Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Prospect of 2018 3 cyl?

I see that the EU will be getting the turbo 3 cyl and I felt this sinking feeling in my gut. I understand power to weight ratio but, it is the idea of one less cylinder that bothers me. Ideally, isn't a four better balanced... and, is it slated to come to the US? [sad]

haste

1000 Post Club
Balancing is a non-issue. Cylinders 1 and 3 are companion cylinders and cylinder 2 will be all by itself in the middle.

I am disappointed there will be less power output from the new Fiesta ST...hopefully an RS is in the works.

I mean at this point we may not be getting the Fiesta ST at all in the US. I would actually prefer the old (our current) 1.6L I4 over this new 3 cylinder. If the interior is as much as an upgrade as it seems, I would be interested in picking one up even with the old motor.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Balancing is a non-issue. Cylinders 1 and 3 are companion cylinders and cylinder 2 will be all by itself in the middle.

I am disappointed there will be less power output from the new Fiesta ST...hopefully an RS is in the works.
Why would you say less power from the new ST........197 HP, same as we currently have stock. If we even get one.

haste

1000 Post Club
Why would you say less power from the new ST........197 HP, same as we currently have stock. If we even get one.
I should have said less overall power potential. My bad...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Among the concerns that were expressed in another similar thread were, less available overhead for modifying more power into it.

If like 99% of the folks out there, who will keep it stock, then the matter of available overhead won't matter; only one of possible durability.

Presumably, an engine that spends more of it's operating time at 85% of it's load capacity (more RPMs, higher cylinder pressures,) is not going to last as long as an engine that spends more of it's time operating at just 65% of it's load capacity.

But the 3 cylinder may have advancements in engineering and manufacturing design that could mitigate that presumption. After all, your current generation 4 cylinder will outlast the 1970s 8 cylinders while producing as much or more power.

Before passing judgement one way or the other, we'll just have to pay close attention to see what's happening with the current generation of 3 cylinders that are already out in the field.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
You give up 6% in displacement.....but gain in lower rotating mass and lower weight. If you can get 350 HP from the 1.6L without a big deal then I suspect you will get 335 HP or so from the 1.5L......

You give up 6% in displacement.....but gain in lower rotating mass and lower weight. If you can get 350 HP from the 1.6L without a big deal then I suspect you will get 335 HP or so from the 1.5L......
Displacement is only part of the equation when you are losing a cylinder.

OP
J
Thread Starter #11
Well I am moving myself into position to order a 4cyl 2017 around August. I want one of the last 4 cylinder cars. I think the aftermarket is much better at this point as well as reliability. [woot]

Butterybunz

Am I the only one secretly wanting it to be a 3 cylinder, or not even come to the US at all? I know it's selfish, but I just bought my 2017 and like the idea of it holding it's value if either of the things I just mentioned are a reality.

OP
J
Thread Starter #14
I wonder what is the latest that I can hold out to order a 4 cyl? If they are bringing out the 2018s soon, when can I order one of the last 2017s?