Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Painting Tyre lettering

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Call me old fashion (its true so I don't mind). I loved the look of tyres back in the day with the white lettering. Now its very uncommon except on certain truck tires. I am not a fan of the stickers as they don't go over the writing that is already there and thus looks out of place when close (photo look great). Question I pose is I want to DIY this and read that the Sharpie paint pen is one of the better options what I would like to know is, does anyone have experience and what kind on longevity do you get out of it. I don't mind doing touch up every month or some when I wash the car (tend to do it every weekend).

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Call me old fashion (its true so I don't mind). I loved the look of tyres back in the day with the white lettering. Now its very uncommon except on certain truck tires. I am not a fan of the stickers as they don't go over the writing that is already there and thus looks out of place when close (photo look great). Question I pose is I want to DIY this and read that the Sharpie paint pen is one of the better options what I would like to know is, does anyone have experience and what kind on longevity do you get out of it. I don't mind doing touch up every month or some when I wash the car (tend to do it every weekend).
That was in the day of being proud of your tire brand.......there is so much Chinese and other countries junk tires out there. The last Goodyear tires I bought are now made in Chile. Moved from the USA in the past few years since I bought the same tire made in the USA just 2 years ago. My tires will be from USA, France or Italy.....I have zero trust in other countries. And like you I like the white lettering and I prefer Goodyear but slim pickings from them for our car.

On a more serious note... I bought a thick white sharpie to do my tires but with hardly any rubber left I'll wait.

Or do what the stance guys are doing and spray paint a stencil

I already posted a link to paint markers that are specifically designed and marketed towards what you're looking for... ?

zanethan

I tried to do this once but it came out terribly. It's very difficult to get the lines non-blotchy in my experience. So you're likely going to hate how this looks close up as well.

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
I tried to do this once but it came out terribly. It's very difficult to get the lines non-blotchy in my experience. So you're likely going to hate how this looks close up as well.
What about longevity? I heard some can turn brown.

I have used them to mark tires and they last, and ive seen people do their letters, and as mentioned, it's as good as you take the time to do. I haven't used the specific ones I linked just used them as a reference.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

OP
CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
I have used them to mark tires and they last, and ive seen people do their letters, and as mentioned, it's as good as you take the time to do. I haven't used the specific ones I linked just used them as a reference.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Thanks.

I dont know for a fact but... I feel like Plastidip would work... Getting a tin of it vs the spray can would make for easy touch ups too. You'll get a lot more of it for the same price than a pen tubes worth. hmmm... Might try some myself actually...

I read years and years ago on a UK forum about this company in Germany which sold rubber paint that permanently bonded to tire rubber, but the kit contained chemicals that were illegal to ship. Might be something to look into if you are serious about it, it was for the antique car market with their white walls, might help narrow your search.