without sensors, and we could not find a shop to even put them on the car, so I did it myself. But if she needed a tire replaced, they won't mount and balance it. Sensors arent that expensive for the fiST, so I would just get a set, I got mine from tire rack, didn't want to mess around with eBay for something like that.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
For you guys who switched the oem TPMS sensors over to aftermarket wheels,

1-Did you have to reprogram the sensors?

2-What did you use to reprogram- the Ford TPMS 19 tool, or did you go to the dealer?

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Most likely they didn't get put back in the exact spot. You will need the tpms19 tool you can get on amazon for $32 ish.

Horn should honk

Then put the tpms19 tool on the driver side front by valve stem press button, horn will honk.

Passenger rear

Drivers rear

That's it, you are done.

I have done this a twice now from swapping winter wheels and tires, works perfect. The tire shops can never get it to work.
Thanks for the detailed info. Is the Ford TPMS 19 reset tool just used to register new or transferred sensors?

Or does it also substitute for the manual's procedure of letting air out of tires after rotation to set existing sensors at new values?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
My summer aftermarket wheels run the TPMS sensors out of my 2011 Fiesta and they connect to the ST without any issues. In fact, I just came in from the parking lot after programming my summer tires. I did have one sensor go dead last year, but had that one replaced, woke it up by driving around for about 10 minutes, and then it programmed just fine.

Horn should honk

Passenger rear

Drivers rear

That's it, you are done.

This. I have 2 sets of sensors/wheels I swap back and forth for the seasons and once you get the hang of it this always works. Make sure you have at least an hour long drive in before trying the reset.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Success, the tire shop finally got the TPMS light to turn off by replacing two sensors that evidently got damaged in the switch to the new wheels. After the original install at the tire shop, I went to Ford where I had just bought the car to get them to program off the light, but their TPMS reset devices showed two sensors inactive, which turned out to mean damaged.
After the tire shop stepped up and replaced the damaged sensors, they were able to get the car to recognize them by using their reset device after putting the car into the brake/ignition switch-induced programming mode referred to by DangerMouse in Post #4.
I'm going to get the Ford TPMS-19 tool he referred to so I can reset my sensors after future tire rotations.