Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Quick question on bleeding after new lines / clutch fluid

codestp202

All questions answered.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Parking brake is mechanical. Just make sure its released when you pull the calipers. Once everything is back together, check for proper retention of the parking brake. If it does not hold the car on a 6% slope you need to readjust the parking brake lever.

As for bleeding, i think the Ford manual states to bleed each corner 5 times, not the parking brake. Open the bleeder valve, let the air come out and when fluid is constant, close it. Do it 5 times and that is enough to pull enough fluid through the caliper that all air is removed from the lines.

As for ABS, i bled my brakes normally and did not have any issues. Some have reported a feeling of air trapped in due to the ABS ECU/HCU holding pressure. To release pressure on the ABS ECU/HCU you need the Ford IDS to tell the ABS RCU to electronically open the ABS HCU to allow bleeding to start.

I recently replaced my rubber lines with stainless steel.

I started RR, and allowed it to gravity feed for about 15 minutes. Then I used my protesting wife do the old pump and bleed technique. I did it 4-5 times once I saw solid fluid, which took 6-7 attempts total each corner.

Bleed order: right rear, left rear, right front, left front.

Did not do anything special with the parking brake. Works just fine.

I have driven the car a few hundred miles and once AutoCross event since the change with no issues. On a side not, do not expect the brakes to feel differenly after swapping to SS lines.

Since you guys are on the subject, how much fluid does it generally take to bleed the lines? Mine are feeling a bit soft after a little track time and I'm thinking I should bleed them before I take it out on track again.

OP
codestp202

codestp202

Thread Starter #5
Since you guys are on the subject, how much fluid does it generally take to bleed the lines? Mine are feeling a bit soft after a little track time and I'm thinking I should bleed them before I take it out on track again.
1 litre should be more then enough. Should do them before your next track day. I used motul 600 and before my next track day in July I'll be bleeding again.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Don't let air get into the ABS pump, which means keep the reservoir from going dry, and you will be fine with the ABS. A friend of mine drained the entire system in his Cobra to fit massive brakes, but didn't realize there was air trapped in the ABS pump. He found out on track at the end of a straight away over 130mph when he jumped on the brakes for turn 1 and the ABS pump pushed air into the lines and the pedal went soft. Big pucker moment, but no damage done.

For the handbrake, I just cycled it a bunch of times to extend the piston. Doing that and a few days of driving made the handbrake feel back to normal.

ForScan has it built it. just did it with it after searching for someone locally who could do it on a Saturday.

remembered it could read abs module and did have the procedure built it in to the program.