Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Autocross wheels & TPMS

Hey I just picked up a 16 FiST and like a lot of you bought a separate set of wheels and tires for autox. With no sensors in the wheels, I expected to get some sort of alarm or light from the TPMS, but I don't see anything. What's normal?

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey I just picked up a 16 FiST and like a lot of you bought a separate set of wheels and tires for autox. With no sensors in the wheels, I expected to get some sort of alarm or light from the TPMS, but I don't see anything. What's normal?
Give it about 100 miles of continuous driving, it will come on.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This system is all but useless as far as I'm concerned as it does not even give each tire's actual indicated pressure reading, like even the older GM system does.

I will NOT install them, and just live with the cluster light, (IF that is the only negative/drawback to not installing the sensors in my aftermarket summer wheel/tire setup), and save the; time, expense, bother involved with them, not to mention the balance weight. ;)

So i daily drive my autox wheels as it's not a far commute and i have a beater if weather is really bad. I park my car right near the oem tires with the sensors in them. If i don't do long drives and stay under like 30 miles, my light will never come on. after longer trips before parking near them again it will illuminate and annoy me until i park it overnight again.

nothing bad happens, you just get an annoying light

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
after 20 minutes of driving, the light will come on the dash, a sound will chime, and a message will display on the MFT screen. Nothing else happens when you don't run TPMS sensors.

OP
R
Thread Starter #7
That doesn't happen in 20 minutes on mine. But I haven't taken much longer trips. When some cars have alarm lights that I know are going to stay on (race car stuff) I often cover them with black tape just 'caus.

Zissou

My winter set doesn't have tmps, but I park next to my summer wheels in the winter which keeps the tpms alarm from triggering if I stay within 20 miles of town. When I head out of town it comes on but parking the garage resets it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That doesn't happen in 20 minutes on mine. But I haven't taken much longer trips. When some cars have alarm lights that I know are going to stay on (race car stuff) I often cover them with black tape just 'caus.
I might just do this as well, just to not even have the distraction.

I WISH there was a way to program that light off, but I guess the Feds made sure to mandate to the manufactirers that is not a possibility on a factory ECM/BCM street legal car. [:(]

I might just do this as well, just to not even have the distraction.

I WISH there was a way to program that light off, but I guess the Feds made sure to mandate to the manufactirers that is not a possibility on a factory ECM/BCM street legal car. [:(]
Bulbs fail...

and black tape can accidentally get placed over the light...

Or, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-Fo...ash=item41b9d24ec3:g:XDoAAOSw5UZZAJik&vxp=mtr

OP
R
Thread Starter #11
Even if those used sensors work properly with my car, don't I have to pay my dealer to enable them? And if I do that, do I have to pay him again when I put the original wheels/tires back on?

I think a tire shop guy told me that, but he could be wrong.

Even if those used sensors work properly with my car, don't I have to pay my dealer to enable them? And if I do that, do I have to pay him again when I put the original wheels/tires back on?

I think a tire shop guy told me that, but he could be wrong.
Looks like you can use one of these and swap them as often as you like

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-8C2Z-1A203-A-TRANSMITTER-TPMS-C/dp/B001H1O6HE

or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Tire-P...ash=item5d5d66fc5d:g:8K8AAOSwtfhYocJU&vxp=mtr

Training new TMPS sensors for a Fiesta ST:

- You may need to drive the car for 20 or 30 minutes to get the TPMS fault light to come on before you start.

- Make sure the tires are inflated to the proper psi.

- With the car off, press and release the brake pedal.

- Press the ignition button and turn it on then off 3 times ending with it on.

- Press and release the brake pedal.

- Press the ignition button to turn it off.

- Press the ignition button and turn it on then off 3 times ending with it on.

- The horn should sound once and a message to train the left front tire should appear on the MyFord Touch screen.

- Use the TPMS-19 (TPMS-19-8C2Z-1A203-A) transmitter to train each wheel, starting the the left front and going clockwise around the car. You hold the transmitter against the sidewall, near the valve stem.

If you are doing a simple tire rotation, there is a another method below for getting the car into TMPS train mode which might work for rotations. For a 4 wheel swap, use the method above.

- Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi.

- Push the start button without pressing the clutch.

- Push the hazard light (emergency flasher) button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" on the MyFord Touch screen.

Last edited:

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I believe Solort is correct, I've been researching this for my oem sensors, which were transferred to new wheels, which caused the TPMS light to come on instantly. I also hope to use it to avoid having to use the manual's cumbersome "let the air out" programming method after tire rotations. I just bought a Ford TPMS-19 reset tool at Wal-Mart for a little over $31, best price I saw on it-

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcra...75035&wl11=online&wl12=48278709&wl13=&veh=sem

IF I am going to use them already, I will spend the extra $55.00 to get the new factory ones from ebay with FRESH batteries. [wink]
If we are talking the same money, I'll but THREE sets at $75 total vs the $25 plus $55 extra for a set of 4 new ones and compare lifespans (I will have 8 backup sensors). Let's meet back here in 5 years and see how things are going.

Wait, my car will probably be gone long before then...[drummer]:)

So I guess I will just buy the one used set and pocket the change for other car stuff...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That's just it, unlike most on here who get bored easily, and are so compelled to move on to the next greatest thing, 'flavor of the month' ride, I MUST hold onto THIS car for a HELLUVA LOT longer than merely 5 years (I will still be paying it off in 6, since I am not as; wealthy, accomplished, successful, fiscally PERFECT, or a 'big macher' like many others on here).

So, IF I do install these into a set of summer wheels/tires, I do not want to be changing them AT ALL for at least 10 years, or ~3 sets of sticky, 200 tread wear donuts.

All the more reason to just do without them, since they do not tell you much, and I check pressures at least once a week anyway (and then I can put ALL of that $25.00 to $75.00 towards "other car stuff"). [wink] [:)]

That's just it, unlike most on here who get bored easily, and are so compelled to move on to the next greatest thing, 'flavor of the month' ride, I MUST hold onto THIS car for a HELLUVA LOT longer than merely 5 years (I will still be paying it off in 6, since I am not as; wealthy, accomplished, successful, fiscally PERFECT, or a 'big macher' like many others on here).

So, IF I do install these into a set of summer wheels/tires, I do not want to be changing them AT ALL for at least 10 years, or ~3 sets of sticky, 200 tread wear donuts.

All the more reason to just do without them, since they do not tell you much, and I check pressures at least once a week anyway (and then I can put ALL of that $25.00 to $75.00 towards "other car stuff"). [wink] [:)]
I was just joking, and sorry if that hit a nerve. Spend your money as you see fit. But I will guess that after your last payment (if not before), you will have a better job or be in a better financial place where you may want to purchase another sporty car (or something to meet your family needs) such as a BMW (which I have never owned), SUV (for your kids), or a Ferrari (after you win the lottery, well, maybe not).

5 years is a lot of life and priority changing time....

I just offered the member with the question about TPMS some options. So did you. Isn't THAT what these boards are for? That's why I am here- to get answers most of the time, and offer suggestions or info if I feel it may be helpful.

Now, enjoy your car. You have earned it! Cheers!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I am; retired, and on a VERY fixed income presently, kids are grown and independent, no wife to worry about, and I don't see my financial situation changing radically anytime soon (don't even play the lottery LOL).

But yes, it's ALL good, as far as suggestions go. [thumb] [:)]

BTW; as sweet as the Prancing Horsies are, why stop there??
Why not a Koenigsegg Agrera RS, or such?? [histerical]

(Personally, with that kind of coin, I would have Mr. Wilson to build me a current tarmac spec, Fiesta WRC without an inlet restrictor, and find a way to legally put it on the street HERE! [driving])

^^^I am; retired, and on a VERY fixed income presently, kids are grown and independent, no wife to worry about, and I don't see my financial situation changing radically anytime soon (don't even play the lottery LOL).

But yes, it's ALL good, as far as suggestions go. [thumb] [:)]

BTW; as sweet as the Prancing Horsies are, why stop there??
Why not a Koenigsegg Agrera RS, or such?? [histerical]

(Personally, with that kind of coin, I would have Mr. Wilson to build me a current tarmac spec, Fiesta WRC without an inlet restrictor, and find a way to legally put it on the street HERE! [driving])
Something like this?

[video=youtube;_hf6ke1-i3E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hf6ke1-i3E[/video]