Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Centric rotors. Anyone have issues with them? Had one fail today.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Installed new pads and rotors all around today. Was bedding in the pads on third stop from like 45 when something blew up in rear of car loud as can be so pulled over. Looked at back wheel area and found the broken rotor.Never had anything like that happen before. I'm not sure I want them on the front of my car. Also think I should prob swap out the other rear one tomorrow. Anyone else ever have issue like this? The cast where broke doesn't look right to me.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
YIKES INDEED!! [ohcrap]

So many swear by this brand (and the slotted Stop Tech versions), but this does NOT inspire much confidence in their products (even though yes, it could and maybe sometimes does also happen to even top line, much costlier, not China made rotors).

Hopefully, this IS a 'one off' type of occurrence, and NOT indicative of ALL of their products, but it will make me think twice about using their rotors (and I was planning on the slotted Stop techs when the factory deals wore out). [:(]

Maybe I will try out the Hawk Quiet Slots (sadly also China produced), or the Brit made EBC Ultimax at the first change.
I wonder IF the Motorcrafts, or Delcos are any better? [dunno]

I do wish that either Brembo, or Zimmerman made blank factory style rotors for these cars.

BTW; were these the Cryo treated version, or the regular, or "high carbon" versions???

DangerMouse

Woah not good. I have used them on a few of my cars without issue. Currently have a set on my scion xb for about two years now.

I would probably get them when the time comes for the fiST. Hopefully it was just one bad rotor. Did you get a chance to inspect the other 3?

Probably just a one in a million casting error. Me personally would just shrug it off as long as nothing else was damaged. Shit happens, 90% + of all metal parts OE or aftermarket are made in China so there's bound to be an error somewhere.

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
This was the high carbon one. I'm with the above that stuff like this just happens. I just figure good to Leave feedback good or bad.

Damn! I've been running these in the rear for over 15k now with no problems. And just installed their slotted ones in the front two weeks ago. I'd contact them about it for sure, I'm sure it's a 1 in a million issue or else everyone would be having the same problem.

Any chance there was something wrong with the caliper install? ie the caliper was catching on its slides, "pulling" the brake surface inwards. Or a stone got thrown up and caught, jamming it.

I've got about 450 miles on mine, with EBC Redstuffs and I've had no complaints. There's always a bad egg somewhere, hopefully yours was just a fluke. Definitely get in touch with Centric and let them know! Glad you and your car are alright.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm sure it's a 1 in a million issue or else everyone would be having the same problem.
Yes, hopefully this is the case as that is the first time I've ever seen that type of failure on ANY rotor, on any platform, and from any aftermarket company. ;)

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Let's not start a Centric hate thread.. I've used their rotors for years on track without issue. This must be either a knock-off or a defect. Where did you buy them? Contact Centric.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Is it normal for their rotors to appear that... blue?

If that were a standard metal rotor it'd look severely overheated.

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Any chance there was something wrong with the caliper install? ie the caliper was catching on its slides, "pulling" the brake surface inwards. Or a stone got thrown up and caught, jamming it.

Everything was good as far as I know. Nothing was rubbing etc.No signs of anything on rotor. I'd prob still buy the brand. Everyone has to have a failure here and there.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'd prob still buy the brand. Everyone has to have a failure here and there.

Let's not start a Centric hate thread.. I've used their rotors for years on track without issue. This must be either a knock-off or a defect. Where did you buy them? Contact Centric.
+1 to BOTH above, but even if it is a one in a trillion anomaly, that is still kind of scary. [doorpeek]

haste

1000 Post Club
I installed two new rear centric cryo-treated rotors and OEM pads yesterday. I've driven 300 miles since then without issue. Ordered the rotors from tirerack.

Installed new pads and rotors all around today. Was bedding in the pads on third stop from like 45 when something blew up in rear of car loud as can be so pulled over. Looked at back wheel area and found the broken rotor. It was a brand new centric. Never had anything like that happen before. I'm not sure I want them on the front of my car. Also think I should prob swap out the other rear one tomorrow. Anyone else ever have issue like this? The cast where broke doesn't look right to me.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/plainrt/Mobile%20Uploads/52833A30-D2D8-4F20-B896-E6163586BD37_zpsvkqgv2vk.jpg[/QUOTE]

That is a side load problem, not a linear load. It was caused by an install error, most likely the e-brake adjustment wasn't released and held serious side load on the rotor when the brakes were applied. Could have been some foreign material between the rotor and hub as well. No matter, the installer has full responsibility, so take the high road and figure out wtf you did wrong. Also, high-carbon rotors are much more brittle than ductile iron, so they crack instead of bending/warping.

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
That is a side load problem, not a linear load. It was caused by an install error, most likely the e-brake adjustment wasn't released and held serious side load on the rotor when the brakes were applied. Could have been some foreign material between the rotor and hub as well. No matter, the installer has full responsibility, so take the high road and figure out wtf you did wrong. Also, high-carbon rotors are much more brittle than ductile iron, so they crack instead of bending/warping.

It's not exactly rocket science to install pads and rotors on these cars. Nothing was binding or rubbing on anything etc. it was all free rolling. As for the coloring the other side has the same slight tint and held up at autocross just fine. Installed another rotor on other side that broke and it was just fine.

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
It is what it is though. I prob shouldn't have ordered the high carbon ones to begin with for this application. Where I got them from didn't have many options.

Also is there any mods that can edit my title to take out brand name as I don't feel the need for it as can happen to any brand as I have seen with searching the net.