Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LSD Installation Thread

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
As it says FINALLY got around to pulling the gear box and craking the case to add my Quaife LSD. only to find out I forgot to order a seal so the install will be a bit longer than i hoped But i can find other things to put on the car while I wait ;)

Just wanted to give a shout out to the Folks that helped my pull this together

Chalon Mumphrey
Perfect Circle Autosport (Quaife LSD reseller)
www.pc-autosport.com

Sekred for pointing me in the direction of the bearings...

Dave S in the UK my hook up for bearings

Steve at Tascaparts dot com for the bolts and shims a few of the parts ford released ..

So here we go in pictures

Tranny Is OUT it is a very tight fit and you need to remove the drivers side mount completely off the car and off the Transmission to have room to drop it out.

Flywheel is a hefty Dual mass and clutch and pressure plate here

Bellhousing end with input shaft and throw out bearing

Case is opened

Other side of case open and gear set about to be removed

Looking into the removed case you can see the yellow oil return tray and the blackish this and the bottom is a magnet to collect metal particals (green arrows pointing to it)

Next 2 are the throw out bearing side view and front view it looks a little blueish but made no noise when it was removed so it will go back in ;)

Here are the Gear sets and the Rev gear is the single gear with arm attached near shift selector as well as the factory Diff with gear on and the Quaife Diff

Factory open Diff

Quaife Diff with Bearing install tool and ring gear fitted and torqued to spec

Quaife with bearing install tool sitting atop.

The main reason I am waiting on a seal is I did not understand that to get a preload or shim spacer reading I would need to remove the seal to drive out the bearing race and install my new bearing race. (Duh) in the past I have been able to just use feeler gauges to figure out the required spacer needs this one required a little more work and a Dail indicator .. AS it turned out I could have gotten by with the same spacer shim that was in there and reused the seal and bearing race as the Shim came out to the same as what was in there LOL Oh well this way i have new bearings and races as well as a new seal ... [lockdance]

A note on the Seal best I can tell is our car uses the same seal and the MTX75 trans and the MMT6 as well as the VXT75 figured this out by cross referencing the Numbers on the Seals which are (F437A) (93ZT-3K169-A9C)

I have a few on order to make sure they do indeed fit ;)

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Very nice, bearing installation tool, does that come with the Quaife?. Whats the spec for the end float out of interest?

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Very nice, bearing installation tool, does that come with the Quaife?. Whats the spec for the end float out of interest?
The tool I found on ebay just by luck and the end spec it measured by installing the bearing race with NO shim then assembling the two then halves preloading the bearing to 20kg and turning the diff 10 times or so to set the bearing then with your dial indicator attached you rotate the case 180 deg and rotate the diff the same way and then get your reading and add .14mm preload to your measurement .. if that makes sense the manual is mostly pictures so its kinda up to you to decipher the pictograms ..lol f you want i can post up some of the pics of how too..

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Here is the car as it is waiting for a seal in the trans to get here :)

As long as it was hanging around I decided to start installing the silicone lines to match my intake tube ;)

As I said the front bar in this case is overkill i think I could get by with just the rear. I did have to remove the cowl to let the J hook have a straight drop to the engine hook i mentioned i had to make or purchase separate.

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Back on track the First of a few Seals arrived today and it looks good for a workable fitment ..

2010 Ford Focus Drive Axle Seal - W0133-1699525 SKF

Was all set to drive it into place when I thought maybe i should wait for the next seal to arrive as then I can compare since the weather stinks I have plenty of time..
To be Continued.....

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
One important step during reassembly is getting the case lined up on the gearset endbolt plates I didn't buy the ford tool i happened to have a couple long metric bolts that fit so I cut the heads off and used them and they worked.
Here are the Ford Drawings

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Also lining up the shift arms for dropping the gear selctor in .. Not hard if you forget but easier if done before mating the case halves

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Also don't lose the rev gear detents

Here is a Ford drawing of the gearsets with shifter arms inplace

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Well let me know if you need any of the Ford pic-o-grams that pass for a manual as there are very few words in the manual I will do my best to help out...

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Our forklifts at work now use "symbols" instead of words in there ECU's, lol. These are 36V DC powered 12,000lbs machines ( no internal combustion engine ). They have controllers that range from $600 to $3000. They didn't want to have to create 120 different languages inside the ECU, so they us symbols and then give us english books to troubleshoot with. Is ford trying to make the manuals work despite a language barrier or something?

Funny. I'm not interested in taking my intake box out to modify it, but replace the turbo or install a diff ? I'm ready to do it this weekend, lol.

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Our forklifts at work now use "symbols" instead of words in there ECU's, lol. These are 36V DC powered 12,000lbs machines ( no internal combustion engine ). They have controllers that range from $600 to $3000. They didn't want to have to create 120 different languages inside the ECU, so they us symbols and then give us english books to troubleshoot with. Is ford trying to make the manuals work despite a language barrier or something?

Funny. I'm not interested in taking my intake box out to modify it, but replace the turbo or install a diff ? I'm ready to do it this weekend, lol.
I think you may be right and agreed on the turbo upgrade this car just runs out of steam after 5000 rpm .. I mean it still pulls just not as wicked

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
People may hate me, but i bet on equal tires, and with a LSD, the fiesta would beat the Fost on a drag strip, stock vs stock ( plus LSD and equal tires). Everytime someone brings up how the fost is slightly faster as any given motorsport area, I can't help but to think about how much better the Fost stock tires are ( size/wide and compound).

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
People may hate me, but i bet on equal tires, and with a LSD, the fiesta would beat the Fost on a drag strip, stock vs stock ( plus LSD and equal tires). Everytime someone brings up how the fost is slightly faster as any given motorsport area, I can't help but to think about how much better the Fost stock tires are ( size/wide and compound).
Naww they dont hate you they just don't understand your passion .. or not :) lol Agreed it would be fun to watch

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I fall into that at time, passion, sometimes called obsession, sometimes...........rarely but lately a bit more overt about it, hardly ever step on toes but have done so a few times on this forum.........which I felt terrible about.

I spent a few hours designing a high flow single 3" to dual 2.5" exhaust tip yesterday, made an error at the start and fought it the whole time when I should of started over, which now I am going to do, silly to not just do it right away.......

I ticked off my neighbors years ago redoing the interior and audio system in my truck in our shared courtyard, no garage. I really did not mean to but I understand, I was on a quest to make a point and start a business which turned out far beyond my wildest dreams, they just could not comprehend what I was doing and stayed in their dead end jobs....they are still there, I am not.

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Update

Took car out for a few test runs today outside temp 40 degF and light sprinkles ... Tires were Mich Pilot Super Sport A/S3 all season with very good wet and cold grip. Wheels the SVT focus 17 inch 25lb rims so it was very near if spot on same as factory weight (aka HEAVY AS F) whhels and tires... In a staright line the car seemed 'Normal" in the corners is where this thing surprised my with TRACTION where i was used to wheel spin or slip in a hard left or right turn like going into a parking lot cross traffic or truning at a corner and goosing it a bit.. the thing bout put me in the passengers seat on a left turn (usdm left hand drive car) and pushed me towards the drivers window ... All I can say is WOW it just grabs the turn and GO's ... no odd noise or weird sounds just traction where before was a inside tire lifting spin and squeal ... Very Happy so far .. If I remember I will post at a later date with more thoughts but won't hit a track till june now with work and all... lol

iso100

1000 Post Club
Be careful. Instead of push you get insane grip and rotation with torsens. I remember that feeling with the Quaife in my FSP Scirocco years ago. You expect to push and it just digs and turns sharper.