Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New Ford TPMS, Low Tire Pressure Warning after Activation Procedure

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So over the weekend I had new tires mounted and balanced to 16x7 Sparco wheels. I installed brand new Ford TPMS prior to having the tires mounted. The TPMS I used are below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331222293001?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

After driving about 100 miles, the TPMS light came on indicating a malfuction (as expected) since it did not detect the original TPMS. I had the Ford TPMS tool and went through the relearn procedure detailed on this forum using the ignition on/off procedure for the new TPMS is the Sparco Wheels. Everything worked, getting a honk for each sensor without issue. The TPMS light went away and I got the "learning complete" notification on Sync screen. After restarting vehicle however, the TPMS light came on and I got the low tire pressure notification on the Sync screen. I went through the relearn procedure again about 6 times with no luck.

The tires were set at 39/36 psi F/R per door placard. I also tried the hazard light button procedure which yielded the same result. Has anybody had a similar issue. I was thinking of just inflating these things to like 50 psi and driving home just to see if the sensors were programmed to a different pressure from the factory?

I appreciate any help you guys can provide or hearing from anyone who has had a similar experience.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Man do I feel your pain, I have a thread for a similar issue: switching my oem TPMS sensors to new wheels at a high end independent tire/mechanic shop, the warning light being on instantly, and not being able to get it to go off with a trip to Ford or doing the manual reset procedure which I believe is what you're calling the hazard light button procedure.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/13635-Have-You-Switched-Oem-TPMS-to-New-Wheels-Problems

I you haven't done the procedure with letting the air out try that. In my case, what finally got the light to go out and appears to have fixed the problem after two extra visits to the independent and 5 1/2 hours was that Ford showed two of my transferred sensors inactive, ie probably broken. The independent shop replaced them, after quite a bit of nerve-wracking futzing around, during which I became convinced it wasn't going to get the light off. Then, Hallelujah! the light went off, and I drove home 15 miles with no issues. Good luck, my research revealed Ford TPMS systems are a bit tricky.

Last edited:
OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
Man do I feel your pain, I have a thread for a similar issue: switching my oem TPMS sensors to new wheels at a high end independent tire/mechanic shop, the warning light being on instantly, and not being able to get it to go off with a trip to Ford or doing the manual reset procedure which I believe is what you're calling the hazard light button procedure.
http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/13635-Have-You-Switched-Oem-TPMS-to-New-Wheels-Problems

I you haven't done the procedure with letting the air out try that. In my case, what finally got the light to go out and appears to have fixed the problem after two extra visits to the independent and 5 1/2 hours was that Ford showed two of my transferred sensors inactive, ie probably broken. The independent shop replaced them, after quite a bit of nerve-wracking futzing around, during which I became convinced it wasn't going to get the light off. Then, Hallelujah! the light went off, and I drove home 15 miles with no issues. Goos luck, my reasearch revealed Ford TPMS systems are a bit tricky.
So I stopped by a gas station with an air compressor on my way home. I attempted to perform the method where you let the air out. All but one tire gave me the acknowledgement with a single beep of the horn. This tells me that that sensor is either defective/inactive and needs to be replaced because it is not seeing any change in pressure. At least it's only one and now I know which tire needs to be removed again. I'll update this thread once I get a replacement installed. Ugh what a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JDG

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
So I don't want to jinx it, but I believe that it was just a faulty sensor. The same shop that mounted/balanced the tires swapped the sensor for free and re-balanced the tire. The light was on when they brought the car down and then I was able to program the TPMS again with the Ford tool and the light is now out. After ~100 miles of driving, there is no light. Hopefully this did the trick. The above procedure of bleeding down the tire pressure is a good technique for troubleshooting if the TPMS can see a pressure or pressure differential.

Ford Community Posts